Alfa Romeo Forums banner

AROC Trip Malaysia-Thailand-Laos-China

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  tsu105 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Some pics of a trip we just had with members driving from all three countries. Great drive and company.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pictures. I made several work visits to Bangkok around 1990, and was surprised to see the plant manager had a very nice GTV. He mentioned attending races at the Bira race track, but I was surprised that he didn't know that it was named after the Siamese racer Prince Bira. Is the track still there?

#4 ·
Thanks Guys,

Yes the circuit is still around and sometimes we drive down south to a place called Kaeng Krachan for track days too

#6 ·
Hi Derek,

Up the hills to Chiangrai heading towards the Laos border, an unfortunate accident with one of the leading cars, no one was hurt though but the car could not continue the journey.

Also a picture of some interesting architecture for you....

Attachments

#8 ·
inner headlamps

Hi Jorma,

I,m in Malaysia at the moment and will be returning to Thailand next week and will get around to sending you the replacement headlamp as i,ve sent all my stuff back there as most of my projects are over there.

Catch up with you soon......thinking of buying another project car that my friend cant finish..pictures attached, what do you think? Another GTV 2000:( as I cant find a Scalino and I would really like a coupe to drive around in Malaysia

#9 ·
Yes Soo, I love seeing the alfas out and about in exotic places!

There have been a couple of stepfronts popping up for sale in Australia lately, I wonder what the shipping is like to Malaysia? Could be reasonable if one shows up in Perth.

#11 ·
hi TSU105,

it is nice to see that also in the far east Alfisiti exist.

On the accident picture I notice a White Alfa Romeo 166 Face Lift! That is very special as white is to my knowledge not a official color for the 166. Or is this a respray job?

Can you please post some more pictures of this white 166?

thank you,
rgds,
Frank

#12 ·
Hi Frank,

Aha...you,ve got an eye for details. The car was actually originally in white its factory colour, here's the clincher....it has a recent face job to the newer face lift hence the colour that you see.

Hi Jorma,

I,ve always wanted a Scalino but cant seem to get one and this came up. As you know I,ve already restored my silver GTV 2000 in Thailand and I want so much to drive a coupe when I,m in Malaysia so just thinking about this uncompleted project car which I think I can quickly restore as most of the car is intact. But that mean another long hunt for NOS lights, etc all over again.

Friends here are saying to stay off it as it will be an exact repeat of the cars I have in Thailand. What do you think? Dont really want to see the going in the wrong direction and bodged up and the PO really wants me to have it as he ,s sure I,ll do t justice.

Here are the pictures...

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi again,

Will be needing some comments soon or advice whether to take this one on...it looks quite complete but will be needing a total mechanical job for the suspension, brakes and engine etc. Plus the condition you see is the way it is now and I,ll have to take it where my friend left off. Think the car had a left shunt on the front before.

The interior is intact but will have to be totally retrimmed as well so I,m really weighing the cost as I will have to spend quite a large amount to get it all right again. My worry is the basic fundamentals of the car will never be as good as tmy silver car which was in amore original condition requiring much less welding and generally in a better shape though I had to do everything as mentioned above.:confused:

Attachments

#14 ·
Soo, it's allways hard to say ”no” for a beautiful coupe, but looks that this one really need work, so think twice before going for it. If the price is very(mean really) reasonable and you don't have deadline for finishing it yes, but otherwise it's probaply better let it go. Hard decision I know :(

#17 ·
Hi Jorma,

Thanks , knew I could count on you for some wise advice....I,m turning away from this one as it really is difficult for me to complete the resto here in Malaysia. I,ll be better off looking for a better Scalino as that is the car I really want.

Also you said you found the outer headlamps with the small cursive script for your car, can you find two more pairs as I,ll be needing it for my GTV 1750 series 1 project and also to help out my mechanic who is doing his Giulia Super.

#16 ·
thank you TSU105,

so if I understand you correctly; the 166 from the "ditch picture" was actualy a pre face lift model and had a nose job done; a complete new Face lift!

Can you please contact the owner of that 166 and ask him to post some pictures of this 166. Perhaps also of the face lift job itself.
The Dutch 166 Club owners would love to see this!

Alfa Romeo 166 Club Nieuws

rgds,
Frank

#18 ·
Hi ZZ jr,

Sorry I dont have any more pics of the car but you can check out this website where my friend had the conversion done. Many 156 also goes through this conversion with the facelift model but buying imported half cuts and swapping the parts.

ALFATECH MOTORSPORTS

#22 ·
Hi MJB,

Here is my email csong@ei-lifstyle.com, you can drop me a line and we sure look forward to expanding the expat Alfa community here in Pattaya and also Bangkok. Most of my friends have joined the family and completed some resto project cars and whizzing about now in event trips. Look to hearing from you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.