Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 alfa spider restoration complete TYARBB

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gav 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I would like to thank everyone who contributes comments to the bb. I don’t even post questions anymore. Hit the search, and dam it, don’t you know it, bingo, answered my question. Awesome, just wish I could get my wrenches and wallet to work that fast!! I bought the 81 Alfa spider 13 years ago not knowing a whole lot about cars. Over the years I’ve become more involved. First started off w rims/ tires panasport/ Pirelli 400, than brake shoes, rotors, brake master cylinder, springs and shocks. I learned some basic maintence with fluids, and simple adjustments. I had to figure out some electrical gremlins. l blew some fuses caused by loose wires going in fuse box from a bad radio hook up. I had a bad pick up harness for Marrelli distributer. Replaced window switches. I removed the power mirrors because the switch kept shorted them out. I replace them with the small chrome mirrors, much better than those shoeboxes hanging off the doors IMO. The column switch lever broke and replaced that. I did some exhaust work, the manifold had cracked. I replaced them with headers and a new ansia muffler. Purchased a Robbins top and replaced it and the top molding and door moldings. Still can’t get it water tight. The fuel regulator failed (yes, it has Weber’s) replaced it. Replaced worn radiator hoses. I found a fiberglass bumper and replaced the very heavy ugly rotted original one. This brings us up to about 2004. I bought my house, and was house broke for three - four years. The poor car got little use and sat!! In spring of 2008 replaced clutch master, slave and hose. That summer blew the head gasket and was devastated!! This is when I went nuts, lost my mind, and jumped into the deep end! That fall I started dismantling the car for the paint shop. Black is the fastest! Also the hardest to cover up bodywork repair. No rust at all. Came out great! Straight! Just dings and some minor work up front. I sent the seats out for two tone custom leather, new door skins and custom rug. Pulled the motor had a complete rebuild with performance upgrades and new clutch, resurfaced the flywheel. The motor, 10:1 piston, 11.1 cams, oversized valves, upper and lower timing chain and gears. Polished crank, Zyglo head, magnaflux block. I replaced the distributor, coil, plugs and wires. Replaced original fuel pump 45 psi with a low pressure pump to clean that regulator mess up. Added an electric fan, new overflow bottle and thermostat. Carello headlamp covers and new pinstripe with clover badges on the vent windows!! That’ll keep me safe. I had to replace the Speedo cable. The clutch master failed from sitting and was contaminated so replaced that again. I have 90% of invoices to document these repairs. I have driven the car all summer and it was totally worth it!! It is really awesome. Nobody gets outta that car without smiling. I just had it appraised for insurance purposes. This however is not a cash value. I did store it for the winter today and was wondering if anyone may be interested in it for trade or purchase. It’s hard to imagine me without it, but there’s really not a lot left to do. I enjoyed working on it as much as driving it. We’ll maybe not; driving it is way more fun. This is started to sound like a dear Abby add. Any suggestions? I cant afford another project unless I get to sell this one. Thanks for reading enjoy the pictures!!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.