Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Photo Essay - TZ Takes to the Road

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  spokeless 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend needed to take a shakedown run after some extensive ignition and carb/fuel-line/tank work.
I drove the chase car (164L) and took some pics. Hope you enjoy them. And yes, I know how lucky I am.

Ready to roll - in the foggy Sunset, in SF

Down Brotherhood Way..

Onto I-280

Man's favorite toy, with best friend

Heading back from sunny Burlingame

Never a bad angle

Back into city traffic

Home again

Safe in the garage - ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet

See less See more
#2 ·
Lucky in two ways right? Chasing anything using a 164 and it being an exotic Alfa, too.

It comes in twos!

#8 ·
Fresh out of college in 1992, I was offered a fast ride around Sears Point Intl. Raceway in this car by the generous owner who caught me salivating over his car in the paddock. He told me to meet him in the pit lane during lunch and he'd take me around a couple of times. I couldn't wait, and finally dropped myself down into this TZ. I forget what belts he had for passengers, but he told me to grab the seat cushion with my left hand, and the dashboard with my right, and off we went. Those were the two scariest and most-exhilarating track laps in my life! Even now I don't know how the car got through the corners as if on rails, or how it could accelerate like a rocket midway through the turns - but these are just the facts of life with this car. In the pit lane again, I said thanks and tumbled out of the car; I could barely stand.

Fast forward 20 years, and the memories remain fresh. I thank the owner for this experience every time I see him at the track or around other Alfa events. Have you given some youngster a ride in your Alfa lately? You should plan on it, as there is no better way to ensure that these wonderful cars of ours are appreciated and well taken care of by the next generation of Alfisti after we pass on.

Viva Alfa and true gentlemen racers.

#9 ·
Fresh out of college in 1992, I was offered a fast ride around Sears Point Intl. Raceway in this car by the generous owner who caught me salivating over his car in the paddock. He told me to meet him in the pit lane during lunch and he'd take me around a couple of times. I couldn't wait, and finally dropped myself down into this TZ. I forget what belts he had for passengers, but he told me to grab the seat cushion with my left hand, and the dashboard with my right, and off we went. Those were the two scariest and most-exhilarating track laps in my life! Even now I don't know how the car got through the corners as if on rails, or how it could accelerate like a rocket midway through the turns - but these are just the facts of life with this car. In the pit lane again, I said thanks and tumbled out of the car; I could barely stand.

Fast forward 20 years, and the memories remain fresh. I tIhank the owner for this experience every time I see him at the track or around other Alfa events. Have you given some youngster a ride in your Alfa lately? You should plan on it, as there is no better way to ensure that these wonderful cars of ours are appreciated and well taken care of by the next generation of Alfisti after we pass on.

Viva Alfa and true gentlemen racers.
Great post and a great suggestion for indoctrinating youngsters:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.