Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1982 GTV6 Balocco #114

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  markdiamondgtv6 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my GTV6, which I picked up about 2 years ago. The list of things I have fixed or cleaned up already is pretty long and there is soo much more to do! The rust spots are my biggest frustration, all are fixable but I am not a fabricator and my welding skills are just so, so. But I love this car and plan on tinkering with her for a long time to come. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Alfa romeo

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Coupé

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey mz - nice rims!
Now I know what you meant by our Alfa's looking like twins.
Looks like yours is in good, long term hands. Isn't it a good feeling when you complete a task, step back and see the improvement?
Nice going,
Hope to see you in the spring,
- Art
Balocco #077.

#3 ·
This is my GTV6, which I picked up about 2 years ago. The list of things I have fixed or cleaned up already is pretty long and there is soo much more to do! The rust spots are my biggest frustration, all are fixable but I am not a fabricator and my welding skills are just so, so. But I love this car and plan on tinkering with her for a long time to come. View attachment 678082

View attachment 678090
This car looks like deja vu, here's mine. (I'm also originally from Staten Island coincidentally)

Attachments

#4 ·
That is a nice looking car! Where are you now? Since you don't have a front plate you must be south of NY these days. Which # Balocco is that? I know stop with questions, I have only seen 1 other GTV6 on Staten Island and it wasn't a Balocco, however his car was very nice under the hood. Wiring was clean and original. I took many picture so I could use for clean up in mine.

#5 ·
Thanks! Nope, north of NY - in Massachusetts. I don't recall the Balocco # unfortunately, and don't have immediate access to check (the car's in a friend's garage, in winter hibernation). The car originally was in Georgia, I'm the 3rd owner I believe, I bought it here in Massachusetts and have had it now for more than 20 years. Still love it.

If you're interested, Autoweek did a nice feature on the car in their on-line edition last year, here's the link:

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco stays sharp | Autoweek

#7 ·
Very good article, nice show case of your car. I also liked your honesty about the Balocco/ Maratona not being anything special. I have to admit when I saw the first Balocco I did love the color and strip and the add on's, but you are correct all just cosmetic! They should have put the positrac transaxle in these cars and better cam's but I guess that's up to us. Car still makes me smile when I drive it! and I am always asked what is it?
You mentioned having the engine rebuilt, how long ago? Was it a total rebuild? and of course How much?? If you don't mind me asking. I just did the seals on the bottom of the engine while I have it out but I didn't change the oil pump or crank bearings (I did change Crank seals). Mostly want to clean up the oil leaks from the pans. I am going to bring it in for the heads to be completely over hauled, and I'm thinking half measures is all this poor car has ever known and I do plan on keeping her for a while.

#10 ·
I had the car restored a long time ago - 1999. Engine was rebuilt at the same time, as it was smoking beforehand. I put in a set of 164S cams at the time, but that was about the only major mechanical alteration (the Stebro exhaust came later). Don't recall the cost, sorry! A lot of stuff was done at the same time, primarily bodywork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.