Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to marksgtv
Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

I've borrowed the title of this thread from another car forum. However, when you borrow something, you're suppose to return it. I can't do that so I guess stolen is a more fitting term. I think there is solid interest across the Alfa board on this subject. My expertise is mainly with the 3-spoke, leather covered early Momo wheels in the style of the Monza and prototipo but I have to say, I love the early Nardi, and Hellebore wheels and the countless others too.

This thread should be for reference only... No sales. And, if you guys agree, as far as the aftermarket wheels are concerned, this shouldn't be limited to Alfas alone. I've seen some fantastic steering wheels in Lancias, Ferraris, Porsches, Abarths, Lotus... you name it.

Factory wheels can certainly focus on Alfa Romeo... but, I'll leave that to the group conscious. Feel free to contribute as you wish.

Let's face it. The steering wheel is such an integral part of the driving experience. Seeing, holding and driving a car with a great steering wheel is unforgettable. To me, they really complete the interior of a car and it's the first thing I notice. When you find the perfect steering wheel for your car, you should make an emotional connection with it. I know I do. If you're like me and have a similar reaction, then this thread is for you. You'd better believe there are folks out there that think we're nuts. That's fine... they'll never get it. A special thanks to Ken Geiger for encouraging me to get things started.

I will begin with an aftermarket wheel, the classic Momo prototipo. This is what I call a first generation prototipo. I call it that because this style, with the engraved prototipo name at the bottom of the center spoke was the first kind made by Momo back in the late 1960s.

This is a fairly rare diameter of 370mm and is flat. To the best of my knowledge, it's from approximately 1968.
Attached Images

Last edited by marksgtv; 01-02-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: additions
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Early Momo Monza

Speaking of emotional experiences. When I pulled this Monza out of the box it was shipped in, I had butterflies in my stomach. It is probably my favorite old Momo. This type of Monza is really rare to find. Usually when you find a Monza, you see a thinner grip and no side spoke thumb pads. This is for the most part, just like an early prototipo, except it has Monza engraved on it. I personally really like the thicker grip.

Flat and 360mm diameter. The earlier PAT. MOMO ITALY type engraving on the back I believe to be from approximately 1966-68 but that's just my best guess.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to don hodgdon Send a message via Yahoo to don hodgdon
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksgtv View Post
Let's face it. The steering wheel is such an integral part of the driving experience. Seeing, holding and driving a car with a great steering wheel is unforgettable. To me, they really complete the interior of a car and it's the first thing I notice. When you find the perfect steering wheel for your car, you should make an emotional connection with it. I know I do. If you're like me and have a similar reaction, then this thread is for you. You'd better believe there are folks out there that think we're nuts. That's fine... they'll never get it.
Couldn't agree more...

A couple of old Momo wheels. A silver Prototipo that has seen use in many cars over the years, finally ending up in my brother's Volvo 122 Mulholland car, and a Momo built wheel sold through the Volvo R-Sport catalogue.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM

400mm pre-Momo Monza

Thanks for posting Don. Nice wheels.

This is one of the coolest wheels I've ever owned. I'm sure there's a lot of history worked into it's leather... if it could only talk.

Note that it's handmade ... and with that, you see a couple of little inconsistencies within it's design that give it character. Like, the slightly off-center mounting holes and spoke holes. Also note the 12707 number on the back. More on that later.

This wheel was too big for my 911 but I felt it was perfect for an early to mid '60s Alfa, Maserati or Ferrari
Attached Images

Last edited by marksgtv; 01-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 PM

More Monza photos

Here are some better photos of his great old steering wheel. I ended up selling this wheel to a guy in California and I believe he has it mounted in a Porsche 356 outlaw
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Let's visit Le Mans

There had been a discussion of late about these early Momo wheels... I have been known to get a bit passionate about the subject, so forgive me.

It has been said that the Momo Le Mans wheel is incredibly rare. The early, flat Momo wheels are rare... but the least rare of these is the Le Mans. That doesn't make it any less cool. Heck, just the fact it's named Le Mans makes it very cool. Who here doesn't have a special memory of Le Mans... even if you've never been there, you probably have warm thoughts about this historic place. I know I do.

The Le Mans wheels are covered in vinyl with white cross stitching and came in black and silver anodized alloy. They came in all the sizes offered by Momo but most common is the 350mm diameter shown below.
Attached Images

Last edited by marksgtv; 01-05-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

So, what can you tell me about a Momo wheel with Mario Andretti's signature on the lower spoke? I don't have a good pic available, but will try and get one soon. It's wood rimmed, 3 solid, flat, aluminum spokes. It came with my first Alfetta sedan, almost 20 years ago, and I've kept it and put it on my current sedan.

Great thread idea...I've had a bunch of cool wheels, Abarth, Personal, Nardi, Momo, just wish I could find pictures of any of them!

In the meantime, here's a factory Alfetta Sedan wood rim wheel for reference....(only pic I have).
Attached Images

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S/'92 Ducati 900SS
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Hey Jeff, thanks for posting. I believe it was sometime in the late '70s that Momo began a series of signature steering wheels. Each wheel had a different design that had already been offered as a wheel without a signature. Probably the most popular was the Jackie Stewart model. But, there was also several others including a Jacky Ickx, (my personal favorite) Clay Regazzoni, Gilles Villeneuve, Ronnie Peterson, Niki Lauda and as you mentioned, a Mario Andretti signature wheel. I think I remember a George Fullmer wheel too. I believe the Ickx wheel and the Villeneuve wheel were based on the same design. And, I think the Lauda and the Andretti wheel were based on the same wheel.

I have to say, I thought all the signature wheels were leather covered. I've never heard of a wood rimmed Andretti wheel though I wouldn't be surprised to learn otherwise. I'm learning new things about these wheels all the time. The Andretti model I'm familiar with is based on the popular C35 Momo design, pictured below.

Many of you may remember a Mark Donahue signature wheel. It was made by Racemark and are pretty rare today. I think most of those had a pretty small diameter and red stitching in the leather. Also pictured below is a Momo Stewart model on the left and a Racemark Donahue wheel on the right. Notice the really thick grip on the Stewart wheel... these make a really nice autocross wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by marksgtv; 01-05-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: updating
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Interesting info Mark, thanks. I definitely will get a few snaps tomorrow - my wheel looks nothing like those. Mine looks much more "vintage" - fairly large diameter, and pretty thin wood rim, and the spokes are thin, with a crosshatch sort of etching in the centers.

gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan

Last edited by sfalfa; 01-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Signature Momo wheels

Here are a few I was able to find in Google... see if you can Identify each wheel
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Mario Andretti Momo advert

I found this cool old Momo ad too.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Times up!

That first wheel is a Clay Regazzoni... second Jacky Ickx and last Ronnie Peterson.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Okay, I'm an idiot...pictures of my wheel are below. On the back it says "Made in Italy" below that 2-85 (date?). Anyhow...I always assumed it Andretti's signature (I thought that's what the previous owner called it), and never really looked closely at the scribble. Judging from Mario's signature in that advert, I'm thinking it's not his! Any guesses?? Looks to me like Moretti?
Anyhow - rim is 380mm.
Attached Images

gone but not forgotten
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Are there any "Momo Pininfarina" out there? It came out in the Mid-Eighties:

MOMO Pininfarina STEERING wheel,Ferrari,Alfa,Fiat,Volvo - eBay (item 360200046124 end time Jan-13-11 06:30:05 PST)

I had a helping hand in the design while I was working at PF.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Good God Jeff... what a beautiful wheel! I've never seen a Momo quite like it.
It's got the perfect look and character for an old Alfa. Is that 400mm diameter?

That could be Moretti's sig. but I'm not sure either.
I've got to do some research. Thanks for posting that. Just gorgeous.

Last edited by marksgtv; 01-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.