Alfa Romeo Forums banner

My Step Front Giulia on Drive Tribe

728 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  alcam 
#1 ·
I had the recent opportunity to have my car featured on the Drive Tribes website, so grabbed the chance with both hands.

I live near Donington Park in the UK, so that was an obvious choice of location to have some photographs taken. The fact that I have regularly driven the wheels off the car around this great circuit played a part in the decision too. On contacting the management there, they gave me use of the Heritage Loop for the day, free of charge, where I was free to open the car up, and allow it to get loose for the camera.

Donington is a historic site of many a great race, most notably the Grand Prix of 1938 where the German Mercedes and Auto Unions came over and wiped the floor with the contemporary Alfas, Maseratis and ERAs. You may be familiar, but those Mercedes W125 were so technically sophisticated and highly prepared that they didn't actually paint the things. Instead, to save weight, they just polished the aluminium bodies. These cars were probably quicker than some of the light aircraft of the time, and would reach speeds of 180mph plus given the room. Amazing machines, and they must have stunned the spectators back in the day. The Auto Unions had huge engines, located behind the driver. Totally different to the other cars in the field.

Heres a Mercedes taking off over the Melbourne Rise, very close to where the photographs in the feature were taken...

In my teens, I was fortunate enough to attend the 1993 European Grand Prix, where Senna dominated in the rain, staying out on slicks when everyone else was diving into the Pits for wets. It was an astounding drive, and is regarded as one his best races for applying the car in tricky conditions. Driving the circuit myself really brings it home what skill he had as a racer.

The day took some organising, and the 'The Toms' Tom Editorial traveled up from Brighton on the south coast to do the shoot and talk about the story. I had my fingers crossed regarding the weather as its quite a drive up to Leicestershire from Brighton. Thankfully, it was cool and beautifully clear, despite a wet couple of days previously. We spent some time chatting at home and in the garage, and then made our way to the circuit, spending around 4 hours driving around and taking plenty of photographs, of which the tracking shots involved one of 'The Toms' lying in the boot of their Saab with the tailgate open.

Tom and Tom were really enthusiastic, so I encouraged them to have a drive of the car and see what they thought. Its quite strange, but also fun seeing your car driven by someone else. I've owned this car for over 6 years now, and had many adventures with it. I still get a rush of pride when I open the garage door and see my old step front Giulia peeking out.

I'm really pleased with how the story and the photos came out.

https://drivetribe.com/p/dHiAxPWNQNC1wZj2nTnTrg?iid=Kdu8a_0uS9SXrSEbrJshRQ

See less See more
1 2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.