Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#646 ·
Lime Rock Park Trans Am 1968

A few more Lime Rock Park Trans Am 1968.. 3rd pic has nose of the KwechGTA in 3rd row.

Kwech ended up 12th completing 115 laps of the 171 laps completed by race winner and Harry T was DNF at 14th completing 122 laps.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#647 ·
#650 ·
The Marlboro GTA Pictures

The Marlboro GTA Pictures; only a few.

See #32 Richards, 752507, red with white stripe ahead of wheel, door ajar just behind yellow Cortina.

Also see red GTA away while some big cars still sitting on the grid.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#651 · (Edited)
A video with some Trans Am GTA content

The 2 67 Tri Colours and later Schley #8 chasing one of the Wetson team GTVs.

Ken

#652 ·
video 1972 Schley #52 in Yellow BOBCOR Livery

Another U tube video again showing the Schley GTA this time in 1972 Livery, #52 BOBCOR yellow.

This was at a BRE Datsun Reunion site

#654 ·
Lime Rock 67 TA

Hi All,
Ken asked me if I had a 67 Lime Rock entry list and results from a Consolation Race, run during the Trans Am weekend. I have everything, but the results from the "Consie". I didn't even know that they ran Consolation Races in Trans Am. The grid order can be deduced from the starting positions listed in the results. The qualifying times are greatly different between O-2 and U-2, so I suspect that the U-2 cars qualified separately in wet conditions. Note that the Winkler car is #62, because the Donahue Camaro was #6. This is the race where Monty rolled the #62 into a ball, pictured in the Alfa Owner in June 67.
The photos of Kwech running the Green car in 68 are interesting. He told me that they sold it to Harry T. right after Sebring, but he seems to have run it several other times and Monty Winkler drove it once, when Kwech was in the Shelby Mustang.
Keith

Attachments

#655 ·
1967 T/A Lime Rock

Hi All,
Ken asked me if I had a 67 Lime Rock entry list and results from a Consolation Race, run during the Trans Am weekend. I have everything, but the results from the "Consie". I didn't even know that they ran Consolation Races in Trans Am. The grid order can be deduced from the starting positions listed in the results. The qualifying times are greatly different between O-2 and U-2, so I suspect that the U-2 cars qualified separately in wet conditions. Note that the Winkler car is #62, because the Donahue Camaro was #6. This is the race where Monty rolled the #62 into a ball, pictured in the Alfa Owner in June 67.
The photos of Kwech running the Green car in 68 are interesting. He told me that they sold it to Harry T. right after Sebring, but he seems to have run it several other times and Monty Winkler drove it once, when Kwech was in the Shelby Mustang.
Keith
Keith,

when I try and line up the qualifying positions from your 4th picture with the consolation race result, I get the same finish order for the race as is the grid position except Andrey/Taylor go to 10th U-2(30th OA on grid) from 11th, so someone else did not start and the DNF Ingleheart/Barr GTA #95, 752503 in the consolation race Did not start the Trans Am as it was rolled and not fit or not repaired in time for the TA race. I did not know that 752503 had been rolled. I wonder if the current owner knows.

Maybe not surprisingly the Alfa Finishing order in the TA is the same as in the consolation.

So the consolation race was the most likely the qualifying race.

I have attached my source of info for the qualifying race along with other TA and SCCA results gleaned from Competition Press by Erik Z.

FWIW

Ken

Attachments

#658 ·
Alfa GTV Jr. 1971 ARRC Champion

While this is not trans Am coverage, I thought some of you might enjoy a few of these pics from 1971 - 1974. #22 was the SCCA C-Sedan Midwest Region Champion from 1971-1974 and SCCA National Champion in 1971. These are of Dick Davenport's Alfa GTA JR. fat fender car (first fat fender GTA in US) . The car was nicknamed "Fat Albert" and later sold to Jack Beck. Dr. Bernardo Martinez owns the car now.

Attachments

#659 · (Edited)
Lime Rock TA 1967

Thanks Ronny for the link

Does anyone Know the before and after of the RHD GTA #88 of Dorman/Molin. First Pic?

The white GTA in second pic looks like the LHD Harry T #82 entry. Is he following LHD #90?

Who is this driver? 3rd pic. Winkler?

regards

Ken

Attachments

#662 ·
1966 Marlboro

The TransAm Box Scores for the 1966 Marlboro race are not correct. First page is ok, third page might be ok, but the second page are from the next race at Green Valley.
A more correct version is at Frank de Jong's website, but there is still a little difference, Frank has 30 teams, the third page of the Box Scores list teams 34, 35 and 36.

To the starting grid, I see 28 cars, plus the no. 54 VW:
3rd is no. 27 *613144* Winkler/Van der Vate
11th is no. 32 *752507* Richards/Alderman
13th is no. 37 *613151*(?) Harry T./Posey
14th is no. 31 (ALFA-1) Armstrong/Hunter/Steele
16th is no. 38 *752642* Hanna/Brown
No more Alfa to see

If Taylor/Pratt, Berghagen/Mayfield, Thompson/McKemie and Baker/McQueen inscribed, they were DNA/DNS

#663 ·
Well Martin, that is a mess, widely distributed "official Results" that are in major error. I checked my personal set of results which I have found to have more info than the online set and Frieidman's set but it is as you say page 2 from Marlboro and Green Valley are identical down to the detail of 2 penciled in corrections.

Where would Frank Dejong's results have come from if not from SCCA. Can you find out and get it??

We need to track down an entry list for these races or better a grid position list.

But your visual analysis of the several grid pictures from the 2 sites recently posted here on this BB agrees with de Jong, in that there were only 5 Alfa GTAs at this event that started.

Thanks for this

Ken

#667 ·
#672 ·
1972 Watkins Glen T/A entry list

Attached is the 1972 Watkins Glen T/A entry list from the program. Don't think it has been posted here before.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#673 ·

Attachments

#676 · (Edited)
Hey Erik, yes I found these and have communicated with Cos. I think he agrees with me that the page 2 he posted is not correct and perpetuates an error or omission. I hope the Carpenterdesign posted results which differ between place 16 to 33 will turn up a reliable source.

Sent you and e-mail re this.

Ciao

Ken

#677 · (Edited)
RHD #96 at Lime Rock 1970

Here are some pictures of a RHD GTA driven by Carmelo Giuffre at the 1970 Lime Rock Trans Am. He completed only 6 laps and was awarded last place DNF.

A bb member is trying to make contact with Giuffre.

Any further info about this GTA would be appreciated.

Pictures were taken by Rich Martin at age 15.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#678 · (Edited)
More pictures fom Lime Rock 1970

More pictures from Lime Rock 1970. Note colour of #4. Can anyone confirm this colour, as I thought it would be the same as team mate #3 or is this a film issue?

Attachments

#679 ·
More 1970 Trans Am at Lime Rock

More 1970 Trans Am at Lime Rock

Attachments

#680 ·
And 2 more from LR TA 1970

#25 Andrey finishes first, #3 Kwech second and #22 Peter Schuster 3rd on BMW, #69 Don Pike was DNF after 25 laps with body damage.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments