Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Steve McQueen

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  MonsterJ 
#1 ·
How cool is this?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The magazine cover suggests 1970 though, doesn't it? Coincides with the year he filmed Le Mans. Wondering how be could be in his twenties or thirties while holding a cover announcing the "new" Alfa 2000, unless it's a doctored photo. Does look kind of young compared how he looked in the film though.

#6 ·
The magazine 'Alfa Romeo' has the headline 'The new 2000'. The 2000 was introduced in 1957. McQueen would have been 27 yrs old.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
I found a larger version of the picture on the Internet (see here). I believe the heading of the right page says "1st San Diego Hour Glass Road Races, June 20-21, 1959", and is the Race Program page shown below, which I found on this web page (but does not show the back cover and has ads cropped from the scanned detail pages). Steve McQueen is listed two pages later (on the page following the page he was looking at) with race number 173 "Porsche Sup. Speed - Black".

Newspaper Newsprint News Font Black-and-white

#9 ·
I see that Bob Bondurant later Cobra driver was driving a Corvette and George Beavis who machined my Alfa engine was driving a Beavis Offenhauser in that San Diego race. The 2000 Alfa was the 102 Series cast iron engine and not the 105 Series 2000 cars that were produced in 1972-1974.

#10 · (Edited)
Wow, that list of entrants reads like the "who's who" of 1950's sports car racers. I liked #211: "Ferrari TR250, Eleanor Von Neuman and Ritchie Ginther" and #311: "Alfa Romeo Super Spider, Harold Donato and Ronnie Bucknum" (what the heck is a Super Spider?).

#11 ·
Ran in to him (not literally!) when he was riding his Husquarna with a few friends on the dirt track up by Lake Livingston in early 70s...and I was on mine!
not sure exact year , but very early 70s...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.