Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#612 ·
Kwech car

Hi
OK, now I see!! The 4th photo, by the way, is Lime Rock. Susan took a similar photo with the ramp truck. A friend of ours who lived on Long Island, at the time claims to have built up that truck for Herb Wetson, out of a UHaul truck.
I wonder if it's still around?
Thanks,
Keith

#613 · (Edited)
Autoweek retraction regarding Sebring 1966 TA winner

Here is an interesting retraction printed by Autoweek in 1969. In my review of old issues I noticed the erroneous claim that Bob Tullius had won the first Trans-Am then I found the attached retraction with a new photo of the Rindt GTA. These old Autoweek issue are a real treasure trove of history. Now who was the Alfista that called Autoweek back in 1969 and set them straight?

Attachments

#614 ·
Here's a picture of a Wetson GTV at Laguna Seca. Most likely Kwech in that most famous of TA duels in 1971. The picture was printed in the June 1972 Olympia Sprints Laguna Seca Race Program. I've posted a pdf of the programs hi-lites in the GTA forum.

Ciao Ken

Attachments

#615 ·
George Alderman

I have been in contact with George Alderman recently. George co-drove, with Paul Richards, GTA 752507 in 3 or maybe 4 races in 1966, for the owner Baker and Heijn.

He has confirmed that some pictures I have of 752507 in 1966 show Paul Richards at the wheel and one is of Paul in the pits at Sebring. He spoke of Paul having to finish the race at VIR with a broken loose seat.

George also confirmed that Paul Richards is deceased, but not so long ago as I had previously thought. He also thought Howard Hanna to still be with us having met a family member recently.

George also sent me a picture of a Fuel can used to re-fuel 752507 in 1966.

George was on Mustang in the 1967 T/A and raced other Alfa powered racers in other years. The Mustang has been a recent "barn find" as is back in George's family's possession.

ciao

Ken

Attachments

#619 · (Edited)
Sorry, can't do that. Will send you a PM re where I got my copy. Maybe you can be lucky too if they still have any.

Or if you buy one of the 3 GTA's pictured I'll make sure you get a Signed copy

Ciao

Ken

#620 ·
1967 Green Valley Trans Am!!!

Hi All,
While looking at the Freidman Trans Am book recently, I noticed a similarity in photos from anther book. Last year I got a copy of the Sports Car Graphic, 1967 Competition Yearbook.
The first photo is from Friedman's book. It shows a line of cars going through a corner. He apparently cropped the photo to illustrate the text. In the second full frame photo, from the SCG yearbook, one of the tri-color Alfas is off line. The SCG report says that Kwech was leading until his motor went sour and then he dropped back. Monty Winkler went out with gearbox problem, as I recall. I think that this is Kwech, nursing his car to the finish.
The research continues.
Keith

Attachments

#621 ·
Hi All,
While looking at the Freidman Trans Am book recently, I noticed a similarity in photos from anther book. Last year I got a copy of the Sports Car Graphic, 1967 Competition Yearbook.
The first photo is from Friedman's book. It shows a line of cars going through a corner. He apparently cropped the photo to illustrate the text. In the second full frame photo, from the SCG yearbook, one of the tri-color Alfas is off line. The SCG report says that Kwech was leading until his motor went sour and then he dropped back. Monty Winkler went out with gearbox problem, as I recall. I think that this is Kwech, nursing his car to the finish.
The research continues.
Keith
Hi Keith, good catch, I find it very satisfying coming across finds such as these about these Trans Am GTAs.

Good work

Ciao

Ken

#623 · (Edited)
Kwech-Winkler 67 Modesto Trans Am

Hey,
I found another of these "background" pictures. Look behind the Porsche 911 in this photo at the 67 Crows Landing-Modesto Trans Am event. It is Kwech's car, in the pits, with the crew trying to straighten the tail panel and trunk lid!!
The second frame is an Autoweek article from Monty Winkler's scrap book that his wife collected during the 67 season. Apparently Kwech was hit in the rear by that white Camaro, or the Camaro shoved Bert Everett's Porsche{#14 in the previous photo} into Kwech. This is the answer to the mystery that I mentioned way back in this thread. Between Continental Divide and Riverside, the back of the #3 car changes appearance. It was damaged at this Crow's Landing race and quickly repaired before the Riverside event. Unfortunately, it then got written off at Riverside.
Keith

Attachments

#624 · (Edited)
new photos from 1966 Marlboro Trans-Am

Steve Knolls Group 44 has great new photos from the 1996 Marlboro Trans-Am.

Steve has two great shots of the Winkler/Van der Vate GTA now owned by Scott Gray. This is the first GTA imported to America and the winner of the "refrigerator bowl" in January of 1966 at the same Marlboro track.

Here is the link which has lots more photos

Vintage Racing

Attachments

#625 ·
Steve Knolls Group 44 has great new photos from the 1996 Marlboro Trans-Am.

Steve has two great shots of the Winkler/Van der Vate GTA now owned by Scott Gray. This is the first GTA imported to America and the winner of the "refrigerator bowl" in January of 1966 at the same Marlboro track.

Here is the link which has lots more photos

Vintage Racing
Hey Bob, Thanks for posting this link. Some new to me pics of 752507 #32 Richards/Alderman. As well as Pics of GTAs #27, #31 and #37

I note a caption error beside the Harry T Photo which includes Richards on #37 with Harry and Posey' when I think it is well understood that Richards was on #32 with Alderman. I guess this caption is based on a note from Mac Tilton I found in a related link. See below. I sent a question off to George Alderman re this.

----------------------------------------------
Mac Tilton on "The Great Race" in 1966
Many of you will know that Mac Tilton, founder of Tilton Engineering, was Tony "a2z's" Crew Chief in his 1968 Trans Am Championship season

Tony forwarded this e-mail to me from Mac

"The 1966 trans Am from the 12 hours of Marlboro brought back many memories. This was the race that the GTA I built for Harry the Greek and codriven by Sam Posey and Paul Richards won the under 2ltr. class an hour after the finish. Sir John Whitmore was given the victory and received all the publicity but when the laps were counted we won by a lap. Sams half brother was our score keeper and went on to do many major races before computers took over. Wish I have some photos from that race. We received very little notice because the Cortina's we (sic) supposed to win from the start"

-----------------------------------

Also note a RHD GTA #31 with Texas Plates. Wonder if this is Del Taylor/Bob Pratt as they used #31 at VIR or is it another team?

Thanks and Regards

Ken

#627 ·
Marlboro 1966 more pics from Group 44

Here are some more pictures I found at the site Bob alerted us to.

Attachments

#628 ·
More Marlboro 1966

More Marlboro 1966. There are lots of other pics at this site of other O and U racers and the people involved at the time.

Ciao

kEN

Attachments

#629 ·
71 Schley, Midgley, Everett

Here are a couple of pics from the 71 Trans Am season that were provided through the Trans Am Amelia Island folks a few years ago.

A couple of ratty-taddy GTA's as both Lee and Ken are hustling their hotrods - I think it might be the Glen.

Second is Bert Everett with the his signature RHD GTA and school bus like steering wheel.

BTW - I'd greatly appreciate any pics of Ken's #8 GTA. He later (in 72') went on to team up with Bert and both cars were even rattier and yellow under the Bobcor banner. The #8 GTA competed at the runoffs in 70' (5th in CS) where it was owned and driven by John O'Malley of L.A. Ken later bought it and ran the 71' T/A season with original Jr livery (red with white strips).

Thanks,
Bernardo

Attachments

#630 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pics from the 71 Trans Am season that were provided through the Trans Am Amelia Island folks a few years ago.

A couple of ratty-taddy GTA's as both Lee and Ken are hustling their hotrods - I think it might be the Glen.

Second is Bert Everett with the his signature RHD GTA and school bus like steering wheel.

BTW - I'd greatly appreciate any pics of Ken's #8 GTA. He later (in 72') went on to team up with Bert and both cars were even rattier and yellow under the Bobcor banner. The #8 GTA competed at the runoffs in 70' (5th in CS) where it was owned and driven by John O'Malley of L.A. Ken later bought it and ran the 71' T/A season with original Jr livery (red with white strips).

Thanks,
Bernardo
Hi Bernie, thanks for this Pic of 752507 in her 1971 RWB livery.

I spoke with Paul Glynn, Andrey/ Everett T/A crew 1971, a few weeks back for the most part about the 1971 #26 Andrey GTA and posted some info on the BB regarding that part of our conversation.

During the conversation he also told me that at the Watkins Glen TA in 1971, Everett had leased and raced the #2 Wetson GTV, which is well known. He also told me that GTA 752507, #25 was leased to Pete Schuster, who then put her in second place, 88 sec behind Kweck. This I did not previously know, so if your posted picture above in post #629 was taken at the Glen then it Pete Shuster at the wheel. Input about track is welcome. Edit: I have since determined (09/2010) that Shuster was on #22 LHD GTA, leased likely from Gaston Andry; so not on 752507.
Paul G. also told me that while Everett was entered and raced at the Laguna Seca TA 1971 in the #2 Wetson GTV, he had a break down and for some reason was not shown in the SCCA result as a DNF or otherwise. I confirmed with Paul that the break down was during the race and not in practice.

Regards

Ken

#631 · (Edited)
Peter Schuster on GTA #25 at Watkins Glen 1971

Hello All,

If any one has any documentation on the 1971 TA at the Glen, such as Re-vised entry list, Starting grid positions, Competition press reports, other reports, testimonials, names of Photographers that shot the 1971 Glen T\A or contact info for Schuster to help me document that Schuster did drive #25 at The Glen in 1971 it would be appreciated.

I have the entry list and Peter Schuster is not shown as entered so maybe the leasing of #25 was a last minute deal.

The SCCA results do show Schuster on Alfa in second but no race number. And the entry list shows Francis Larkin on #51 BMW (see pic of #25 and #51 above)

Thanks

Ken

#632 ·
Trans Am Alfas by photographer Pete Lyons

I was just on Pete Lyons web site Pete Lyons Photos, Books, DVDs and found pictures of a few TA Alfas under- Photo Galleries/Marques/Alfa Romeo.

I also made a request of Mr Lyons re GTA 752507 and got a very fast and friendly response.

Enjoy

Ken

#639 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if these pics of #5 and all the minis are from a Trans Am race. Possibly an SCCA race??? Could you check the site source for more info please and share the site address if not here but by PM.

Thanks

Ken

#641 ·
The previous three photos were taken at Nelson Ledges Oh. The first two are taken at the entrance to to turn#13, and the last one at the entrance to turn #4. The Alfa is the Ammen/Rutherford car. I'm thinking the date is '72 or'73.
Around that time the owner/driver of the #1 mini [ a long time friend ] approached me [ a Alfa tech ] about intake port design on the GTA jr. He was looking for any documentation regarding raising the port location. He claimed that Alfa had issued a bulletin about a change in head design. Being a Alfisti I wasn't really interested in aiding in a protest against the Ammen/Rutherford car.
The truth is that I had never seen a GTA head, heck, I barely knew what a GTA was!

- Burt

#644 ·
The race was called the Cumberland National. The event used to held at the airport in Cumberland MD. When the FAA prohibited racing at airports the event was moved to Nelson Ledges. I don't remember the #5 car as a B-sedan, I am pretty sure it ran in c-sedan. [ but that was a long time ago ].

- Burt

#645 · (Edited)
Lime Rock Park Trans Am 1968

Hi, Erick Z. led me to this Photo Bucket with quite a few Lime Rock Park Trans Am 1968 pictures including Kwech on #31 RHD?? GTA in Green and White Livery as best I can tell (see 3rd pic) and Harry T on LHD GTA #82 White.

Comments re Kwech's livery and if RHD are invited.

LRP 1968 Trans Am pictures by felixdk - Photobucket

Also thanks to the Photo Bucket poster.

Regards

Ken

Attachments