Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Waiting patiently for the economy...

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jamal555 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully you will be able to get your car going in the near future. Contrary to what the conservative right believes, that the awful mess they crafted under Bush Jr could have been fixed el pronto, the resultant economy was almost as bad as 1929, and it will take much more time to fix than they dreamily think, regardless of who ends up in office, but it will be fixed given time. Don't give up.

#6 ·
Why Wait?

If you are going to wait for the economy to get better, or for your personal finances to improve it more than likely will never be done!

I can tell you that I am quite poor, disabled, "living" on a disability, which after monthly rent, monthly medical expenses, monthly living expenses doesn't leave me much money for my Spider, yet I work on it, throwing as little as $20 to maybe $100 at the most each month. Yes, it will take a long time to "restore", but I am slowly plugging away at it. If I can do it, you can do it too, just start!!!

Attachments

#10 ·
I would start by making a list of all that needs done. Then buy as many parts little by little and start with the stuff you can afford. Make a list on this thread and maybe some of us can donate parts. I have a ton of Alfetta GT parts along with a shell that will be going to the crusher. Come on! We'll help.

#11 ·
Wow, thanks.

The large amount of labor I need to put into it is because I have everything but the shell from my GTV 6 that's going to go into the Alfetta. Besides perishables like window seals or a v6 gasket and seal set and a clutch, the only thing I don't have is headlights and an Alfetta grille. I have the GTV 6 grille and am thinking of reworking some BMW E34 5 Series headlights (right size, different mounting) a buddy has from a car that he no longer owns.

That said, as I go along, I should have a bunch of Alfetta GT bits to part out.

BTW, here's the last shot of my '84 GTV 6:

death of an alfa gtv 6 by scottspaeth, on Flickr

The shell was too perforated to save. :(

#12 ·
homecoming...

Minor update:

A couple months ago my wife and I bought an as-is house with a garage. We brought it up to a livable standard (spending every dime we had and then some), and moved in a little over a week ago. Then, on Sunday, the big day for me came and we pulled my Alfetta out of long term storage and brought it home. This won't be an exciting and frequently updated build thread, but I'm so happy about this first step in the right direction since I put it in storage in 2010 that I had to share...

Even without a lot of cash, there's a lot I can do once the house loosens its demands on my time. And although my mother's garage wasn't the driest storage in the world, it doesn't look like the car has suffered during its seven years there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.