Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#976 ·
Again From OVR the 1968 TA at Mid Ohio

Again more pictures From the OVR web site of the 1968 TA at Mid Ohio.

The Green RHD #31 is Winkler.

The Red #25 is Tom Blank on RHD GTA 752648 (ex Kweck/Andrey 1966) and not to be confused with the #25 GTA 752507 which Andrey started using on her in 1969.

Again there are a few more pictures of this race on the OVR site.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#988 · (Edited)
Again more pictures From the OVR web site of the 1968 TA at Mid Ohio.

The Green RHD #31 is Winkler.

The Red #25 is Tom Blank on RHD GTA 752648 (ex Kweck/Andrey 1966) and not to be confused with the #25 GTA 752507 which Andrey started using on her in 1969.

Again there are a few more pictures of this race on the OVR site.

Regards

Ken
Here's some 1968 TA Mid Ohio reports to go with the previously posted pictures above, post #976. BTW: look at Donohue fiddling with his cell phone!!

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#977 ·
1972 Riverside Trans Am

These pictures are from the Dave Friedman collection at the Benson Ford Museum, they have some rights reserved, which can be reviewed at

Collection: Dave Friedman collection, 1946-2009

This is the race that Charlie Theriot ended the career of RHD GTA 752609 as Friedman captured. Other pictures (maybe these) of this crash have been posted earlier on this thread.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#978 ·
More 1972 Riverside Trans Am

More 1972 Riverside Trans Am. Good shot of the AD front suspension and Dunlop brake caliper. Hard way to get it though.

Last Pic Everett on #25 GTA 752507

Ken

Attachments

#979 · (Edited)
More 1972 Riverside Trans Am

Still More 1972 Riverside Trans Am.

CP&A reported that at the end of the 2.5 Race they kept Morton Waiting for a trophy that was not to come, so they gave him someones old fishing hat, as captured by Dave Friedman.

And so the Golden Era of Trans Am ended.

Alas

Ken

Attachments

#982 ·
Alfa T/A cars at 2012 Concours d'Elegance of America

Here are a couple shots of the Under 2-Liter Trans-Am group at the 2012 Concours d'Elegance of America at the Inn at St. Johns. Ken Geiger's Bobcor GTA looked spectacular in person. (Kudos to Roman Tucker!) I was astonished that it was not named best in class.

Edd Mangino

Attachments

#983 ·
GTA 752501 in ALFA WINS ad 1968

Here is a picture of Vic Provenzano on the Shankle # 97 GTA 752501 in an ALFA WINS ad from CP&A Oct 5, 1968. Provenzano hung in for the Riverside U2 win as Porsche big guns Adamowicz and Everett broke.

752501 is the ex 1966 Lloyd Burghagen RHD GTA that was sold to John Shankle.

The 3rd place Alfa mentioned is #25 GTA 752648 under Del Taylor/Chuck Trowbridge (owned at the time by Tom Blank) which was the ex- Kweck/Andrey 1966 ride.

I think the CP&A race report is posted earlier but if not .........

Enjoy

Ken

Attachments

#984 ·
Two questions and subscribing:
The Red #25, Tom Blank RHD GTA 752648, are those Fred Puhn's Competition Engineering wheels?
Charlie's #33 crashed at RIR, was that Charlie's predecessor to his white car Anthony R now owns? Anything remain or was it scrapped?
Andrew

#985 · (Edited)
Answer to 1 question and more.

#33 was GTA 752609 and scrapped. Anthony may have some of the parts.

Anthony has 752557.

Charlie owned over the years 3 RHD GTAs, 752609, 752557 and 752533.

752533 is the ex-Allson Brizzard 1966 TA GTA and famously (in my mind anyway) Bonneville Land Speed record holder in class for a few hours one afternoon in 1970. See Hot Rod magazine Nov 1970 which I will post in due course.

ken

#986 ·
GTA 752533 At Bonneville 1970

Here is the Nov 1970 Hot Rod Magazine Article that mentions RJ Kaleta, a known ex Owner of Trans Am GTA 752533.

Foster Turner, who owned this GTA (1985 to ??) before Charlie Theriot, also mentioned this article to me in a 1986 letter and sent me a photo copy of the article along with copies of the 752533 AD Prova Sheets.

I saw 752533 in Roman Tucker's shop in the mid 1990's just after he had got it from Charlie Theriot and it was still carrying a Bonneville Dash Plaque.

In the second picture you can see the GTA at Bonneville (start/staging line?)

In picture 5 Kaleta and his Alfa are mentioned in the text.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#987 ·
The important parts enlarged. See GTA to left.

Ken

Attachments

#989 ·
Watkins Glen Starting grid from CP&A TA Report. Only one GTA shown, 752503 Ingleheart/Guthrie with a qualifying time but it did not start. I have the rest of the report (no Alfas mentioned) if someone wants it.

Ken

Attachments

#990 ·
1970 Mid-Ohio Trans Am U2L race

Here are some photos that may be of interest. From 35mm slides damaged in a house fire in 1985, recently rediscovered and "digitized".
Taken at the Mid-Ohio round of the 1970 Trans Am Championship, U2L race.
Bert Everett, #25 Alfa Romeo GTA
Harry T., #4 Alfa Romeo GTA
Lee Midgley, #93 Alfa Romeo GTA with most of the field of the race on the pace lap.
Cheers & Blessings,
John W.
Knoxville, TN

I incorrectly posted in another thread.http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/images/smilies/oops.gif.pagespeed.ce.-4EYIQmAVj.gif

Attachments

#991 ·
Here are some photos that may be of interest. From 35mm slides damaged in a house fire in 1985, recently rediscovered and "digitized".
Taken at the Mid-Ohio round of the 1970 Trans Am Championship, U2L race.
Bert Everett, #25 Alfa Romeo GTA
Harry T., #4 Alfa Romeo GTA
Lee Midgley, #93 Alfa Romeo GTA with most of the field of the race on the pace lap.
Cheers & Blessings,
John W.
Knoxville, TN

I incorrectly posted in another thread.http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/images/smilies/oops.gif.pagespeed.ce.-4EYIQmAVj.gif
Hi John, thanks for posting these pictures especially that one of #25, GTA 752507 with checkered flag. If possible can you send me a hi resolution scan of that one for my file on my GTA. My email is kendgb at aol dott com

Thanks

ken

#993 ·
1966 Bryar Trans Am Report bfrom CP&A 07301966

Just found this which I think has not previously been uploaded.

Enjoy

Ken

Attachments

#994 ·
SCCA Announces Trans Am Series in CP&A 02121966

SCCA Announces Trans Am Series in CP&A 02121966

Attachments

#995 · (Edited)
ALFA WINS SEBRING 1966 Poster CP&A 05071966

ALFA WINS SEBRING 1966 Poster CP&A 05071966.

Note what appears to an absence of roof damage and a driver profile that is not distinctively that of Rindt so this picture may be from practice before the crash. Businello??

Attachments

#996 ·
Looking for info on historic Transam racer

Dear Alfa Friends,

After completing a ground-up Montreal restoration a 1600 GT Sprint Veloce is next. I bought the car in 2006 in Massachusetts and stored it till now. The seller could not provide much history. It has GTA parts on it and has stickers from the typical TransAm tracks of the late 60' and early 70' as well as a race refueling nozzle. If someone can help with some history to this particular car that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Markus
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alfa romeo 105 series coupes Regularity rally

Vehicle Car Glass Automotive window part Windshield

#997 ·
Hello Markus, welcome to the Alfa BB.

I don't think you have Ex Trans Racer there.

First of all, I can't think of any steel body step nose Trans Am cars that are un-accounted for. Off the the top of my head there was only 1, a GTj that was a west coast car and is alive and well there today.

From the 2 pictures and unspecified race parts (can you post more pics if of race parts) this looks to me, on the surface, to be an enthusiast's GT with some sporty mods, as opposed to race mods, in which he attended a post classic Trans Am era (1966 to 1972) Trans Am race at Lime Rock in 1974 and some sports car event at Road Atlanta and purchased or picked up a Trans Am sticker some where.

I see a street car interior and no roll cage.

If you do find evidence of a removed roll cage, a fuel cell, chopped away metal, previous owners race log books or testamonials you may have evidence of a club racer returned to street trim.

and as always

FWIW

Ken

#998 ·
Hi Markus,

I have to agree with Ken. However, it does have the wide flairs and what appear to be real Minilites. Racing organizations did not allow the "Monza" quick fill caps in the 70's. It should make a nice "GTAm" clone, if that's what you want, or could probably be easily converted to a vintage racer with the addition of a good roll cage and all the necessary safety items. There is probably quite a bit of bondo where the flares have been riveted to the body. Most race cars would have just had the flairs riveted and not molded. In any case it should be a great project.

Have a Happy New Year with your new car.

Stu

#999 ·
Hi Ken and Stu,

Thanks for your comments. You may be right that this car was never raced in TransAm. The seller mentioned it was raced but he could not provide any history as it was not him who raced the car. However, given the stickers of the TransAm courses I felt I should reach out to some like you who may be able to shed some light to this.

The car did not have a roll cage nor a fuel cell in it. It has additional toggle switches which may have been from additional fuel pumps but the pumps would have been removed. I added another picture from the front with a Alfa Owners emblem. As I have the car currently in storage and I cannot post pictures from underneath.

So, either it was just an enthusiast car never raced or it was raced in local events which did not require a roll cage and fuel cell. Other stickers point to clubs on the Northeast Coast.

Anyway, thanks for your comments! I will most likely restore it in such a way to either use it for historic non-race events or for historic race events in Europe (as I am living back in Europe).

Best regards, Markus

#1,000 ·
Hi Ken and Stu,

Thanks for your comments. You may be right that this car was never raced in TransAm. The seller mentioned it was raced but he could not provide any history as it was not him who raced the car. However, given the stickers of the TransAm courses I felt I should reach out to some like you who may be able to shed some light to this.

The car did not have a roll cage nor a fuel cell in it. It has additional toggle switches which may have been from additional fuel pumps but the pumps would have been removed. I added another picture from the front with a Alfa Owners emblem. As I have the car currently in storage and I cannot post pictures from underneath.

So, either it was just an enthusiast car never raced or it was raced in local events which did not require a roll cage and fuel cell. Other stickers point to clubs on the Northeast Coast.

Anyway, thanks for your comments! I will most likely restore it in such a way to either use it for historic non-race events or for historic race events in Europe (as I am living back in Europe).

Best regards, Markus
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alfa romeo 105 series coupes Regularity rally

#1,002 ·
Dear Keiith

I bought the car in 2006 from a Gary M. Cove who had a small work shop where he seemed to work on a number of vintage cars. The shop was Werke Classic Coach in Charlton City, MA. Not a high standard shop from what I could tell (lots of vintage stored outside) but given I bought it unrestored, I did not care. I don't think he owned it for long.

Please let me know if you have some knowledge about the car.

Best regards, Markus

#1,005 ·
Midgley GTA

It looks like the Midgley GTA was recently restored and the livery was changed.

Attachments

#1,004 ·
Source of GTA Alfa Champion Poster

Does anyone remember the origin of this 1967 (66?) poster featuring #42 GTA 752507. I cannot remember where I got it.

Could be from Comp Press and Autoweek or an AR Advert???

the Jpg is called RTA66-002 which I cannot decipher, if it is a clue to origin.

Looks like it was scanned in 2012 04 09 with a Canon Scan 9950F.

Help appreciated.

Regards

Ken

Attachments