Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Sprint Speciale with 15k miles. First real photo shoot in 40 years. Lots of pics

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bjorn S 
#1 ·
Before we start...

A) I know cars (especially Alfa's) are built to be driven, and it's a shame not to do so. But if this car had been driven on a regular basis, it wouldn't be as nice and unique of a representation as it is today.

B) When the car was just a few years old, the original owner decided that he didn't like the way Alfa had gone about doing certain things. The biggest of that was that he felt that the original paint job from the factory was sub-par. The car was fully stripped and re-painted, in the original color. During that time he also fit the mirrors, de-chromed the hood, and then added the seat belts and switch gear on the dash. Shortly after all of the work, he sold it, and nothing has been changed since except for the shift knob and polished intake. The tires are still the original tires that the car came with from the factory and only one looses air over the course of a year.

C) These photo's are solely for the shear enjoyment and beauty of which Alfa's are. Hope you enjoy.

It's stable mates

I still can't figure out what my favorite angle of an SS is. The curvaceous rear haunches where the window and trunk meet, the petiteness of the front end from down low, the dramatic side angle, or the long pontooned fenders.

So that begs the question, what is your favorite view of a Sprint Speciale?

See less See more
#3 ·
Being a future SS owner (he, he) I think the car is about perfect from any angle. Ship yours to me if you are tired looking at the side profile :001_tongue:

#4 ·
Slowpoke- I actually completely agree with you in regards to the side profile. At times it's hard to believe that such a beautiful car could have such an odd side profile. Always kinda reminded me of a studabaker for some reason haha. Sometimes the front bumper can provide the same sort of reaction. I still like the side profile though even if it is "unique", definitely sets the car apart.

#5 ·
Beautiful car from any angle!

But my favourite pic of an SS is this one, from above.

Lovely teardrop shaped turret.....You can see they were into the areodynamics and flowing shapes....

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm with Bjorn .
Hate your side mirrors. In fact hate any side mirrors on an SS.
Over the years I have bought 2 different sets for my SS but never ending up putting them on.
I feel its a sin to interrupt those beautiful lines and curves and I too leave my car uncovered purposely so I can look at it as I walk by.

Thanks, Frank.

#9 · (Edited)
Mirrors

Back in the day most sportscars had the mirrors mounted quite a bit forward. It provided a better field of view.

I bought my Super last June and it had round ones mounted on the door.

Opening the vents interfere with the mirror. Changed to rectangular ones on a stalk.

To compare, I looked at pics of the one I bought in 1969 and it had one on the driver's side mounted forward on the fender. A bullet one.

I wondered about the same set up now, but could not do it. It would look weird.

#10 ·
Back in the day most sportscars had the mirrors mounted quite a bit forward. It provided a better field of view.

I bought my Super last June and it had round ones mounted on the door.

Opening the vents interfere with the mirror. Changed to rectangular ones on a stalk.

To compare, I looked at pics of the one I bought in 1969 and it had one on the driver's side mounted forward on the fender. A bullet one.

I wondered about the same set up now, but could not do it. It would look weird.
Growing up in Europe , I recall the "rule" for external mirrors...you centered them over the front wheel center hub on the fenders..better view , but picture got small....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.