Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa GT

10K views 117 replies 21 participants last post by  GTVMAN 
#1 ·
Finally, Alfa has released more info and pics of the new Alfa GT:

Its based on the 156, with more less the same range of engines available.
More pics here.

See less See more
#3 ·
VERY cool car!

Looks like when you drive an Alfa with the front wheels the inside rear lifts up in hard corners.

What the sam hill is that TV thing on the dashboard?

It is available with a 3.2 liter V6 ! Bene' Bene'

I take one in rosso rubino.

#6 ·
What's with Alfa's prediliction to make every new coupe a hatchback or a hatchback wannabe? As much applause as the Brera received when it came out, the hatch turned me off. How about a more classic coupe profile in the Giulia Sprint Veloce mold?

#7 ·
Canguro, I agree. As nice as the Alfa GT is, its not a true coupe. Its a 4-door sedan turned into a 2-door. the large area between the doors and the rear wheels makes the car look "heavy" at the rear. A true coupes doors would be much closer to the rear wheels, making it look lighter and more harmonic. Just my 0.02.

Still, its a very nice car, and I like the scudetto a lot. I also like the fact that Alfa is broadening its range. The Brera will nok make it to production, but official statements have claimed that a limited production of the 8C will be turned out. Maybe that will mark Alfas return to RWD.

#9 ·
Nice FIAT:rolleyes:

#11 ·
164QV said:
:confused:
So in your opinion, any Alfa turned out after FIAT ownership is not worth mentioning? rules out quite a few, doesnt it?
Maybe, but I think yes.
I believe the last great Alfa was A75. You know why, all the good stuff's BACK. (Do Mercedes & BMW know better and keep everything on the rear axle?). I hope you'll understand what I mean.

#12 ·
Yeah well, to be precise, the RZ/SZ was the last Alfa with RWD. Anyways, if thats what you mean, please write that - because its got nothing to do FIAT.

I think we've got enough FWD vs. RWD discussions here, just be aware that a lot of us drive 164's (and other post-FIAT FWD Alfas) and like'm a lot.

#13 ·
Ok, Jorgen don't get upset. That's what I meant and that's why I have written ''I hope you'll understand''. I also like a FWD 164, I like more a AWD 164 (Q4) but I could have been in love with it, (if trere was) a RWD.

Please permit me to insist in my opinion. When FIAT produced FIAT Croma (or Marea?) and on the same platform was built 155, ehh I don't like it. I paid for an Alfa and got a FIAT. And I don't like to take me for a fool. :mad:

#14 ·
I'm not upset - I'm just shaking my head (can you hear it? :D )

You know why? because I cant help but smile of the claim that the Alfa 155, 164, 156 or any other Alfa that shares platform or components with a FIAT, should be a FIAT because of this. It is a simple way of optimizing and cost-cutting, and I belive that Alfa is doing this in a great way, by developing their cars in a fashion that gives them all the characteristics of an Alfa.

So you prefer pre-FIAT, RWD Alfas - so do I, but I still like new Alfas a lot, and believe they carry on the Alfa tradition very well indeed - RWD or not.

#15 ·
The Alfa GT is not a bad looking car, but it IS very conservative. The current Alfas are pretty nice cars and they are getting back to being more exciting...it will just take a few more years for Alfa to develop the really exciting cars like the 8C and the Brera.

From what I have been reading in the press, the next generation 156 replacement (157?) should have AWD and be every bit an Alfa. Then we will see an all-new AWD Spider and GTV, and a replacement for the current 147.

I have driven the 147 and the 156 and I can tell you that although they are not RWD, they sure feel a hell of a lot more like Alfas than any of the German or Japanese cars!

Just my .02 Euros!

Cheers,

#16 ·
164QV said:
I'm not upset - I'm just shaking my head (can you hear it? :D )

You know why? because I cant help but smile of the claim that the Alfa 155, 164, 156 or any other Alfa that shares platform or components with a FIAT, should be a FIAT because of this. It is a simple way of optimizing and cost-cutting, and I belive that Alfa is doing this in a great way, by developing their cars in a fashion that gives them all the characteristics of an Alfa.

So you prefer pre-FIAT, RWD Alfas - so do I, but I still like new Alfas a lot, and believe they carry on the Alfa tradition very well indeed - RWD or not.
Ok Jorgen. That's your opinion which is absolutely right. But please permit me to insist on FIAT having ''corroded'' Alfa a lot. You know what makes me angry and really mad? When I see on the insurance on the windshield of a new GTV stating : "Manufacturer : Fiat". The same goes for the serial number's plate in the engine compartment.

Anyway I am Alfa mad, i live Alfa, i breath Alfa, I LOVE EVERYTHING WITH ALFA BADGE ON, but you cannot change my mind. You know what my cousin (who owns a '77 Alfetta GTV 2.0) said when we heard about Agnelli's death some months ago? "Now you can go to hell. You have destroyed Alfa (and Lancia and most if not the whole Italian Auto Industry)". I have relatives living in Milano (near Arese) and you cannot imagine what happens there. Each time FIAT has financials problems most FIAT-beaurocrats think of closing Alfa (or Lancia). Thanks to us these last years 156 and now 147 sell well and they have reconsidered it, but I don't want (and I believe nobody else wants) to know and have the fear that every time there is a problem, something like this will happen.

I wish FIAT had not bought Alfa and I would't care about cost-cutting even if I had to pay three times for an Alfa than now, but I would have bought a true, yes RWD Alfa, without even a single FIAT component.

Anyway it has started with 8c Competizione, and I wish to see something more "humble" RWD in the future!!

BUT PLEASE BRING RWD TO ALFA!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ps I am leaving you now because I have to go with my father to an Alfa dealership to buy a FWD 156 for him.
(I really mean it, when we 'll take her I 'll send photos

#17 ·
Alex Csank said:

From what I have been reading in the press, the next generation 156 replacement (157?) should have AWD and be every bit an Alfa. Then we will see an all-new AWD Spider and GTV, and a replacement for the current 147.

Cheers,
I don't care about AWD Alfas.
I like Subaru Impreza WRX STi when it is for an AWD.
I WANT RWD FOR ALFA!!!

BRING BACK RWD IN ALFA !!!!
BRING BACK RWD IN ALFA !!!!:mad: :mad:

;) Hi, Alex!! Are we going to proceed with your adoption ??? You said something about cooking and cleaning and Mrs nino is waiting !!! Ciao. :D :D

#18 ·
I'm shaking my head even harder now. Can you hear the rattle? I fear it'll fall off soon, if you go on like this.
So youre Alfa mad - I believe that, because theres not much sense in what youre saying. Alfas problems in the 70's were to a large degree caused by themselves. They produced low-quality cars, and focused a lot of their ressources on racing. Admirable, but not returning much in terms of revenue. This wasnt FIATs fault, you know? So FIAT took over Alfa, and if they hadnt - ALfa probably wouldnt exist today. FIAT introduced a lot in terms of quality control - most noticable probably the 164 which as the first Alfa was galvanized.
So, you see: its really not a question of you having to pay 3 times as much for an Alfa without the cost-cutting - but you not being able to buy an Alfa, if it werent for FIAT. At the moment Alfa is earning money thanks to the FWD 156 with lots of FIAT components - and I find it hard to believe that FIAT should be considering closing it down, when the FIAT cars are losing money at the time. Please try to see things in a wider perspective.

#19 ·
There are a lot of people addicted to RWD. It isn't necessarily logic-based, but hey...Alfaholism isn't logic-based either!

I own ONLY RWD cars, but that doesn't mean that I never had a FWD, or that FWD isn't good. Alfa did what it needed to for survival and actually built some pretty good cars since it teamed with FIAT.

The current FWD 147 GTA has been rated very highly by the automotive press and is called "the most desireable hot-hatchback" on the planet!" How can you argue with that?

I am looking forward to products like the Brera and the 8C, but to keep the money rolling in, Alfa must continue to produce cars for the masses...just like they did with the Giulia sedans.

Cheers,

#20 ·
A AWD Alfa Romeo scares me. Only Subaru seems to have figured out how to make a AWD car that will last. Take this from someone who owns a AWD Eagle Talon. Stupid ***^&**( transmission.

While I prefer a RWD car in general. I would not pass a FWD Alfa if it handle well, Had power and looked good. However I really dont care for this new model. It looks a little fat. I agree, Its a 4-door car made into a 2-door model.

#21 ·
Very interesting arguments from both points of view, yes the older alfas are beautiful and intruiging cars, yes they were rwd, yes they made classic but its also that era of alfas that almost led the company to bankruptcy and gave them a bad name for reliability and quality that still affects the sale of current alfas

although fiat might of messed up on some models like the 155 etc, never has alfa romeo had such a competent and qualatative lineup,,,,nebody remember the times of the giulietta, alfetta, gtv6 alfa 90,arna and alfa 6????? yes they were all rwd....so wat??look how bad or ugly they were.........

lets appreciate alfa for wat they are today, ur beautiful alfa gtv and spider from the 70's will never come back, cherish them as much as you can but if things go the way they should we should have alfas that are rwd and awd, since alfa mite fall under the Ferrar-Maserati umbrella,now wouldnt that be an amazin group......IL GRUPPO FERRARI-MASERATI-ALFA ROMEO!!!!

#22 ·
Hmmm, I think some of you are a little delusional :)

Lets talk about FWD first. No matter how good a FWD car is designed an equally good RWD design will be a BETTER performance car.

I have raced an Alfa Sud which was a fantastic handler, but getting her off the start line was a major ***** and put me in the back seat for the rest of the race. Also at 11/10ths through a very fast sweeper it got really exciting :D , and took a lot of skill and bravery to keep on the track ... unlike a rwd car.

Thus do we really aprove of Alfa Romeo producing FWD cars?

If I was in the market for a brand new car as much as I love the looks and road tests I have read I would not buy a NEW Alfa Romeo, as I do not want a FWD car! Thus the 147, 156, 166 (fantastic looker) would not be in my shopping list!

Now I find this very disappointing as I would love to stick to my favourite brand, but one must not stick your head in the sand and just continue to buy Alfa Romeo (or any brand) when they start producing ****!, that shows a lack of intelligence.

Thus I for one am not a fan of Alfa Romeo continuing to survive, unless they produce cars worthy of the Alfa Romeo brand. It is debatable at the moment whether they are???, and it is very debatable whether they will continue to do so.

I do not think they will, as GM is getting too involved and eventually Alfa Romeo could end up being a badge on a sporty GM model :(.

Thus I find it amazing to read some of these posts that say it is great that the Alfa Romeo brand is surviving and must survive. Sorry that is naive IMO.

Again if they cannot uphold the brand, let it die gracefully before the my children grow up wondering if their father needs a visit to a shink.

Basically the current Alfa Romeos are nothing more than restyled FIATS, and FIAT automotive is working very hard on killing itself through very poor selling cars ... so where does that put the future of Alfa Romeo?

Pete

#23 ·
Pete,

You are entitled to your opinion, but until you actually drive some of those cars, you shouldn't be so quick to criticize! Look at who is winning in racing these days...SCCA European Touring Cars, etc.

The new ALFAs are really good cars, nad fun too...and they ARE NOT just re-badged FIATS!

The FWD/ RWD argument will go on forever. I like RWD better, but I am willing to concede that modern (not like your experience) FWD cars are really very, very good handlers!

I love Alfas...even the new ones! It's just too bad they don't sell them here...yet!

Cheers,

#24 ·
Alex,

Good post and ofcourse you are right regarding many of your points, but I was trying to make a concept point, but drifted off :D

That is: Alfa can not continue to make any type of car, and we like blind sheep continue to rave about Alfa Romoes.

The last modern Alfa I have driven is an 164, and it was lovely to drive, but I want to be able to powerslide around corners, etc. like I can in my GTV (many years ago).

I also will never, ever buy an Alfa Romeo with a GM engine (which is coming very soon), as that is way to far for me to handle. I can accept a FIAT engine, but that is it.

Pete

#25 ·
we would be blind sheep to rave about an alfa arna, 90,6,155 but the 156,147,166 etc are excellent cars, like i said b4 alfa romeo has never had such a competent and qualatative line up, and for u pete, i think alfa will eventually return to rwd, maybe not all their models but their sportier models....till then, go alfa

#26 ·
Hey now.

The 155 is a fine car. Both my brother and have have the 155V6 and while you can see how much we rave about our 75's (the last 'REAL' RWD Alfa as some of you claim it is), we would rather be driving our FWD 155's ... or get our hands on the 156's.

Is there really any 'REAL' anything being produced anymore in the car world that you and I can afford?

I'd have to say (on the far end) that a Porsche GT2 or GT3 might be real Porsche's ... but as a member of www.rennlist.com I find the same kinds of arguments, that none of those cars are 'REAL' Porsches anymore since they're WATER COOLED, and have 'too much' electronics (the humanity!) There'll always be some lame excuse someone will give to refute the originality and authenticity of any new model because, it's well, NEW.

Fer cryin' out loud, people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.