Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1998 Alfa Spider

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lgbalfa 
#1 ·
Here is a pic of our 19
98 Spider it has only 33,000 km's not bad for 16 years old there isn't a stone chip any where. The car was in Japan b4 comming to Canada. It's one of a very rare breed on this side of the ocean. I only know of 4 red 1 green and some one told me there are 2 in the US. If any one knows of one let me know. It's a dream to drive handles as well as or better than my 91 spider. Guess I had better up date my Alfa List as we have sold the Fiat Spider and the 164S is in a mechanics yard as a parts car. Don't know where to put this thread as there are so few of these cars in North America. We are still driving the '91 to Newfoundland on a 6 week trip starting next Friday the "98 will remain behind its almost to good to take but it is tempting.

GordZ
Bobcaygeon, ON

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice 916! Judging by the wheels it's a 4-cylinder, correct?
I see a lot of them these days at various events, and kijiji is flooded with them. With prices averaging $6-$13K they are quite tempting.
If I ever get over my RWD bias, I just may pick up a GTV V6 at some point. They do sound quite nice with a good exhaust!

#3 ·
It's a twin spark 4 clyl engine. Had the 6 in my 164 good engine and very powerful in a full size European car. I have seen a few on Kijji and Autotrader probably no more than a dozen have been imported into North America. There is another blue one in Quebec that an importer has for sale. Ours has only 33,000km on it. Not a mark on it. Sun is coming out so I am driving it into town in a few minuets. Is there any one else out there that can share some stories on the 916 Spider? It handles extreamly well especially when you wan to toss it around at speed. The live rear suspension and 2.2 turns lock to lock make it very nimble my 1991 Spider has a bit of over steer while this one has a bit of under steer. All in the way the geometry of fwd vs rwd I guess. Its still a blast to drive both of these cars and they sound like an Alfa you here the engine noise from the twin cams and the same wine from the transmission. The twin spark is a bit smoother probably due to the counter balance shaft and there is virtually no torque steering as my 164S had.
I'm off

Attachments

#4 ·
It's a twin spark 4 clyl engine. Had the 6 in my 164 good engine and very powerful in a full size European car. I have seen a few on Kijji and Autotrader probably no more than a dozen have been imported into North America. There is another blue one in Quebec that an importer has for sale. Ours has only 33,000km on it. Not a mark on it. Sun is coming out so I am driving it into town in a few minuets. Is there any one else out there that can share some stories on the 916 Spider? It handles extreamly well especially when you wan to toss it around at speed. The live rear suspension and 2 turns lock to lock make it very nimble my 1991 Spider has a bit of over steer while this one has a bit of under steer. All in the way the geometry of fwd vs rwd I guess. Its still a blast to drive both of these cars and they sound like an Alfa you here the engine noise from the twin cams and the same wine from the transmission. The twin spark is a bit smoother probably due to the counter balance shaft and there is virtually no torque steering as my 164S had.
I'm off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.