2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ITALCAROZ 
#1 ·
superleggera touring

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Attractive. Where? Details?

#7 ·
It's nice to have it in the picture room, but you may find more passionate admirers if posted within the 1900 - 2000 - 2600 forum.

A 1900 or 2000 engine?

#9 ·
Holy crap!!!!

That is a 2000 engine originally designated for the 10205 Sprint. It is serial #00001 of that series of engines.

This raises several intriguing questions.

The 2000 series of cars was concluded in 1961, with the 2600 beginning in 1962. Of course, some overlap may well have occurred.

For this car to have been truly built in 1967 hints there is more to the story. Was it started as a one-off coach-built in 1960 - 1961 when the engine was originally built, or perhaps the Sprint that the engine was in was wrecked, and this car was built on the remains.

Very interesting.

#10 ·
Also, having a "Carroz Touring" plaque riveted to the engine case is quite unusual. Perhaps Touring felt it was necessary to claim an engine that would normally have been intended for Bertone?

Or.... This is, as I said, a one-off built on a scrapped car?

#11 ·
Wait a minute. My mistake.

The engine certainly appears to be a 2000, but what I thought was the serial number on the engine is actually the serial number of the chassis on the firewall. So, it would be a Sprint chassis, and serial #1 of that series. The Sprints were generally built by Bertone, so one must wonder if this was a prototype coupe built by Touring to compete for that piece of business?

Jay - the oldest 2000 Coupe has surfaced. Hee hee. But I'll grant you the continuing title of oldest Bertone 2000 coupe.

It would be nice to see the serial number of the engine as well.

#12 · (Edited)
This is the well known 102 "Praho" prototype shown at the 1960 Salone dell'Automobile di Torino. It now resides in Corrado Lopresto's Collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.