Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Guitar Poster

9K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  Evildad 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can buy one of these Alfa Guitar Posters? (I get the first one Blue Meanie.)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No, but I've got an amp I'll sell you.

It's actually an old Sano accordian amp from the 60's that was missing the grill logo so I thought an Alfa script would look pretty cool. Sano amps were very well made (maybe even overbuilt) tube amps by an Italian family in New Jersey so the Alfa script seemed somehow appropriate.

Attachments

#8 ·
That looks like the grille from the new Giulietta. Here's a photo of my wife's car's grille. I am sure with a bit of Photoshop expertise it should be possible to make a simlar poster.:D

#9 ·
Maybe we can get Fender to make a Special Run of these rare StratoCasters for us.
I don't even play but I'd like to have the Guitar and a Poster.

#13 ·
I would have thought there would be a bone or plastic bridge under the chrome cover that you can't see in the photo. It is a great poster. I would like one too. Does anyone know the history of it?

#14 ·
By the way, according to my Italian teacher wife the caption is not really correct. Saremmo means "we would be". In order for it to read "without heart they would be only machines" the word should be sarebbero.

#17 ·
I just realised that Alfa used "Senza cuore saremmo..." in the original Giulietta ad, so please disregard my previous post.

#19 ·
You can't turn a 72 dpi picture like this one into a 300 dpi one because the pixels are not there to do it with. I have Photoshop CS4 and just to prove what I thought was the case, I tried it and as I expected it becomes highly pixellated. It would look crap if you printed it. That is why graphic designers like my son will only work with pictures that are high res to begin with. If you want a full colour A4 photo for a glossy magazine page for example, the photo must be taken on a 10 mega pixel or higher camera in order to get the necessary 300 dpi print. That I know from the university publishing course I did in 2010.

#29 ·
That's definitely true!

You said you can't print your test copy because you don't have a large enough printer. But you can print a portion of the image to see if it's really up to snuff when printed. Just do the enlargement and then tell it to print the center of the image.

#31 · (Edited)
Actually, looking at your uploaded file pointed out the horrid posterization in the original image. Yuk.

You can see how unsharp the two enlargements are by comparing them side by side with the original in adjacent tabs. Look at the word Treble or the Alfa badge under the strings. It just gets fuzzier.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...1370716183-alfa-guitar-poster-alfa-guitar.jpg
http://alfaromeomia.com/alfabb/alfa guitar8x12BiCubic.jpg
http://alfaromeomia.com/alfabb/alfa guitar24-36.jpg

#34 ·
Evildad is correct. What you see on the screen and what you get on paper are two completely different things. All you need for the screen is 72 dpi, for a poster print you need 300 dpi. My daughter used to have no end of trouble convincing clients of the graphic design studio where she worked of that when they expected her to use their low grade photos for the advertising copy.

#39 ·
I agree that Evildad is correct but you said in an earlier post:

"It will be far too low res to be any use though. You would only get a tiny picture."

You can't make a poster out of it but you can make a decent 8x10 magazine ad size. I got a bunch of framed Alfa ads and this would add to my collection.

The original image must be 300 dpi to print a poster of 24x36.

I can change the dpi of a photo to 300 dpi but it would still print lousy.

I understand that there is software that can increase the dpi by adding pixels to the image - in fact I think there are Photoshop plugins that do it.

A high end print shop might be able to do it but they probably wont because of copyright issues.

Let's get back to Alfas!!!!

#35 ·
Posterization:

Look at the transition on the lower part of the guitar where the red gets darker, eventually to black. See how it is stepped, instead of being smooth, you can see it's this shade, then it's this shade, then it's this shade. You can see it in the background to the left of the lower part of the guitar. That's posterization, where there's not enough info (maybe the jpg has been compressed too many times) to allow for smooth shading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.