Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Driving the Targa Florio in my Gt Junior 1300

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  GrigioScalino 
#1 ·
This past weekend I had the great pleasure to finally drive the Targa Florio, something I have wanted to so for over 12 years since the first time i lived in Sicily back in 2000. I owned an 75 1.8 my first tour, but I just never made it out there. This time around, I was sure that I was going to buy a classic Alfa and finally drive the famous historic road course.

I accomplished my dream in my 1970 Gt Junior 1300 Scalino this passed weekend and I couldn't be happier with the way the car performed and the beauty of the Sicilian country side and to say that I drove the roads that some of the greatest legends have raced. The roads were just as I expected, skinny, blind turns, close jagged walls, untrimmed foliage and steep cliffs, but it was worth every minute.

I would have to say that out of everything during the trip, the most exciting was standing on the starting point and taking a picture of my Alfa in front of the press box and grand stands with the mural banner in the background.

The trip started on Saturday afternoon leaving from my house in Aci Reale, Catania and meeting up with my friends with which included another Alfa Romeo; 1974 Giulia Nuova Super, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am, a 1969 Fiat 850 Spider, a 1991 Mazda Miata on a 130km drive to meet other friends with a 1981 Chevy Corvette and a 1968 Dodge Charger. These American Vehicles are all owned by Italians, it was awesome. Joining our trip on Sunday morning for our drive was also a Ferrari 360 Spider, a Ferrari 208 GTS Turbo, a Fiat Barchetta and a Fiat Sport.

Here are some of the pictures of the drive. Hope you all enjoy.

Just before starting out in Sunday morning along side the Ferrari 360 Spider.

See less See more
#3 ·
Parked under an over pass on the longest straight of the course. we stopped to check an indicator light on the Ferrari.

Six of us ended up continuing on to the starting point near Cefalu. Here is an overhead shot. I am standing up the hill near the pit area over looking the press box.

Grand stands near press box

in front of the pit area on the south side

Staue of Vincenzo Florio who started this whole thing in 1906.

I will have more pictures after I receive them from my friends.

#5 ·
1969 Fiat 850 Spider

The only other American on the trip with me in his Mazda Miata

Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super ex Carabineri

1978 Pontiac Trans Am

1968 Dodge Charge 383 5 sp.

1981 Chevy Corvette

Ferrari 360 Spider

Fiat Barchetta

#14 ·
I am fortunate enough to have been stationed here for the past 3 years and have bought the Alfa this time around. If I ever get orders here again, I will definitely bring the Alfa back with me or maybe be lucky enough to find another one in such beautiful condition as mine.

What a great trip.. Way cool!
Thanks, it absolutely was. I am really thinking of doing it again before I leave. I would like to stop by the Targa Florio museum next time.

Nice trip. Nice Jr.
One thing I admire in European enthusiasts is that they can appreciate each others cars.
Not too many Ferrari, or Alfa, guys here would welcome a Fiat 850 or American Iron.
I agree, I know back in the states, other than the Carlisle shows, I can't remember ever being in a car show or a ride where I had my 1980 Firebird and there was a Ferrari included. I think maybe more so because we were all friends and friends of friends that everyone knew each other which made it a lot more enjoyable. The guy with the 360 Spider was very interested in my Alfa.
Believe it or not though, but my Italian friends with the American muscle cars got more looks and crowds during the trip than any of our Italian cars. Probably because they were something no one had ever seen before. I kept making the joke that the Italians owned American car and the American
owned an Italian car.

#13 ·
Nice trip. Nice Jr.
One thing I admire in European enthusiasts is that they can appreciate each others cars.
Not too many Ferrari, or Alfa, guys here would welcome a Fiat 850 or American Iron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.