Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1971 Spider gearbox

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  alfaparticle 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1971 Alfa Spider and just love the car but I have a question. The gearbox grinds in 1st and R when it is cold or just started but after awhile it settles down and I do not have a problem shifting up or down. Is this normal or what can I do to improve this problem. The oil is good and at the correct level.

#2 ·
It's normal. First and reverse are not synchronized from neutral (though oddly, first is synchronized on downshifts from higher gears...it's a long story).

Short answer is that when you're at a stop, either wait a few seconds after pushing down the clutch, or push down the clutch, shift partially into 4th, and then shift into first or reverse. Either will stop the gears spinning and prevent the grind.

More details that you can possibly want here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gearbox-transaxle-differential-propshaft/29492-first-gear-fix.html

#3 ·
1st synchro only works if the vehicle is moving (and not very well). Reverse is not synchronized at all.

Solution: At a stop, before selecting first gear, pull the shift lever down and "touch" second gear, then select first. That will stop the gear from rotating and enable a smooth engagement. Same with reverse.

You'll get into the habit of doing it and won't even think about it.

#5 ·
Synthetic gear oil - Red Line 75W90NS is preferred, will help you shift more easily when it is cold. If you ever get the gearbox rebuilt you can have a 2nd/5th gear synchronizer installed on first gear. Alfar7 did mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.