Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#790 · (Edited)
1972 Race Report Bryar TA from CP&A

1972 Race Report Bryar TA from CP&A June 17, 1972.

The picture of #25 and #26 is the only one I know to date of these 2 GTAs together in this BOBCOR livery.

Rogers crashed the #26 GTA in this race and Bob Cozza told me that it was parted out after the race.

Second picture shows them together in 1971 Livery when #26 was with Gaston Andrey at Mid Ohio.

Third Picture (see next post) shows them together in 1970 Livery at Mont Tremblant when #4 (#26 in 71 &72) was with Harry Theodoracoupolis in Orange Wetson Livery and #25 was red and white.

#25 was under Bert Everett in all three pictures.

Ciao

and Happy New Year

Ken

Attachments

#795 ·
1972 Race Report Mid Ohio TA from CP&A

1972 Race Report Mid Ohio TA from CP&A June24, 1972

Attachments

#796 ·
Chuck Cunningham collection

Hello All,

These are a few pictures from the Chuck Cunningham collection circa 1965 to 1967. For those of you unfamiliar with Chuck, he was the owner of Bates Cunningham Volvo and an avid race enthusiast. During the 1960's sedan races he drove primarily Volvo 122s'.

Enjoy.

Marlboro 1965 and 1966 Trans-Am (top right image)

Marlboro 1966 Trans-Am

Lime Rock Trans-Am race May 30th, 1967. This image was from the practice or qualifying session. According to Aero Z-28 on the
Trans-Am memories forum Chuck Cunningham is listed as DNS.

Trans Am racing and 2.5 Challenge memories - The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board

#2 Marvin Davidson and Jim Haynes, Alfa GTA
#34 John Kelly and Bob Bailey, Porsche 911
#37 Peter Sachs and Lyle Davis, Lotus Cortina
#41 Alan Moffatt, Lotus Cortina
#55 Bill Bowman and John Pauly, Porsche 911
#90 Gaston Andrey and Bill Taylor, Alfa GTA
#95 John Igleheart and Roger Barr, Alfa GTA

#797 · (Edited)
Hello All,

These are a few pictures from the Chuck Cunningham collection circa 1965 to 1967. For those of you unfamiliar with Chuck, he was the owner of Bates Cunningham Volvo and an avid race enthusiast. During the 1960's sedan races he drove primarily Volvo 122s'.

Enjoy.

Hi CD, Thanks for posting these.

If you have the originals is it possible to get the race # off the the Alfa in the last picture of the 1966 race. Pic has red Volvo 122 leading red Alfa GTA trailing. Also any Alfa numbers from the race start/ lineup.

It also looks like the rear of the white #82 Harry T GTA to the left of the #55 Porsche, in the one 67 Lime Rock pic. I attach the entry list for this event. Winkler crashed #62 Tri Colour in practice and Dorman and Ingleheart were DNS according to the SCCA result.

Thanks

Ken

Attachments

#798 · (Edited)
1972 Mid Ohio TA Report from SCCA Sports Car

1972 Mid Ohio TA Report from SCCA Sports Car. The articles second page gave the result of the A Sedans only and a picture of the Volkswagen.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#799 ·
1972 Road Atlanta Trans Am Report from CP&A

1972 Road Atlanta Trans Am Report from CP&A. Note Everett's #25 with helmet on roof, sitting behind the burning BMW in pit lane.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#800 · (Edited)
More: 1972 Road Atlanta Trans Am Report from CP&A

Here are better versions of the Grid and the Result and the BOBCOR Ad that was published with the article. #6 Ed Wachs, gridded 6th was a DNS due to engine failure.

I think the forward crew member, hanging off #25 in the BOBCOR ad, is Richard Stephens and the rearward crew is _________ ??. (Oskar Feldman , Paul Glyn??) Anyone recognize these winners.

Ad picture must be from Sanair, the race just previous to Road Altanta.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#801 ·
The Two-Five Challenge 1972 from Sports Car

The Two-Five Challenge 1972 from the SCCA Sports Car by Pete Brock. One man's insight into that year's formula.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#802 ·
The Great Challenge that never was

The Great Challenge that never was except on the pages of CP&A Oct 28, 1972. Plus an editorial comment from the same issue.

Ken

Attachments

#806 ·
Thanks and Thanks, All's well now,

Ken

#807 · (Edited)
1971 Laguna Seca TA Pictures from CP&A

Here are some pictures of the CP&A report of the 1971 Laguna Seca TA. I am missing page 1 of the article so will only post pictures.

If anyone has this issue I would appreciate a scan of what is reported on page 1.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#808 ·
More: 1971 Laguna Seca TA Pictures from CP&A

More: 1971 Laguna Seca TA Pictures from CP&A

Attachments

#809 · (Edited)
and More: 1971 Laguna Seca TA Pictures from CP&A

and More: 1971 Laguna Seca TA Pictures from CP&A. Note that the CP&A result shows Bert Everett on Wetson Alfa Romeo GTV (#2), DNF after 4 laps with suspension failure. Bert Everett was ommitted from the SCCA result for some reason even though he pictured and reported running that race.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#811 ·
And the steering wheels on correct side also, Wow.

Ken

#812 · (Edited)
1971 Olathe TA Report from CP&A

1971 Olathe TA Report from CP&A Aug 14, 1971

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#813 · (Edited)
More:1971 Olathe TA Report from CP&A

More:1971 Olathe TA Report from CP&A

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#814 ·
Here is a link to John Wilson's gallery. He was a photographer here in Southern California in the 60's and 70's. In this gallery you will find many Trans Am pictures from both Riverside and Laguna Seca as well as pictures from other races including the 1966 SCCA Championship races at Riverside showing the famous battle between the Ford Cortina and GTA of Horst Kwech (now owned by CanAmBob).

If you would like to buy some images, you can contact him directly. The first 8x10 or 11x14 with 9x12 image size is $59 after 1st 8x10s are $29. 11x14s are $39. A lot of time is invested in and restoring all images. All spots and scanning scratches are removed from final prints.

john1942 @ sbcglobal . net

John Wilson Photography

#816 ·
1971 Laguna Seca results.

I have edited Post 809 above to add the 1971 Laguna Seca TA results from CP&A Nov6, 1971. Bert Everett on the #2 Wetson GTV was omitted from the SCCA result. See pic 2 and pic 3 is a press release appended to my copy of the SCCA results. These last 2 are usually missing from other posted and published records and in any case it omits Everett.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#817 ·
After a lot of searching, the Google Gods pointed towards a Higher resolution version of "Against All Odds" on Youtube. Not sure, how my typing in "john morton against all odds" was any different this time than the last 20 times i did a similar search...either way this it is a quality version. Thank you YouTube!

Enjoy the movie, it is a Great one!

john morton against all odds

#818 ·
After a lot of searching, the Google Gods pointed towards a Higher resolution version of "Against All Odds" on Youtube. Not sure, how my typing in "john morton against all odds" was any different this time than the last 20 times i did a similar search...either way this it is a quality version. Thank you YouTube!

Enjoy the movie, it is a Great one!

john morton against all odds
YouTube - Against All Odds Nissan Datsun 1600 / 510 BRE Racing
wicket cool...what a great film footage.

strange choice for the ending credit soundtrack. i expected to see some flower children and a bare footed Billy Jack!

many thanks for posting.