Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa-Omega (TM) (purists beware) ;)

12K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  redstar916 
#1 · (Edited)
Introducing the "Alfa-Omega" concept by Red*Star(TM).

I have been an Alfa lover since my mid teens. I even took my very first driver lic. test in a 5 speed manual Spider, and passed in one attempt. I loved the car and getting to know about the heritage of Alfa Romeo.

I really enjoy the "restyling" or "tuner" lifestyle. All these years later I own and manage my own body/paint/custom shop
Red Star Auto Works Inc. - Red Star Auto Works Inc

We are your typical collision repair shop, but with a twist. We openned up at the end of the year 2004. I was looking for a niche that I could grow with. So we started customizing the (at the time) new body style Mustangs. The popularity of these cars in my area is huge. We were picking up new cars from the dealership, lower, striping, fitting wheels, tires and body kits and the dealers were selling like hotcakes.

Since then we have made a good business out of modifying late model and restoring early model Mustangs to along with the standard collision repair business.

I almost thought about buying one...but my beautiful little Spider was just looking at me and the once happy smiling face was now sad. I changed my mind and started thinking of ways to get back into the Alfa mode.

I love the customizing and modifying options that the Mustang aftermarket offers. But, Alfa? No so much. I thought and I drew, I drew and I thought...

I have tried quite a few ways to customize my Alfa and still REMAIN TRUE TO THE MARQUE!!! I had friend telling me to stuff a 5.0 Coyote engine into it...;p
But that wasnt going to happen. WHEN I DRIVE MY ALFA I WANT ALFA SOUND.

I am currently working with Larry Jr at APE and Tony Guinasso at AUTOSCIENTIFIC here in Nor Cal. The plan is to swap out my 2.0 Nord for 164S 3.0 12v with chip. I know that there are "monster" V6 conversions swirling around internet land, but I want ease, realiability and am not interested in reinventing the wheel. Larry is providing experience, bell housing, headers, motor mounts and throttle body along with a few other odds and ends to make this conversion as "clean and painless" as possible. Other engine mods can and will come later once car is fully functional. Tony is providing engine inspection and overhaul while out of the car.

I am providing along with the LOVE and PASSION, the design and body work.

I have posted previous versions of my designs and it seems that there are MANY purists that will have nothing nice to say. Oh well, I'm not building this car for them, IM BUILDING IT FOR ME!!

I wanted to share my design and get feedback. I am kinda expecting a bashing from purists out there.

BUT!!! I am also hoping to inspire and catch a wave of a whole NEW ERA in Alfa Romeo restyling!!!

Alfa coming back to the states is exciting for all of us. Ive noticed that most Alfistis love Guilia and sink their money into 50's and 60's classics which some of us simply cant afford. The 70's GTVs and GTA are GREAT!!! But the Spiders are usuallly reserved for wives or children. The resale value gap between GTV and Spider is huge.

I want to offer Alfa Spiders an opportunity for rebirth into this new era. Ideally, Pre 1975 Spiders are the gems so that these conversions dont turn into a smog/dmv nightmare. But I hear that they may move the smog requirement up to 1981 and older. Until then < 1975 is where Im headed.

I hope you enjoy the image and the vision. Any of you interested in knowing more are welcome to contact me.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no purist. I think it's kind of cool. Couple of comments:

1) The fender flares look like they came from a Mustang. I'm not sure if I like them or not, they're starting to grow on me. The Spider seems more rounded, however, and those flares have sharper edges. Then again, the door depressions have sharp creases on them.

2) Seems like everybody puts round tail lights on their custom Spiders. Not to my liking.

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty slick! Make sure to have it ready for the convention this summer!

bs

#5 ·
Seems like everybody puts round tail lights on their custom Spiders. Not to my liking.
I agree. Here's an idea - how about small Bertone GT tail lights flipped upside-down to follow the contour of the body. That would be a right tail light upside-down on the left side and vice-versa.

#3 · (Edited)
I hear what you're saying about the flares. All Spiders that I've seen with flares look a bit awkward in my opinion. I didnt want to fall into the same trap. So I had to commit to making a decided move against the round, bubbly flares. I've seen them with rear flares only and didnt like the look. Maybe ocd but they gotta match for me.

I hope my design does NOT make the "Darwin awards" =(

#8 ·
Definitely not.

Back in the day, many Italian coachbuilders presented interpretations or variations of Alfa styling. If acceptable then, why not now?

Admittedly, everyone may not like some of these concepts but that's what makes us different. Scuderia Non Originale should be able to coexist with purists...

I hope my design does NOT make the "Darwin awards" =(

#9 ·
I'm not a huge fan of exteme cosmetic modification on the Spiders but yours looks very professional and well thought out. From front end renderings, #4 with #5 as a very close runner upFor tail lams, strip LED's come to mind, perhaps short vertical ones 3 per side (yellow, red, white).

#11 ·
No problem with doing modifications but some work and some don't. The spider's style as per Pininfarina is 1950's spaceship, have you had a good look at all the prototypes ?, you may get some clues there, Pinifarina knew what he was doing.
V6 is great , I like the round taillights but only have two, it makes the spider look a lot wider.
Your drawings make the cartoo modern, Alfa/Mazda is building a 2015 update soon, yours should be 1960's.

#12 ·
I do quite like the thought of pretty much any car modified, so long as its done tasefully. Your design looks ok imo. Have you seen what Sreetfame has done with his Spider he calls "The Demon". Simply amazing what he has done. Again, not for the purists, but credit where its due.
I cant remember where his thread is (heaps of detail and pages) Anyone?........

#13 · (Edited)
As a card-carrying purist still possessed of an imagination I say press on! You have obviously made some effort to evoke the styling and design of earlier Alfas- the #4 and #5 versions strongly suggest the 750/101 Sprint front end, and are a nice tie-in, IMO.
I vote, in order of initial impression, #5, #4, possibly #3. As they say though, TDITD!:devil:
BTW, thanks for not even considering the Road Warrior Effect- your restraint is duly noted.

#14 ·
I have seen the street fame car, Awesome!

I do appreciate the positive feedback. I posted some early pics on an Alfa Spider Owners Facebook page and they tore me a new one with some extremely rude comments. I guess the Europeans like stock. :( I was worried about posting here but my LOVE for Alfas is deep rooted and I wanted to share my enthusiasm.

I have the exterior almost completely mocked up and ready for welding/ body work. I'll rebuild the suspension and go to work on the engine swap as soon as Larry Jr is done with my parts.

I am taking note and pics along the way in hopes of sparking some interest and possible building a few customer versions.

#16 · (Edited)
I liked your work a lot. And I am on the purist side of the force. But one needs to accept changes and improvements, since they are provided with a purpose. I am very fond of no.s 4 and 5 for the front layout. As for the V6 engine in the Spider, a friend of mine has done it in a GTV of his and the car turned into a real beast.

#17 ·
Street fame has me in the engine department for sure. Im going with Larry Jr's recommendation for 3.0L 12v so it can more easily fit in the engine bay. And as for right now the engine will remain fairly stock beside larger 45mm intake runners and tuner chip. Later I can look into engine mods. For now, I just want it on the street.

I'd like to see 250hp eventually in a the 2500lbs ish car. 1hp per 10lbs.

I looked into Alfaholics TS but 215 hp cost a PRETTY PENNY!!

#18 ·
I am also at that point. Trying here to figure out how to squeeze power from the Nord. But I am a modest man. Anything in the 150´s neighbourhood for me is a great result. But my friend´s car is nearly insane. He worked everything on the heads, the engine delivers easily more than 300hp. The car has a stripped down interior. A rollcage was added to help with the power. It weighs less than a ton. It is a real italian hot rod, if there is such a thing. And I do like the round taillights of yours! But I also prefer two in stead of four.

#19 ·
I'd like to see that GTV in action!!! I am curious what the actual weight will be when complete and actual HP from 3.0 12v with headers, chip and intake will be.

I just saw Top Gear and they had a Fiat Stratos kit car that looked Sweet!. It was running an Alfa 3.0 and had a beautiful rear end with two larger round tail lamps. Believe me, I took note.

BTW, the car on Top Gear was out of control on the wet track. It spun out twice and had the slowest lap ever on Top Gear :(

#21 · (Edited)
I´ve seen this episode too. I do believe the Hawk kit car is faster, but needs a tail conscious pilot. Stig is there for the kicks, that story didn´t do the car justice. It´s a shame since a Stratos kit car is something incredible to say the least! And I think that story affected the car sales in a negative way. But I am in Brazil, I just have no ways of evaluating that, I´m just theorizing

#26 ·
How about working with the shape of rear lights. What if you were to delete a section or two from each light? The s4 tail lamp assemblies are also nice looking and have good potential. Are you planning for LEDs?

#25 · (Edited)
WHEN I DRIVE MY ALFA I WANT ALFA SOUND.
So, why don't you want Alfa looks?

But I hear that they may move the smog requirement up to 1981 and older.
Yes, and I've also heard that Hell was freezing over. But seriously, I don't think our liberal majority state legislature is going to support any bill that appears be pro-pollution. Sure, the number of pre-'81 cars on the road is miniscule, but old car owners don't have much political clout either.

#27 ·
now dont take any of this as a bash..im about as far from a purist as you can get..but i study lines and flow..so take this all as constructive critiquing

ok..first off it looks like ALOT of it is following in the steps of the demon
next LOSE the mustang flares
the look you have planned is going to take ALOT of suspension mods as well as body...due to the "stance" you have picked
seriousy bargin bin trailer tail lights....why do ppl do that?!?!?!
the blacked out tail looks like you simply hacked it off flat..give it some character and lines
the spoiler lip is too far forward it needs to be dragging off the edge of the car
the hood scoop looks stolen from a mustang...some on..if the 3.0 is put in and moved back you can actualy get away with a STOCK hood....but what you really need to think about with that engine in there is COOLING the air has nowhere to go

all in all youve got good ideas..but being a body/fab man ill say this..make your own spoiler make your own flares..youve gotta thing about the soft curves of the spider body and roll with them work them over...youve got too much angularity on there mucking it up.....ill be curious to see what you come of it tho

#28 ·
All feedback is ok, I can take it ;)
My car looks nothing like Demon.

"Hacked off" tail is actually called "Kamm" tail, which it is.

They are not trailer lamps, but I'd rather not share what exactly they are. They may not make the cut as I am looking at some other rear end options now.

The attached pic is sort of what I am after in the hood scoop. It will also serve to help air flow. The front end I am building will also allow for more air flow than the stock nose.

Attachments

#30 ·
As for the stance...
Car currently has lowering springs and Konis. Now that sheet metal is mocked up, I see that I will need to raise car only by an inch to make it all good. Im going to try a coilover type adjustable spacer to get the exact height without going back to soft stock spider springs.

I do hope not to exceed 2500lbs with me in the car.

#31 ·
i use the term trailer lights for a reason..cause they have ZERO style and have ZERO way of being tied into the car...yes porsche did it yet ferarri did it hell even alfa did it at times...but it NEVER looked right or even good..cause the lines dont jive...and it ALWAYS looks like teh lights were pulled off a trailer...ive seen some guys starting to pull the bmw 2002 lights..while they atleast have some style to them it still looks like a trailer light slapped on the back of the car due to a lack of creativity

and if you think your car looks nothing like the demon id sugjest you read it ...every page...

yes..alfa ran some scoops..but with the spiders nose you will NEVER get something like that to look good and have it work with the spider line with the way the nose is laid out stock or otherwise..also youll have PLENTY of air flow thru the grill youve got laid out but you need to EVAC HEAT...the fact that your going 12v helps alot tho..but its still an overlooked issue......it kinda sounds like you want to put a scoop on just to stick one on it..

and duh i know its a kam tail but if you black it out and toss anything that resembles trailer lights on it..it exagerates it...you put that much thought into the front and lower rear..everything from the difuser up needs work..LOTS of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.