Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Post picture of your mug and your car...

9K views 59 replies 37 participants last post by  Raimondo 
#1 ·
I thought it would be very interesting/fun to actually see the faces attached to the cars and threads, maybe mention why you own an Alfa Romeo and how you come upon them.....

Maybe age, what you do for work?

I'll start....

I drove my first Alfa Romeo in 1986, it was a 1976 GTV, the 4 cylinder with the the 2.0 engine, I was 17. My best friend Scott owned it and was this thing fun to drive. We ended up blowing the engine on a 100 MPH plus drive to Yosemite from the Los Angeles area. It made the trip there, but died in Bakersfield on the trip back. He sadly let the car sit for years and some guy bought it for parts.

In 1989 I took a test drive in an 87 Spider from Beverly Hills Alfa. The sales person allowed me and Scott to take the car off the lot. I was driving a VW Scirocco at the time. Being very young and dumb, we took the car from Beverly Hills to Newport and Laguna Beach. By the time we got back, several hours later, the police had already come and gone, they reported the car stolen and were in the process of towing my VW. We showed up, wondered what all the commotion was about, didn't buy the car and left in my VW. They were very upset, but had nothing to charge us with.

I own a 1967 Spider, with dunlop brakes, Webers, red on black. Bought it about 15 years ago, still trying to finish it up... very close!

I teach high school mathematics (47 years old).....

My hair was much darker back then, I blame the fiery red head for the graying head.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Come on' you are all ugly as I am.

Lets put some faces to those threads.

What do you look like, what do you do for a living , how did you get into Alfas.

My brother is on 914world forum, they have a thread similar to what I am proposing and they seem to love it.

You guys always claim if there is no pictures, it didn't happen. Same with fishing pics, if you don't have a picture of the fish you claim you caught, it didn't happen. I say, if we don't see your mug here, you don't exist......

POST YOUR MUG!!!!!

#3 · (Edited)
Here's an Ugly One!! Caught the bug over 34 years ago when I bought me 82 Spider(Best YEAR), which I still run and own today. I love the 116's they fit my style of driving. I'm an electronics s Guru! I fix everything from tubes to today's stuff. Never replaced an ALFA sensor in my life I fix them! Tubes Rule!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car

Here's me Spider! Hope you don't turn into STONE!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Alfa romeo

#4 ·
Top this mug. :surprise: Also in the running for worst selfie, shiniest forehead, or what's your blood alcohol content.

36 years old and I design building mechanical systems (HVAC and controls). I guess I saved this 164 as it was sitting in a relatives driveway for several months and needed some work. The previous owner had this car, and a Milano before it, and that was my main intro to Alfa Romeo.

Attachments

#5 ·
Well, I've been lucky to own and work on a couple Alfas in my life. This is my one of my two keepers, the Alfa Warrior Rat Rod, along with the Blue Meanie.
Age?
Incredibly, I have made it to 62.
What do I do?
Am a musician first and always, still playing hard Rock.
For a living?
Bare bones existence rebuilding Alfas.
The reward is driving them all.

Attachments

#6 ·
sorry for the crappy quality of the car pic but it was sunny. Anyway, me and my kidlet this spring when I returned to the US to do her commissioning ceremony. I am retired Air Force and live in Italy near Venice. Ruff life but someone has to do it!! I work in a grocery store as a bag boy and love it!! I spend my days interacting with 7 year olds for the most part. Distracting them while Mom does the "debit or credit" dance. I currently have 2 Alfas. Both are 1989 models, euro spec. 164 is a 2 litre 4 cylinder - Rossa - you see here and RC Mostro, a 75 that is fast and loud. A 75 is a Milano with an itsy bitsy motor. These 2 are my 3d and 4th. 1st was a GTV Alfetta, 79 model with Spica and 2d was an 88 Graduate. I liked it but it wasn't what I'd call love.

It's weird, living in the motherland where Alfa is really just a car. I hardly ever see another 164 and very few 75s. Parts are pretty easy to find and pretty cheap for the most part. Other things I do are woodworking, camping and outdoorsy stuff. We're buying a boat this coming spring it seems so will learn to sail as well. I'll be 55 in a few months and enjoy living. Cheers to all. Ciao, chris

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Alfisto and two of the 164 fleet

My pix of me is with Walter and his mech at their shop in IT when I visited jc96 couple years ago.

The white 91 164L is one of my latest rescue projects and the black 91 164S is one of my older rescue projects.

I am the quasi Captain of the 164 Ship of Fools 164 Rescue Society.

I am approaching the age of dirt as I am a 1940 model.

Currently in my 3rd career of "Still playing with Cars, but at a slower pace now.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
I think it was around 86 when I saw the GTV6 and didn't know what it was, but immediately knew I liked it! I always wanted to get a late 60's XKE or Vette, unfortunately no budget. I did buy an 84 Spider and cleaned it up and upgraded the suspension to get ride of that ridiculous roll she would do into corners. I liked that car but it was small and I just had my first boy, so she had to go.
Fast forward 20 years and I had just gotten rid of my 750il and needed something to tinker with, and I found this GTV6, and I had never seen these Special Edition GTV6's before, but I was hooked, and I bought this 82 GTV6.
4 Years later and I still need to do a few things to her but it keeps me occupied.
Again thank you to all the members of the Alfa BB who shared their knowledge and experience to help get me to this point.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I'm only on number 7. A so called toddler in the Alfa ownership world but only one currently.

As far as work goes I'm pretty much retired. Have a few rentals properties I try not to mismanage. I also coach High School Track & Field here in San Diego and am an Official for D1 & D2 College Track & Field.

Attachments

#14 ·
#13 ·
Here I am 2 yrs ago , at Cruising the coast in Gulfport, MS.

this is my second Alfa, bought 2.5 yrs ago from LA...I owned a 58 Giulietta for a short time (had troo many rust problems , sold it to Beverly Hills dealership! ) see pics

Got interested in Alfas in 1959, a friend in Rome , had a father who had an Alfa dealership in Trastevere...he came to Sweden to visit in his black Giulietta, it can be seen in old picture from 1960 behind my dog

I am 73 yrs old...have had a few different classic cars (Studebaker Silver Hawk, Austin Healey, Triumph GT6, Triumph TR6 , 69 Firebird convert) before the Alfas...

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
This is me with my 2004 GT 3.2 litre V6. The photo was taken at Melrose in the ancient Flinders Ranges, three and a half hours north of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. My brother and I were attending a music festival at which we played. Like Heavy Metal Alfa, I am a bass player from way back, but I play folk and Bluegrass music mostly. We have a band that plays Celtic, Australian and some American folk music and we run traditional Irish style dances. We also have a Bluegrass band in development with the fiddle player from the folk band and a banjo player who was the first Bluegrass banjo player in Australia back in the early 60s. I am 63 and have had the Alfa disease since 2001. My list of Alfas can been seen below. We currently have two 3 litre 75s, my GT and my wife's 159 ti Sportwagon in the garage and carport. I am currently the president of AROCA SA.

Oh, and Alfasrule, you will be pleased to know that my brother is a tube amp technician and designer and we use amps he designed and built for our PA system and guitars. I use a small battery powered tube combo amp he made for the bass. It will run for seven hours on battery and has 17 watts of power.

Attachments

#17 ·
These are the most recent pics I have with any of my Alfas. One on the day I said farewell to an '84 Opale GTV6. The other with my GTV (that would be the Alfetta).

Attachments

#18 ·
I'm new to Alfa ownership. Always liked classics and sports cars. I'm 62 and god willing retiring end of this year. About 3 years ago a co worker was casually talking about getting a ragtop sports car just for fun. We talked about it off and on for a few months. He got over it, I didn't! So after a year or so of poking around on this board, Hemings, etc. I was mezmerized with Alfa Romeos. I saw an add for a nice S4 very local. Was emailing my son and wife in discussion of cars we liked and I sent a photo of the car saying "I'd love a hot little Italian number like this!" My wife sent back "Oh, it's right close by, maybe you should go look at it!" ?
And that's when I set the hook! Bought the car in 2014, loving driving it, and some small shows. Even bring home "judges choice" trophies!
Life is good, especially in an Alfa!

Attachments

#19 ·
Sounds like you got both a trophy wife and mistress and a trophy to prove it. Welcome to the Alfisti fold.

#23 ·
**** Brian, look at you buddy! It has to be within say...... 5 years! Love the picture man, how young were you in that picture buddy? The years pass quickly...... I teach high school math, I feel like that was 5-8 years ago that I left high school..... try 29 years!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.