Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#823 ·
Edmonton TA 1971

I just improved the report on Edmonton 1971, Post #773 this thread, with another picture from CP&A

Ken

#824 · (Edited)
1966 Bryar TA Report from SCCA Sports Car

Here is a scan of a Approx 20 year old photo copy of the 1966 Bryar TA Report from SCCA Sports Car. I apologize for the quality. One can barely see Kwech on #6 in the photo. I could read the scan if I enlarged it.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#825 · (Edited)
1966 Sebring Report from Foreign Car Guide

Here's a different take on the 66 Sebring event. What? Only 1 picture of an Alfa GTA and its not of Rindt. From another old zerox in my file but I have the magazine somewhere for a better scan of the photo if need be.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#826 ·
Interesting to see Allan Moffats early career ventures. Here in Australia he became one of the iconic racers of the period, notably with his factory backed Karkraft '69 trans am Boss Mustang which went on to become the most singularly successful car in racing history over here. GTAm 1531068 competed head to head with it, usually finishing one or two positions behind, although did score 1 single outright win over the Mustang......

#828 · (Edited)
The #1 car penciled in here on the entry list is Ed Wachs on #1 RHD GTA. He used #1 in other races in 1970 and the CP&A report, attached here in PDF, agrees with these penciled notes.

Clay also posted elsewhere this pic of Bert Everett at Donnybrooke on #25 GTA 752507. And his source had 2 other Alfas pics posted from Donnybrooke 1970 TA. Second pic, tech instection in tent Alfa tail can be seen. 3rd puc Kwech coming to checkered flag.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#829 · (Edited)
TA VIR photos from 1966

Here are some new VIR photos (i.e. not posted before) taken by Pete Luongo in 1966 part of a package I bought from Pete. Pete can be reached at Autofoto@aol.com and has many more photos from later years. The BMW belonged to Herb Swan (Chuck Dietrich co-driver) per Pete. The second photo was taken in Victory Lane showing a young Horst Kwech and Gaston Andrey. I just noticed that the left fender looks like it had some different paint probably after some on track incident.

Attachments

#830 · (Edited)
Race Report for1971 Laguna Seca TA

Here's another report of that ill fated race, for Alfa, at the end of the 1971 Trans Am season at Laguna Seca. Report is from the Feb 1972 Issue of the ALFA ROMEO OWNER'S CLUB MAGAZINE (UK).

Attachments

#831 · (Edited)
New Magazine Article on U-2 Trans-Am

Hi, guys . . .

Some of you will recall that I photographed the U-2 cars extensively at Laguna Seca, last August, in preparation for an article I'd been asked to write for Classic Motorsports. I've been informed by the magazine's editorial director that my 8-page article is scheduled to run in the May, 2011, issue. Naturally, there's a lot of Alfa Romeo content.

The opening spread features a two-page image of the entire U-2 race group posed in the hot pits at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca — with three ex-Horst Kwech Alfas in the front row. There are a couple great Pete Lyons B&W photos of Bill Ockerlund's ex-Horst Kwech GTV (shot in 1971) in addition to color images I shot at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. You'll find a nice shot of Bob Lee's ex-Horst Kwech GTA coming out of Turn 11, a sidebar featuring Bob's and Dr. Martinez's championship-winning GTAs, and a 1/2-page sidebar featuring Roman Tucker's ex-Lee Midgley GTA. There were a couple other Alfa photos that were cut due to space limitations. : (

If you don't already subscribe to Classic Motorsports, I encourage you to pick up the May issue (due out in early-to-mid-April) at your local bookstore. I don't think you'll be disappointed. : )

--Edd

Attachments

#833 ·
Hi Anthony, I think I can see a Wetson GTV, #25 Everett, Ed Wachs, #93 Midgley and a VW Super Beetle and another Alfa in front of the Beetle.

I have a better scan of this pic and it is from a BOBCOR Catalogue.

All these ID'd including the Beetle were only present at a few races, Road America, Sanair and Laguna Seca for 1972. (unless I missed a race in my quick glance through the SCCA Results).

Some of you know the tracks better than I, but I wonder if it is Sanair??

FWIW

Ken

Ken

#837 ·
Trans Am!?!?!?!

You bet those are Trans Am!!! The green car is Kwech at the 68 Sebring TA event. The Tri-colors are Kwech and Winkler and pale yellow is Baker at the 67 Sebring. These are great new photos!!!!!!!! Do you have any others from this time period?
Keith and everyone else on the thread!!!!!!!

#838 ·
You bet those are Trans Am!!! The green car is Kwech at the 68 Sebring TA event. The Tri-colors are Kwech and Winkler and pale yellow is Baker at the 67 Sebring. These are great new photos!!!!!!!! Do you have any others from this time period?
Keith and everyone else on the thread!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info, and the interest.

I do have some more photos. They range from '64 to '71 mostly Sebring, I think a few from Daytona or Taladega. They are from a stash of slides that I bought through someone who bought them and a bunch of manuals and paperwork from someone else, who reportedly bought it all out of an old storage unit...

The Photos I believe were taken by Don Black when he was Technical Director of Alfa in NewJersey. I guess as part of his job he got to travel to the races when Alfa and the Autodelta guys came to the big US endurance races.

I have just under 100 color slides. Many of the photos concentrate on the TZ-1s and later the Tipo 33s. I am happy to share these images and very much appreciate the information / input from all the knowledgeable Alfisti on this BB.

I am working out a way to offer very high quality prints of these images for sale. For the time being I will post the raw scans (with all the dust and color issues uncorrected). Please pardon the fact that I will want to make a couple of bucks eventually to recoup my costs... Feel free to PM me for more info.

I am an Alfa enthusiast from way back (my first '74 Spider I bought in 1982 while I was college student at BU). I was thrilled to be able to acquire these images and bring them back into the light. Enough about me... I will get back to posting pics.

#842 ·
Hi, Thanks for the great pics.

Famous driver is Horst Kwech.

#25 was driven by Gaston Andrey to 1st place at the 1969 Talledega, IMSA. See his crest on left rear panel. I can't find a picture of the crest but Bob Lee may have a Pic.

Attached is an article and results in PDF for Talladega.

Anyone know the whereabouts of the #25.

Attachments

#844 ·
What appears to be the sister car to MI901667, that is MI901666 - maybe it's the other car in the picture - has an identical rear valence modification for the exhaust. It was in Italy owned by a member of the Blue Team as late as 2006 and was featured in Ruoteclassiche in December 2006.

Who were the drivers of the TI Supers at Sebring and where are the cars now? Thanks for forwarding that e-mail to me Ken! Fred.

#850 ·
If it's R. Feezel then it's the Winkler/VanderVate TI Super that Roman now owns.
If its the same one, here's how the Winkler/Van der Vate TIS AR*595433* looked last Sept 2010 at the Glen. Lower vents are rectangular here.

Ken

Attachments

#847 ·
I've got a couple more images from that batch that may show Gus as well as his mechanic Oscar Feldman. Gus Andrey was involved in a number of dealerships (Saab, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari) in Massachussetts. I worked at one of these dealerships in the 1980's. I have sent off the pics to a friend to help ID some of these folks, but I will just go ahead and share them with you now.

These could just be random mechanics from Autodelta ?

Attachments

#852 ·
Giulia Super in the TRans Am

Just to give this Giulia Super/TI/TIS theme some relevance to the Trans Am Thread while continuing the theme, attached is a picture of a picture showing the only Super I can think of, racing in the Trans Am. Its been posted before elsewhere. Race event I would have to dig for, but I seem to remember a west coast, maybe north west coast event.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments