Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#751 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm not very familiar with your GTV and its story but I have been given to understand that Burns was on GTA 613874 in 1971 for 2 Trans Am races at Riverside and Laguna Seca. Note the colours in the entry list and the chassis ID as GTA in the result. First pic, from Comp Press, is Laguna Seca 1971. Second pic a period photo of 613874. Third pic collage, 613874, as a "barn find" more recently.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#750 · (Edited)
Hi, all 26 cars on the entry list are there in that picture and almost in correct order. They go back in pairs and then there is a single BMW in row 7 where there should be 2 BMWs. GTA #39 Burns is the 10th car back on the right side line in the 10th row, circled. The lagging BMW is at the end of the pack.

I attach another pic from that race, Jon Norman on #58.

I'll scan and send that picture. How about sharing your GTV's serial number and history.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#752 ·
Burn's GTA-

Nice picture of the car- I hate seeing it- a few years back I was lined-up to buy it and got screwed. It was in very original condition- in this livery. The guy who got the car has apparently painted it red. Keeping it in it's original livery was supposed to be a condition of the sale and something I would have honoured- it would have been cool! About 10 yrs. ago- my records show chassis # 613-874.

#754 · (Edited)
Nice picture of the car- I hate seeing it- a few years back I was lined-up to buy it and got screwed. It was in very original condition- in this livery. The guy who got the car has apparently painted it red. Keeping it in it's original livery was supposed to be a condition of the sale and something I would have honoured- it would have been cool! About 10 yrs. ago- my records show chassis # 613-874.
Hey Fred, Yes I have seen pictures of it newly re-painted red which likely was the original Alfa colour. If the panels were stripped to bare, then painted red then painted in the 1971 livery how authentic would that restoration be?

I guess she should be raced in the livery that she had in the day.

GTA 752507 had 18 coats of paint and primer on her but I can't afford to honour the several livery changes before the final "BOBCOR" #25 yellow goes on her. Still can be done.

Funny thing about that BOBCOR yellow; Bernie Martinez apparently asked Bob Cozza for the yellow paint code for the Schley #52 BOBCOR GTA and was refused as it was a secret or proprietary or patented or something. BUT the 3 coats of yellow that were on 752507 were 3 different shades of yellow. Go figure!! Apparently the BOBCOR shop in Buffalo was painted yellow.

FWIW

Ken

#753 ·
Our car is the GTV that Burns ran after the GTA. It is pictured in this thread, post numbers 2, 713, and 720 (as #20). The GTA was damaged at Laguna in '71. From what we know, Burns was building the GTV from a wrecked street car and to replace the GTA. Our car has log book # 72-BS-37. We know that he ran the car from '72 onward. We are under the assumption that he ran it for the last race of the '71 season (Riverside) after the GTA was damaged at Laguna. I was excited to see your pic, hoping to be able to tell if #39 was red or the white/orange/yellow paint scheme of the GTA. Our car ran as 39?, 20, and 9.

#755 · (Edited)
Hi Greg, thanks for that info on #20.

In 1971 Riverside was run Oct 3 and Laguna Seca was run 2 weeks later, on October 17, 1971 becoming the last race of the 1971 season. It was put in the lineup after the scheduled event at Kent was canceled.

That Laguna Seca race was the championship decider and it fell to Datsun after Kwech,the race winner, was disqualified by the race steward. The SCCA race result I posted above in PDF form is often not included in other on line archives and Freidman said in "Trans-Am" that the SCCA didn't have it and he didn't thank me either when I sent him a copy.

In the Tronolone picture, #39 looks to be white.

Ciao

Ken

#757 ·
No brass tag anymore... The car has had the roll cage changed a few times over the years, and the tag is gone. It has been raced pretty much its whole life and was updated/changed a lot as the years went on... 46 races in the log books! We are currently restoring the car back to its '72 Laguna livery as shown in post #720, and we are redoing the cage to be back the way it was then.

#758 ·
Hi, well that's too bad but understandable for such a hard working racer. I thought GTA 752507 had a lot of races at about 30 in the Trans Am Years 66 to 72 and a few as C-Sedan afterward. Her cage was just altered behind driver and forward of dash after 1972 so the Brass TAg was still there. She is getting a new cage now with this restoration that reproduces the 1971 configuration and the brass tag will be returned to its original position.

Ciao

Ken

#759 ·
1971 Mid Ohio TA Report from CP&A Jun 26 1971

I may have posted this Comp Press Mid Ohio report before in PDF but here it is in cut and paste jpeg. And some pics of the photos.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#760 ·
More 1971 Mid Ohio

Pics. Second one better version of start from different source.

Attachments

#764 ·
That's an awesome photo- thanks for posting! LOOK AT THE SIZE of that rear tire!
Hey Fred -
I'm guessing the tire on the other side is the same size!!!! :D;);):rolleyes:

#770 · (Edited)
Hi the Champion Ad is referencing the 1970 Trans Am. I wonder what plugs Midgley was using for his 2 1970 wins?

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#771 · (Edited)
1971 Donnybrooke TA Report from CP&A July 24, 1971

Hello All, some reading for the holiday season.

Here is a race report from Comp Press, July 24 1971 for the 1971 Donnybrooke Trans Am. It is a cut and paste layout.

With this report I have to correct the race results for RHD GTA 752507, #25, for 1971 as it appears Everett was not on #25 as previously thought but was on the team mate GTA, the LHD GTA #26, which was driven by Gaston Andrey in earlier 1971 races.

Alas
For the Record

Ken

Attachments

#772 ·
1971 Donnybrooke TA Report from CP&A July 24, 1971

Some slightly better pictures. These are pics of a photocopy of the article I got after the Watkins Glen Vintage festival at the International Motor Sport Archives in Watkins Glen.

Attachments

#773 · (Edited)
1971 Edmonton TA Report fro CP&A

Here is a cut and paste report of the 1971 Edmonton TA taken from CP&A July 10, 1971. I am looking for and entry nlist for this event and pictures of Everett on GTA.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#774 ·
1971 Bryar TA Report from CP&A

Here is a cut and paste report for the 1971 Bryar TA from CP&A.

Enjoy

Ken

Attachments

#775 ·
Gus Andrey Makes it 2 in A Row for Alfa with win at Bryar

I may have posted this before but here it is with the race report.

Gus Andrey Makes it 2 in A Row for Alfa with win at Bryar

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#776 ·
1970 Lime Rock Picture Report from SCCA Sports Car

1970 Lime Rock Picture Report from SCCA Sports Car June 1970.

Ken

Attachments

#777 ·
1971 Lime Rock Photo Report from SCCA Sports Car

1971 Lime Rock Photo Report from SCCA Sports Car. Not much here.

Attachments

#778 ·
1971 Riverside TA Report from CP&A

1971 Riverside TA Report from CP&A.

Everett was on #2 Wetson GTV for the second of 3 rides in 1971. The first at the Glen and the third at Laguna Seca, that infamous last race for 1971, where he was DNF but due to an oversight was not reported in the SCCA results.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#782 ·
#783 · (Edited)
ARI Trans Am period docs

Hello All, In looking through my paper files to answer Keith's question above I came across some copies of some period ARI docs that I may not have previously scanned and posted for your infinite enjoyment. :)

An ARI press release from 1966, the ARI GTA Offer, a letter to a Trans Am participant and sales note.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#784 ·
more ARI Trans Am period docs

The letter to Trans Am Participant Ingleheart who was on GTA 752503 in 1966 and a sales note.

Ken

Attachments

#785 · (Edited)
RHD Shankle/Provenzano GTA #97

Hi All,

I have recently learned that the white and blue RHD Shankle/Provenzano GTA #97 is GTA 752501 and is with Scott Gray in California, USA.

Martin and Max have also uncovered some probable Euro Race history for her prior to her export to the USA.

Lots of pictures of 752501 are already here in this Trans Am thread but I attach a few as a reminder.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#786 · (Edited)

Hi Ken and others,
That is some neat stuff Ken. To answer your question, 752573 currently has the roof panel and trunk drip edge from the first Roger Lewis GTA. Bonnie Evans damaged the car in an SCCA National race in Sept 1975. Mecca owned this other GTA and removed some body parts from it. The roof and probably rear clip from Roger Lewis 613886 was used to fix the RHD car. So, it currently had 10502A in the drip edge.
Keith

#787 · (Edited)
Hi Ken and others,
That is some neat stuff Ken. To answer your question, 752573 currently has the roof panel and trunk drip edge from the first Roger Lewis GTA. Bonnie Evans damaged the car in an SCCA National race in Sept 1975. Mecca owned this other GTA and removed some body parts from it. The roof and probably rear clip from Roger Lewis 613886 was used to fix the RHD car. So, it currently had 10502A in the drip edge.
Keith
Hi Keith, So this is a situation where the picture of that 10502A drip edge on a RHD GTA would need a thousand words so to speak, but still a very valid explanation and part of her history. Wonder what is in the drip edge of 613886 today. My first guess is nothing but it too may have it's story.

Thanks

Ken

#788 ·
One Mystery Solved, one open and a new one posed

Hi All, Erie PA GTA owner John Wright sent these 2 pictures of Ed Wachs and his #6 GTA at the Nelson Ledges SCCA Nationals 1971 and it solved a mystery for me, posed by the Ken Lee Picture of #25 at Mont Tremblant in 1969. Third Picture.

I had wondered who the driver walking past #25 was and now see, thanks to John's pictures, that it is Ed Wachs, the only Alfa Driver to race that weekend at Mount Tremblant on a LHD GTA #68, fourth picture.

The driver looking into the engine bay of #25 is likely Gaston Andrey, her driver.

Now who is the driver Wachs is talking to in the second picture? John wonders if it is Horst Kwech.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#789 · (Edited)
1972 Race Report Lime Rock TA from CP&A

Here is a cut and paste photocopy of the 1972 Race Report Lime Rock TA from CP&A May 27 1972.

This was the penultimate race for the #26 LHD GTA under Ed Rogers. This GTA is thought to be the #4 1970 Harry T GTA (GTAj chassis?) and #26 1971 Gaston Andrey GTA; now running #26 BOBCOR livery for 1972.

Regards

Ken

Attachments