Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#947 · (Edited)
1966 Mid America Trans Am Entry List

Following my request on The Marboro Raceway Group, Craig Wheeldon sent this 1966 Mid America TA entry list that I have been seeking for some time.

Some entries do not show up in the result and some in the result not shown on this entry list. The team Bill Rutan/Jim Hayes #52 GTA was DNA or DNS and formerly not known to me. Anyone know more.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#948 ·
1966 MArboro TA Entry List

Following my request on The Marboro Raceway Group, Craig Wheeldon sent this 1966 Marlboro TA Entry List that I have been seeking for some time.

Again some variation versus the results. The unknown GTA team of Kolb/Fulp/Belcher issued #27 must have been DNA as the Winkler/Van der VAte GTA used #27 accoding to photo record.

It appears that numbers were allocated by class with BS having 20 -39. This explains why GTA 752507 used #32 at Marboro only, where there was no number conflict, and used #42 the balance of the 1966 season.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#950 ·
Trans Am classes at Councours D'Elegance of America

The Concours D'Elegance of America at the Inn at St. Johns, Troy Michigan will feature a Trans-Am under 2 liters class and a Trans-Am over 2 liters class among the many classes, on Sunday July 29, 2012. Link below

Home

I understand that 3 Trans Am Alfas are among the Trans-Am under 2 liters field.

They are: the 1970 #3 Orange Kwech GTA, the 1971 #3 Orange and Blue Kwech GTV and the 1972 #25 Yellow Everett GTA.

Hope to see you there.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#952 · (Edited)
The #7 Porsche in the background looks like the 1968 TransAm winner driven my a friend, Tony Adamowicz. Tony Adamowicz, Trans-Am Champ Porsche 911
Tony also filled in driving Alfas, among lots of other cars back in the day.
Tony Adamowicz, 1969 Trans-Am, Alfa GTA
I now return you to the original thread.
Hi,

I guess that is Tony A2Z's #7 and you can almost make out his name in that picture. (Edit: I have been told that the #7 Porsche is a tribute to #7 and the real one is unknown)

Unfortunately the ALFA GTV pictured in the second link is not a GTA and it is not from 1969. I guess it is my second Pictured, #3 GTV from 1971, in my post above. I have let Tony's web site know about this error a few years back but it lives on.

From Memory Tony did have 1 GTA ride for the Wetson/Kwech team in
in 1970 as #2 at Riverside U4, in the renumbered #3 GTA, the first #3 GTA pictured above in my post.

Maybe that #7 Porsche will be in attendance at the concours.

FWIW

Ken

#954 ·
Hey Wil, do you have an entry list you could post or e-mail to me? From the schedule looks like the 2.5 Trans Am Challenge Race goes Saturday.

Ciao

Ken

#955 · (Edited)
Entry List

Ken, this is the current Alfa list, complete entry attached as .pdf
Will we see you there? I haven't seen a more detailed schedule than the one below.
Wil

Corrigan, Kevin 73 Alfa Romeo GTV White
Nichols, Raymond 71 Alfa Romeo GTV Red
Nichols, Hal 71 Alfa Romeo GTV Red
Beer, Rod 69 Alfa Romeo GTV Red
Safely, Charles 72 Alfa Spider Black
Painter, Wil 66 Alfa Romeo GTV Yellow
Stahly, Terry 72 GTV 2000 Red
Coppola, Seb 88 Alfa Romeo F3 Ralt Red

Friday, July 27th

Practice day 11:00am–5:00pm, Free general admission
SCAMP Concours in the Park, Depot Park, 6:00pm–9:00pm, FREE

Saturday, July 28th

Gates open at 9:00am
Racing action on track 10:00am–5:30pm
Trans Am 2.5 Challenge Race
Corvette Challenge Race

Sunday, July 29th

Gates open at 9:00am
Racing action on track 10:00am–5:30pm
VSCDA Vintage Vee points series feature race
Corvette Challenge Race

Attachments

#956 · (Edited)
1966 Marlboro Trans Am

I know we’re supposed to stay focused on Alfa’s here, but the entry list for the Marlboro Trans Am brings back another great memory for me. In the 1300cc class, car #58 is a Renault Gordini from Knoxville, Tennessee sponsored by Clayton Motors. While living in Knoxville in the early 70’s I heard about that car being for sale and went to look at it. (This would have been about the time I had the Autodelta Ti Super) The Clayton family had had a car dealership back then (don’t remember which franchises, but I do believe they had Peugeot and Renault, which makes sense here) and was a huge mobile home dealer as well. I tracked down the car at another, smaller mobile home lot, owned and operated by one of the two drivers that are on the Marlboro Trans Am entry list for the car. I don’t remember now which guy it was, but I do remember him saying that he had worked for Clayton and had started his own mobile home business (BTW, mobile homes were BIG in East Tennessee back then. Cheap housing, and the mountainous terrain prevented the formation of tornadoes, which are a mobile home owner’s biggest fear.)

Anyway, he said he had raced it in some SCCA club races and at least one Trans Am race, so it was obviously the Marlboro event. It was a neat car. Either factory prepared, or prepared at Clayton Motors and equipped by them with all of the factory race parts, I don’t recall which now. The engine was out of the car with a fresh rebuild and dyno tune/break-in by Ed Zink. I have mentioned in another post how Zink actually started out in Knoxville operating an import race/tune-up shop. The guy said it dyoned at 125 HP. I showed my surprise at the idea of that little car competing in a Trans Am race, but he said that, while it obviously couldn’t keep up with bigger engine cars, it was very competitive in its class. He said he had a ball running with his fellow small bore competitors.

Two things stick out in my mind about the car: the tach needle had come loose and was lying in the bottom of the huge factory (Veglia?) tachometer…and there was a rust hole at the base of the C pillar on the driver's side that I could stick my fist thru. The tach needle was an odd failure to me but no biggy; however, that huge rust hole scared me off. He only wanted $600 and I know it would have been a blast to sling around the twisty East Tennessee back roads. But I was afraid its life was approaching an end due to the tin worm.

Ted
OldAlfaGuy

#958 ·
Hello Mike, yes it is- GTA 752507; yellow #25

Ken

#959 ·
Wow! Congratulations on bringing a fantastic historic car back to it's former glory. Do you have a restoration or picture thread? If not, may I suggest one? I think we would all like to see more of your car. I had no idea you were so close to being done!
Again, congratulations!
Mike

#960 ·
1969 Bryar Race Rpt from CP&A Aug 9, 1969

I have been to the racing Archive in Watkins Glen again and have some new scans to post.

Here is the 1969 Bryar Race Report from Comp Press, Aug 9, 1969 and a picture of Race winning GTA 752507 under Andrey, between 2 Porsches one of which (#14) is driven by Bert Everett future driver of 752507.

I did not notice that I had not copied all of the Qualifying article (rpt p4) so do not know if they touched on the U2 Qualifying. I believe there is a grid chart posted else where in this thread.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#961 ·
1969 Bryar TA Grid Chart

Here is the 1969 Bryar TA Grid Chart

Attachments

#963 · (Edited)
1969 St Jovite (Mt Tremblant) TA Rpt from CP&A

Here is the 1969 St Jovite (Mt Tremblant) TA Rpt from CP&A 230869. Ed Wachs was involved in the lap 12 pile up and the GTA is reported as wrecked. Gaston Andrey had GTA #25 (photo) there but he told me as a late entry the grid was full. It is reported else where that #25 was DSQ. Any one know more about either GTA at this race.

Note; there is typo in the text on p3 where Wachs is reported a qualifying time of 2:07 but it should be 2:00.7 as seen on the grid chart.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#965 · (Edited)
1969 Laguna Seca TA Rpt from CP&A 130969

Here is the 1969 Laguna Seca TA Rpt from CP&A 130969.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#966 ·
1969 Kent TA Rpt from CP&A 270969

Here is the 1969 Kent TA Rpt from CP&A 270969

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#968 ·
1969 Riverside TA from CP&A Oct 25, 1969

I have these in a different format so they may have been posted in this thread already.

Only one GTA entered , #97 Vic Provenzano.

Note the notice of Porsche re-classifierd out of the U-2 TA while Alfa GTA remains for 1970.

Attachments

#969 ·
1971 Road America TA Rpt from CP&A Aug 7, 1971

1971 Road America TA Rpt from CP&A Aug 7, 1971

Attachments

#970 ·
1972 Watkins Glen TA Rpt from CP&A 080772

1972 Watkins Glen TA Rpt from CP&A 080772

Attachments

#971 ·
1972 Riverside TA Rpt from CP&A 181172

1972 Riverside TA Rpt from CP&A 181172.

A SAD OR MAYBE SORRY END OF AN ERA: 1966 SEBRING TRANS AM TO 1972 RIVERSIDE TRANS AM

Attachments

#972 ·
Alfa Trans Am Driver Gaston Andrey has passed away

GASTON ALPHONSE ANDREY

ANDREY, Gaston Alphonse 86, of Millis, passed away October 27, 2012. Born in Switzerland, he was the son of the late Lydia and Roger Andrey. He was the husband of Mary Anne (Rogers) Andrey of Millis. He is survived by his children, Roger M. Andrey of Millis, Jacqueline G. Andrey of Charlestown; a grandchild, Lily S. Andrey of Hingham; and a sister, Jacqueline Rey and her husband Kurt of Switzerland. Gus was a wonderful husband to Mary Anne for 54 years, a supportive and loving father to Roger and Jacqueline, and a doting grandfather to Lily. Gus was a pioneer in the sports car scene with Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Saab, and British and Japanese cars, which lead to four automobile dealerships in the Boston area. A seven-time National Champion in the "Golden Era" of sports car racing, these championships were won in some of Alfa Romeo, Corvette, Ferrari and Maserati's finest racing machines. Gus was a factory driver for Alfa Romeo's "Autodelta", the 1957 Corvette team at Sebring and Ferrari's "NART", the North American extension of the factory team. He competed in international events such as the Nassau "Speed Week" and the 1958 "Cuban Grand Prix" and was a member of the "RRDC" Road Racers Drivers Club. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Find A Page - Together4Cures - JimmyFund.org. Arrangements are under the care of the Chesmore Funeral Home of Holliston. Chesmore Funeral Home - A licensed funeral home with locations in Hopkinton and Holliston Massachusetts

Published in The Boston Globe from November 3 to November 4, 2012

Attachments

#973 ·
Gaston Andrey's Trans Am Rides

I had been in contact with Gus a few times regarding GTA 752507 and found him pleasant and helpful. If one looks at his Trans Am record it is there with the best of them.

From Memory

Gus Andrey was on the following GTA' s in the the Trans Am

1966 GTA 752648 with Kweck #40 & #6
1967 GTA 613008 with Taylor #90
1969 and 1970 GTA 752507 #25 and #52
1971 the ex Harry T GTAj? #26

May he rest in peace

Regards

Ken

#974 ·
Mid Ohio Trans Am 1971

Erik Z of this BB, lead me to this site and I received permission from SCCA OVR to post some of the hundreds of pictures that are posted on their site.

OVR Gallery

I had read of this crash between #25 Everett and #93 Midley in CP&A and now here are some pictures.

As far as I have been able to determine the #25 GTA 752507 was not used in 1971 after this crash. Everett, who apparently also owned the LHD GTA #26 that Andrey had been driving used it for a further couple of races in 1971 before getting a ride in the #2 Wetson GTV at the seasons end.

#25 was repaired and looking fresh in BOBCOR Yellow for the first TA race of 1972 at Lime Rock.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#975 ·
More 1971 TA at Mid Ohio

Also from the SCCA OVR Gallery OVR Gallery

There are more 1971 TA pictures there but just more of #25 and #3.

Ken

Attachments