Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Some pix of 156 2.5 Salespeed

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Super1600 
#1 · (Edited)
Some pix of 156 2.5 auto

I had a chance to drive a 156 on my FL vacation and it was a treat.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah! the 2.5 24v engine is a great one. I've had it on a 2001 sportwagon, but with the manual gearbox.
how did you get the number plate? if it's easy, why not buy a 166 3.0 ? I have a friend who wants to sell one....... :D :D

#4 ·
Hi,

nice interior and a very rare Car in the US. By the way the gearbox is called Q-System not Selespeed. The Selespeed automated manuel gearbox was offered with the 2 litre twinspark. The Q-System is a normal automatic gearbox and was offered with the V6 156 and 166.

best regards

Conni

#9 ·
So this car is not a Salespeed does that mean this trans is not the one that has all the problems? Also does the Q-system trans have a manual shift function?

#5 · (Edited)
yep and also GTA Selespeed was available, the 166 gearbox is little bit different than in 156 and its called Sportronic. Nice car you have there its the same as my car except I have manual , its so called "boselift" 2002 version.

#7 ·
Car looks great Lenard but...

I'm drawn more to the styling of that house in the background!

What a beaut!

Now if the 156 was the later face-lifted model...then I might be more torn in my affections.

#12 ·
I'm drawn more to the styling of that house in the background!

What a beaut!

Now if the 156 was the later face-lifted model...then I might be more torn in my affections.
Ron,
The house is Grandmas and it is really nice about 7800 square foot five car garage ocean view really really big pool ETC!

#17 ·
Yes nice car, but they are common as out here in Aus and cheap to buy. I have a non update front '03 JTS sport wagon in manual. Has the Bose HiFi, which is great. Don't get me wrong I love the car, it suits me and is so practical. In fact apart from the V6 engine sound, you are better off with the JTS as it is more economical, and cheaper to service. Bad luck you guys over in the States missed out.

#18 ·
JTS has some "teething problems" quite often, like lambda connection problems. In my opinion the V6 2.5 is best version of all 156s, its fastest (ex, GTA), most reliable engine out there. The problem is that 4 speed automatic transmission kinda kills thats Busso engine, it slows the acceleration/performance heavily. And TS engine is more prone to belt failures, it has variator (cam timing system) problems etc. the the slightly better economy isnt that big advantage if you count all pros/cons (money) together .

#19 ·
It is kind of yes and no. Sure there are four Lambda sensors that over time need replacing, I have done two of them at the grand cost of $600 supplied and fitted, two to go. I have 120K on the clock. As I said the JTS is really economical ie. approx 7-8L/100km in the city and lower when touring. I am not sure the V6 can achieve that despite its better torque.

Agree the manual is the best choice out of any of the transmissions that were offered on the 156 model.

The belts need to be changed on time with all model 156s, not just the twinnie or even the JTS. The real difference is the cost between the 4cyl and 6cyl versions. For the JTS, you can do all the belts, water pump, variators etc for around $800 supplied and fitted. For the V6 you are from all information I have seen looking at more likely $2K (I could be incorrect re this figure, but that is what I have been told).

Having said that belts can fail on any car which uses a cam belt. The Fiat twin cam which originally came out in the mid 60s and was used right up into the late 1990s had a toothed belt which needs to be changed at 30,000m. No dramas there, the cost was low to do this job as unlike in modern cars, you didn't need to remove and replace so much other stuff simply to get at the cam belt. That actually is the reason for the higher labour costs with cars such as the 156.

If you shop around you can usually get a good deal on parts costs, EB Spares for one is a good choice, but there are other suppliers who also offer good prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.