Alfa Romeo Forums banner

I visited the Alfa Romeo museum today...I'm still numb!

13K views 66 replies 24 participants last post by  Ledzep 
#1 ·
I'm still here and will be posting a few shots. The rest will have to wait till I get back home
Cheers everyone!
Giovanni

#8 ·
So we're finally home. I started uploading all my pics to photobucket.
I will upload pictures in order that I walked the museum. I have to say how impressed I was. I was really trying to ditch my family for the day but they insisted they come along... Let me tell you they enjoyed the time there as much as I did. They didn't rush me and were coming to find me every 5 minutes to tell me how cool the next section was.
Never have I been so impressed with an Italian museum as I was with this one. The layout, the exhibits, the multimedia, the details were phenomenal. It took about 10 minutes to get there out of the north side of Milano, there was plenty of parking, it was air conditioned, and in true Italian fashion had a fantastic bar/cafe at the end of it. They built a show room to sell new Alfas and jeeps right in the same building and I saw a young couple buying a car right after they walked thru the museum.
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves of the exhibits. What you don't see is the multimedia rooms that had VIrtual reality glasses that let you ride in the passenger seat around a race track in a 4C. They had a 4D movie theatre that showed an animated ride in progressively newer cars. We were strapped in racing seats which moved with the animation, if the car drove thru water you'd get blasted with a mist of water. If the car went off road into the grass something would whip at the back of your legs. I hope the animation is temporary as the quality wasn't that great but all in all it was still a great experience.
My only concern was at the end of the experience, when you get to the gift shop is where it falls apart for me. I had plenty of money saved up for memorabilia and merchandise. It was the most painful shopping experience. They had 1 guy behind the counter, there were plenty of customers, but they were out of products. They didn't have a golf shirt in my size ( just an xl which is large in North America). This guy would have to abandon his counter to go get me a hat in a back room.
Also that same night we all went to the Milano expo 2015 and at closing on our way out of the grounds, we came across a Fiat/jeep/Alfa store that was closed and inside was a carbon fibre skateboard in the shape of the Alfa logo in carbon fibre that the kids went nuts for and it wasn't even at the museum gift store. Oh well. I went for the cars right?
Hope you guys enjoy!
Ciao
Giovanni

#10 ·
Great shots, Giovanni -- thank you for sharing your impressions!

#16 · (Edited)
Ha ha
I had a plan. I like the look of the oncoming car so I thought I would start from the front on every car then move my way around. Now that I had a chance to look at my pictures I don't know what I did.
I have these front ends off some cars, the *** end of others, now I'm sorting them and have to go thru my wife's pictures to see what I missed. Look at this beast. I got three pictures and not one of the side.
In my defence you should see what was around it...
Arrivederci
Giovanni

It was called the "Castagna" or the "chestnut"
The finishing was unbelievable. A work of art...and those were the pictures I got.

#27 ·
Sorry I went and looked at all our pictures but couldn't find what it was from. I will check my book later.
Also the other thing that "might" explain the sharp creases is if the car was first off the assembly line, could it be that the forms that press the body panels are at their sharpest or most detailed?
When I bought patch panels for an old Chevy blazer, I was told they came off the original presses from the factory. Now if you can imagine how many hundreds of thousands of panels were stamped, the patch panels were all slightly off, slightly bigger than normal, and missing some detail.
Just sayin...

#29 · (Edited)
Thanks. Nice photos. I was there in 1989. We had a great time just trying to get in. In spite of having a reservation there were some complications in getting past the guard at the main gate (the same one the employees used, I believe). Once inside it was like walking through a showroom. I imagine that security is vastly more stringent now. I felt like I could have opened the door and sat in most of the cars there. Most had nothing more than a movie theater velvet rope to keep people out. The Sportiva has always been a favorite. WAY ahead of its time stylistically. My favorites were and still are the sports and racing cars from the 30's through the 60's. I'll see if I can dig some of my old photos up.

#33 ·
It was called the Nuvola and the paintjob was impeccable.
Very memorable.
Alfa Romeo created a new color called AR 414/B AZZURRO NUVOLA
for this car, which I believe was the first chameleon color (a color that changes depending on the angle at which light is reflected) and made it available as a premium package on some Alfa 156 models.

BTW, what camera were you using? The colors and sharpness are really great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.