Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Darwin Award - Modded Alfas

124K views 280 replies 100 participants last post by  Spider1972 
#1 ·
A guitar forum I belong to has an ongoing "Darwin Awards" thread devoted to examples of what were once nice vintage guitars modified in tasteless, inappropriate, or ham-fisted ways. I haven't found a corresponding thread on this forum. Maybe there should be one here for Alfas.

Here's a candidate that's on e-bay. I wonder what this Alfetta did to deserve this treatment. Other photos here:Alfa Romeo : Alfetta GT | eBay

I'm sure you guys must have some examples that can outdo this one.......

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There's always the 1958 Juliet Spider Velosh with its Chevy 350 engine and Toyota suspension. :confused:

In his eBay ad he wrote "if you are a Alfa guru don't waste my time e-mailing me telling me how I ruined an amazing vehicle." The listing ended with 3 bids - the highest being $1136 and no one selecting the Buy-it-Now of $2700.

I hope someone filled him in on what the car would be worth had he not hacked it to death!:mad:

#4 ·
Whilst I don't think it will be possible to beat ShadeTree's contribution.. :eek: (nothing wrong with sb chevs, but they do not belong in beautiful old Alfa Spiders. It will take a lot of work to undo all the damage done there..) There are a few threads in the engine conversion section that belong here, and this is the first one that comes to mind LINK

It can be bad enough that someone chops up transmission tunnels etc to fit an alternative engine, but I'm totally lost when they also decide they can "improve" the aesthetics of a timeless classic like the 105 coupe, exterior & interior.. :rolleyes::(

As an aside, I really don't see the point of transplanting a turbo 4 cylinder engine from another manufacturer into an old 105, given that the original Alfa twincam can make some serious power when boosted, more than enough to trash the standard driveline, and probably well beyond the sensible limits of the chassis itself. I acknowledge that a Nissan, or Toyota engine has more ultimate power potential, but I see it as somewhat redundant.

#7 ·
I noticed that one too. The most ridiculous part to me is those seats. Those meet the inappropriate criterion pretty well. The body work mods look like they were done well from a technical point of view so not a hack job. Whether they are tasteful or not is certainly debatable. I think I would have to actually see the car in the metal to decide for myself.

#45 ·
Hey, I'm famous!

While I can't take credit for the wing, I do now own said Berlina. And while I actually kind of liked the wing, it now hangs on my wall.

It still has the flames however.

#21 ·
There was a TI pick-up truck a while back that was VERY nicely done. Probably way too nice for this thread. It, like the Giulia HT looked almost real. I watched it on E-bay (twice!) and to me that indicates it was Ok.

#22 ·
The TI pickup was OK. That was well done and functional. But some of them on this thread challenge my status as a SNO director.

#23 ·
Even the pros get it wrong sometimes. The Castagna Vittoria was based on a 1987 Alfa Romeo 75. In 1994, Castagna reworked the chassis to SZ specs and the 3.0 V6 engine was rebuilt and tuned to the order of 254hp. It was shown at the 1995 Swiss International Motor Show. For some reason, it didn't catch on.:rolleyes:

#28 ·
Alfa Abominations

The grey Giulia Spider on page 1 merits a second look, the rear portion of the roof is from a Sprint, complete with Sprint rear glass, but the front half of the roof is from a Spider hard top............which basically means that while the rear of the roof is welded to the bodywork, the front half is clipped to the windscreen posts ?!?!

To add to this thread, here's an abomination that started off life as a 750 Sprint.......

Aye
Greig

SNO Director South African Branch - Africa is not for sissies

Attachments

#31 ·
The grey Giulia Spider on page 1 merits a second look, the rear portion of the roof is from a Sprint, complete with Sprint rear glass, but the front half of the roof is from a Spider hard top............which basically means that while the rear of the roof is welded to the bodywork, the front half is clipped to the windscreen posts ?!?!

To add to this thread, here's an abomination that started off life as a 750 Sprint.......

Aye
Greig

SNO Director South African Branch - Africa is not for sissies

If an Edsel is an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon -- as it was famously described -- this thing is a Frogeye Sprite watching an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.