Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1950's Barchetta

Tags
barchetta
10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jford212 
#1 · (Edited)
Now Sold. Thank you AlfaBB

#5 ·
Beautiful........no other way to describe it.

Just goes to show how good the original design was.

#9 ·
That is impressive. In a brief image search for 1900 SS barchetta, I would say, in my opinion, this is prettier and more graceful than most of the originals. They are either more bulbous or more slab-sided in general. The shape on this one is really elegant, and sits on it's wheels so well. The waist and back are SO nice.

I'd like to know more about who was involved in both the design and the fabrication of this car.

What is the rear suspension?
Thanks!

#11 ·
Design

I love this car, and it has me doing some homework as to the design origins of the shape.

The Conrero that the chassis is based on usually has a more slab-sided, thicker, heavier look in the variations I've found. Not near as pretty as your car.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Coupé

This car is labeled a 1900 Barchetta 1953 - again, not at all the same shape.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

This file says 1957 Conrero 1900 Barchetta - not as nice.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sports car

This 1900 SS is more spare and light, but not the same car.

#13 ·
Design 3

The beautiful but much taller and fuller back of the 57 Maserati 250S barchetta...
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Classic car

This lovely 1980s repro of a 1900 has nice proportions, but more solid...

Then I ran across this, which has a similar lightness to it, but has a much flatter body with protruding fenders. Curious that it's listed as a Disco Volante - were there more traditional variations of the Disco made?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Classic car

This is listed as a (built in ?) 1968 "barchetta" - feels more influenced by Testa Rossa pontoon fenders with a completely different and long nose.

#14 · (Edited)
Design 4

Here are some images that seem very close to your car, but with significant differences.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Vehicle Aerospace engineering Aircraft Light aircraft Airplane

EDIT - (Now I think these three cars are related to the "Disco Volante" variation in the museum in Post 14 above. Look at the cowling, ****pit area, and the way the rear fender jumps up rather than flows like the OP's car.)

So now we're all curious - who designed your particular car, and can you share any fabrication and build photos?
Thanks -

#16 ·
Thank you all for the positive feedback. Its always good to hear the views of the Alfa community either way.

Vivace that's a fairly comprehensive set of photos you've posted!

Happy to provide all details to the new owner...;-)
Hi Fletch

Beautiful car you have, I would be interested in talking to you about the car if it's still for sale. Could you PM me some contact details

Thanks

Trevor

#18 ·
Hi--that looks like one of Nestor Salerno's cars--based on the disco volante a stretti fienchi. If it isn't, and you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll just say it looks like a car I've been wanting to buy for years. Nestor Salerno is a Fangio era race car driver from Argentina who runs a shop putting out Alfa and Lancia recreations, among them a car that looks just like yours. I was in contact with them to get one built but then I got ill, and in the meantime they seemed to have gone out of business.

Anyway--any information you can give me on your car would be much appreciated. And if you're interested in selling it, let me know. I have a Ferrari 512BB for trade if that's of any interest.

In the meantime, happy holdiays.

All the best,

John Ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.