Alfa Romeo Forums banner

'82 Balocco SE - End of season drive in NY

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  76Satisfaction 
#1 ·
Got some good pics from one of the last drives around here until next year. Snow forecast this coming week, so roadsalt will probably start - and that marks the end of the driving season for me.

Cheers,
- Art

From Canajoharie, NY -

See less See more
#2 ·
Drove GiGi today had ICE all over. She'll be going to bed soon!

#3 ·
Ice?? Oooh, that's gotta hurt.

GiGi - fabulous name. Ours is 'Rosa' but we call her by her nickname 'The Temptress' ...because of the law enforcement trouble she's gotten me in. :whistling:

#4 ·
Starting to get cold here too. 56 right now with a high of 75 later. Might have to wear socks and shoes today :)

#5 ·
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Time to move West....

#8 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm in Schenectady, Niskayuna to be exact - just west of Albany, love to drive anytime I can. My Balocco is #77. What's yours?

This is south on Route 10 out of Canajoharie. There is an old cemetery just as you crest the first long hill on Rt.10 S, it's built by the family who owned Beechnut, so old but still nicely landscaped.

The rest of the drive was south to Ames, NY then random side roads south and eastwards... I just go until I need to head home, then flip on the GPS.

Here is a YouTube clip I uploaded of some driving around these parts, incl Route 30 from Amsterdam south.

The whole area is loaded with fantastic, fun and scenic roads.
Merry Christmas!
- Art

#10 ·
So a restoration is going on? Or just "very major maintenance"? Either way - enjoy it - everything worth doing takes time.

And.. it turns out the pics above are NOT from the season's last drive - all the rain we had during the warm spell washed all the salt away and it got nice & dry, so I took her out for another drive - to Fultonville (to look at a basket-case Jaguar E-type to restore… that's a whole nuther story though.!).

Fun stuff...!
Cheers,
- Art

#12 ·
It started out as maintenance, (change out center part of exhaust) but got out of hand quick! At this point the engine is out and I have several rust issues being addressed in the engine bay, already changed the lower gaskets and seals of the engine, fixed some wiring mistakes and on and on and on! All much needed and brings the car much further along to where I want it to be.

#14 ·
- It would be my pleasure to connect for a day of driving in the spring! We could post a separate thread, see if others want to join up. I once drove Rt 12 up to Waterville, also a nice drive.
Yes, the area I enjoy most around here is between Amsterdam and then south on 30A or 30 to Schoharie. West as far as Little Falls along I-90, and south as far as Otsego Lake / Cooperstown. It's about as much as I can travel from Schenectady and still get home in time to get my Elementary School kids off the bus. There must be some great driving west of Otsego Lake!

- Maintenance that snowballs in resto isn't a bad thing when you end up with a better car, more pride and reliability! Best of luck with it. (An E-Type resto might just be more than I can chew.. still inspecting for corrosion before I decide. I've heard they can be nightmarishly costly and time consuming).

I made it to at least one of the Hemmings shows at Saratoga Automuseum this summer. Nice setting, and owners & spectators are open & chatty.

Cheers!
- Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.