Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Brazilian 2300s and a 2000 (type 102)

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  alfaromeo230076 
#1 ·
Dear Friends,

a friend did send me this picture from a meeting of 2300 (type 144) owners. There is a white FNM 2150 (Alfa Romeo Type 102) 1971, a blue 2300 A 1975, a beige 2300 B 1977 and 4 2300 Ti-4 (1984-1986). There is only three series to complete the time line. :)

Best Regards, Carlos

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for posting. Cool photo of cars we don't see here in the US.

#6 ·
the 2300 (type 144) and JK-2000-2150 (type 102)

Dear Tpass,

You are right, one is the heir of the other.

The 2300 has a engine similar than JK. The suspension geometry is similar too, but it was much improved and modernized in 2300. The fuel tank was take from 60 liters in JK to 100 liters in 2300, a reflex of the petroleum crisis of 1973 and worldwide fuel shortages. The front disc brakes were replaced by a modern 4-wheel disck brakes. The old style tyres were changed by a modern sized ones. Various other upgrades were made.

From 1974 to 1986 the 2300 was developed a lot, but drive a JK is a totally different experience than drive a 2300. Both models are genuine Italian designs and were built with the same quality of the brothers manufactured in Italy.

I hope one day you can test each and form you own opinion. I invite friends who pass by Brasilia to test the Alfa Romeo 2300.

Best Regards, Casé

#5 ·
TPass,

The 2300 series is a continuation of the Italian type 102 "2000" that was produced from 1957 through 1961, and replaced by the 2600. The type 102 was an evolution of the 1900 made from after WW2 through the late 50's.

When Alfa ceased making the 2000 in 1961 they sold the tooling to FNM in Brazil, who started making a duplicate of the 2000 Sedan (not really called a Berlina at that point). It was essentially identical to the 2000 made in Italy through 1961, using the "cast iron" 2000 cc engine.

FNM then began making changes, increasing the displacement to 2150 by using a longer stroke crank, and then 2300 by increasing the bore, which required changing the bored cylinders to wet-sleeves within the cast-iron crankcase. Externally, the 2150 and 2300 engines look much like the original 2000, with subtle casting changes. I was able to bolt-in a 2300 into my 1959 2000 Roadster making only a small change to the throwout bearing system to utilize the more modern diaphragm clutch used on the late model 2300's.

The chassis of the 2000 was largely continued into the 2150 and 2300 models, with gradual changes such as ball joints instead of king-pins, disk brakes instead of drum, dual master cylinder, power steering, etc. There is a fair amount of retro-fitability if one wanted to use the later parts on the early Italian 2000's, but that would probably be more trouble than it is worth, as getting parts shipped up from Brazil is expensive and logistically challenging. Not impossible, just difficult.

The last versions looked a lot like the contemporaneous Italian "Alfetta" sedan series, but there was not much under the skin that matched.

Given Brazil's internal economy and political climate, some of the Alfa/FNM cars were made to use alcohol fuel. Current cars in Brazil are largely equipped to use either gasoline or alcohol, which I guess is easier using fuel injection. Some of the early FNM engines faced very low octane fuel, so the compression ratio was decreased from the Italian spec. The later engines were back up to around 9 to 1, or slightly more, partly because Brazilian fuel had improved as well as the failed effort to export these cars to Europe.

I've looked at pics of high-spec 2300's that are very nicely equipped, with leather, power steering, AC, etc. I'd like to have one, but doubt I could get one up here without a great deal of expense and hassle.

#9 ·
Hello Case,

I was not inclined to revisit Brasilia as I fly north, but studying the daily weather patterns it appears as though a more direct route to the Caribbean might expose me to some nasty storms over unpopulated areas. Will you be in town around December 16 - 17 - 18? If the weather allows, I will be flying north from Uruguay starting on December 15, with an overnight stop at Foz do Iguassu, then to Brasilia. I have not yet seen an actual 2300 and would enjoy the opportunity, plus of course the chance to tell stories and lies about Alfa Romeos.

Cheers,
Don

#11 ·
Case I was wondering if the Dimension of the front door wing windows are the same as the Alfetta series one. I could use to replace the rubber but it is almost impossible to find. Don be sure to eat some wonderful food if you do have the oportunity to land in Brasillia. The Brasilians are just great so do make an effort to drop in.

Case

Muito obrigado meu amigo, Bom Dia pra Voce.

#12 ·
Quite to the consternation of my Argentine friends, the "Rodizios" in Brazil have provided the very best meat I have ever eaten. Plus, up north, and through most of Brazil, the range of fruits and vegetables is a wonder to experience.

#14 ·
Rodizios

I love Argentina, where I go at least two times a year. Our barbecue is a totally different experience. We can have a lunch in our best bbq house in Brazil (the most famous), that has a restaurant in Brasilia.

Best Regards, Casé

#16 · (Edited)
The type 144 was named only after FIAT control and production transfered to Betim-MG plant. FIAT also change all parts serial numbers.

FNM (state control) assembled the 2000 Berlina under license but if lots of parts imported direct from Alfa Romeo Italy. In 1967 Alfa Romeo Italy bought the FNM and turns Alfa Romeo do Brasil. The 2300 model was designed and developed in Italy to Brazilian market using some obsolete machinery of 102/106 from Portello plant.

There some pictures attached from tests at Balocco track in 1971.

Some last 2150 models already came with 2300 engine.

In beggining of 2300 model production, gearbox and Iron cast block came from Italy. Casted in Italy, machined and assembled in Brazil.

In 1976 the Federal Government in Brazil has fordidden import of parts. Untill that internal and external finishing, trim was all from Italy. From 105 and 116 sorelli.

Untill FIAT Age, the 2300 model was 10212 type.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.