Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Romeos sold at Auction in Paris

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Anfanuts 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Except that everything about it is not from 1966. Where to start ?. Wrong size wheels,wrong hubcaps,wrong front and rear bumper bars,wrong front side blinkers, wrong seats, wrong steering wheel and finally, where is the bollino d'oro on the C pillars ?. Extraordinary amount of money paid for a tarted up Polizia car supposedly from 1966.

#6 ·
Dear Grandeblek,

I didn't sell the Giulia sedan. I certainly didn't buy it. I simply posted the link FYI for those interested on the BB. So the "Police car" brought too much money?

You've done the buyer and seller a great disservice. You should've been there just so you could advise them that the buyer paid too much for his "tart"... ;p))

I wonder how this affects the potential "value" of your Super and others like it?

Did any of the other Alfa Romeos in the auction sell for too much money?

How about any of the other vehicles?

Cheers mate! Be cool.

John :wheelchair:

#7 ·
I apologise to you AlfaPegasus for any offensive criticism I dished out. The observation I made regarding the inaccurate details of a 1966 Giulia Super was not directed at you, I know you only posted the auction details. It was aimed at the auctioneer,and the auction company who either wrongly advertised the car as a 1966 Giulia Super Polizia car,or just didn't bother doing their research about Giulia Supers,either way its a lot of Euros for a Giuia Super of any vintage. By the way I have been "fiddling" with Supers since 1977,and they are the most practical and enjoyable cars to drive of all the Giulias. Cheers and best wishes:thumbup:

#8 ·
The Auction listing for the "Police" car.

Dear Grandeblek,
No worries and no apology necessary but your sentiment is greatly appreciated.
For other AlfaBB-ers that might be curious now but didn't follow the posted link to the auction website listing, I've I've taken the liberty of posting (without permission from RM Auctions) a copy of the verbiage describing the car here. Also is a copy of one photo (of many) of the "police" car.

This clearly states it is a "film" car. It was perhaps built to perform a "role" in a recent film and to do so, liberties were taken in construction/restoration to make it more capable of performing the perceived "role." Maybe using a later model body/chassis was advantageous from the standpoint of structural integrity. Maybe the decisions were driven strictly by economics.

Fussing bout whether it is a perfect representation of an authentic Italian Polizia vehicle is like saying the "General Lee" in the "Dukes of Hazard" TV series and film isn't a perfect concours 1969 (or whatever) representation of a Dodge Charger.

I do not know enough about the real Italian Police cars or Alfa Romeo Giulia Berlinas, Supers, Ti Supers, Super Tis, etc., etc. to judge the authenticity of this car. But in my opinion on a gut level, on first viewing this is a "cool" car. :thumb up:

I have the same reaction to almost every Alfa Romeo I've ever seen! I think some other people have the same reaction. These little sedans have a "stodgy" look to them but to the wary eye, there is a hint of the "wolf in sheep's clothing" about them too. I'd love to have one! Even this one!

In 1970, I worked briefly with the late Rasey Feezell in his race shop (I was 18yrs old). As a treat on occasion he would take me for a ride on some of the local backroads in his white Giulia sedan. I think it may have been the Autodelta machine (now owned by Roman Tucker?) that he raced before acquiring his Autodelta GTA Jr. This was a real eye-opener for me... What a blast! It was quick as a mongoose and tight and rough riding and loud. He clearly had loads of fun blasting around the rural areas near Oak Ridge in it and regularly taught lessons on the backroads to some of the locals in their Mustangs and Camaros and Corvettes and GTOs, etc.! I can see his wry smile followed by a grin while relating his exploits "teaching at Alfa U"! I got to ride in the GTA Jr. on the road once too!

Anyways, if I ever get the opportunity to acquire an Alfa Romeo "Berlina", may I consult you for advice?

Cheers & Blessings,
John

Here, at last is the auction listing:

PARIS
5 February 2014

Lot 3
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 'Polizia'
To be auctioned on Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Sold for €28.000
• Chassis no. AR 337918
110 hp, 1,570 cc twin overhead-camshaft four-cylinder engine, five-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension, solid axle rear suspension with trailing lower radius arms, coil springs, and anti-roll bar, and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,500 mm

• Unique restoration to Italian police specifications
• Used in numerous Italian films
• Correct police accessories, including lights, sirens, and radio

As one of the first true “sports saloons” ever made, Alfa Romeo's Giulia four-door almost seemed pre-destined to become an ideal police car in its home country.

Naturally, the Italian polizia selected these high-spec models for patrol duty. The Polizia Giulia Super was swathed in what has become an iconic drab green paint scheme over saddle vinyl, and it was a ubiquitous sight in Italy in the 1960s and 1970s. Given the way they were used, it is hardly surprising that few remain today.

Offered here is a rare restored Giulia Super that has been recreated in remarkably authentic polizia livery. It has been restored to the proper polizia specifications and shows terrific attention to detail. Included with it are items like a vintage police radio, a siren ready to belt out its distinctive wail, and a single blue light that has been mounted to the centre of its roof.

So correct is this particular Giulia Super that it has been used in numerous Italian films, including Marco Tullio Giordana’s 2012 Story of a Massacre, which chronicles the investigation surrounding the 1969 Piazza Fontana bombing in Milan.

This Giulia Super is a true piece of Italian history, and it is ready to be the showpiece of an eclectic collection or to be put back to work as a movie star.

Attachments

#9 ·
Actually the result that stood out to me in that auction was a Fiat 500D for 19,600 euro. Are 500's really worth that sort of money these days? Even a 'convertible'? I'm in the wrong business.

#10 ·
The Giulia is clearly a 72-74 Unificata whether authentic or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.