Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Two Dreams come True

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  alfavirusnz 
#1 ·
Hello.

After over 35 years of working...I attained two cars I always wanted. The DeTomaso Pantera made my heart jump when I first saw one way back in 1971. The Pantera is a muscle car with timeless Italian style that plants your butt hard in the seat while that big Cleveland V8 roars at the back of your neck.
My uncle Conrad had a 1959 Alfa Romeo Coupe, that rattled the hills of Covina Ca. "Here comes uncle Conrad" we would all say, and sure enough, that little red coupe soon appeared in all its glory.
I always wanted to buy that Alfa from him...but I was way too young, and by the time I was old enough, it was gone.
Over the years I have had some AWESOME cars...SIX...count them...SIX 1969 Camaros..including a real Z28, Indy Pace Car, SS, etc. Jaguar XKE, Buick GN, and on. If I had all these cars today.........I could retire. But over the years, raising a family, was more important...so the cars would be sold, and another project would begin.
I will be 60 years old at the end of 2011. Want some advice? Think young, and stay young. Theres something about being active, thinking and appreciating everyday...loving what you do, that keeps the heart young. Never take ONE day for granted, and give thanks to the Master Mechanic above, who keeps your motor going!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You`re a young looking 59 yr old. I`m not quite as old as you but I`ve had grey hair for many a year and am far from trim.
Very true sentiments expressed. I`m a big believer in the positive attitude to life -very few of us ever go through life without some mishaps along the way but there is always someone worse off. Life is for living not dwelling on what you haven`t got or what might have been. Still think the biggest asset you can have though is your health.
On the subject of the De Tomaso Panterra I sorted the mechanicals out in a restoration back when I had my motor business but despite being much slimmer than I am now I had a devil of a job getting in and out of the car (I`m 6`3 and was athletic build then) It put me off the car. Once in it went well but rough and unrefined compared to the more common Italians in my opinion but I guess there was a price difference.

#3 ·
Nice combo Desert Rat !! I am wicked old, like you, [though I don't look as young !!] , and I'm not wasting my turn !
I too had a passion for Pantera's, always wanted one, never had the chance. I have had the good fortune to drive a lot of great GTV6's over a half million miles, though.
Nonetheless, I am jealous !!

#5 ·
Hey Glennco -
When you say "nice GTV6" - do you mean one that is not supported by jack stands? ;)

Hope you had a good trip home, and that you are getting things sorted out.

#6 ·
Jeez Gordy, that was mean ! The Blue Meanie has over 500K miles, for crying out loud !! And it held off blowing up till the end of the race day !

Now, not to highjack this lucky guys thread;

So, DR, how does the Pantera corner? I'm sure it screams in the straights, but does it handle well in the twisties?

#7 ·
I think my Pantera handles great, and I have pushed it to the near limit in the corners a few times. I have some very sticky Nittos on the car, and I am very happy with them. It also has Koni shocks, and has been slightly lowered.
There are much faster and quicker cars out there nowadays, but as my dear old departed father use to say..."theres always somebody faster".

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.