Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Other Italian Cars (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/other-italian-cars/)
-   -   Ferrari service prices (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/other-italian-cars/6833-ferrari-service-prices.html)

alfa63 09-21-2004 05:18 PM

Ferrari service prices

While I'm a wanna be Ferrari owner, the prices for Ferrari service are quite unbelievable! :eek: :eek: (See post #26 within the link.) Of course, the models I like - 400i or Dino - who knows what I'd have to cough up.

Anybody seen that tree that grows money?

Paradiso 09-21-2004 05:58 PM

As the saying goes, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

Alfaholicism has saved me from Ferrari madness.

Gibbo 09-22-2004 05:22 AM

My son (12), God bless him, has promised to buy me a Ferrari when he grows up. Having read this :eek: I hope he doesn't :D . Monti costs me enough as it is :)

BigSwede 09-22-2004 07:17 AM

Just don't get a mid-engined car... ;)

dave_fonz_164 09-22-2004 08:21 PM

crap, never thought it would be so much

then again, how many ferrari's acutally cross the 30000mile mark??

Timo 09-22-2004 10:08 PM

Big Swede is right, just don't buy a mid engine car...last year after the Concorso Italiano, at a mixed drink party (by the way I was the only lowly Alfa owner in attendance he, he) I learned that it cost my friend's uncle $5K just to "tune up" his '87 348 quatrovalvove! A valve adjustment requires the engine be dropped down and pulled out for access.

A local independent Ferrari/Italian car repair shop told me that $5K is cheap and it will typically cost $8K to do the job right!! I quickly concluded this is perhaps why it seems that so many Ferrari cars have under 100K miles on the clock and this is why I will probably never own one and simply admire them from afar.

Mr. C. 09-24-2004 05:25 PM

The services discussed involve a lot of work and the parts reguired are VERY expensive. Parts houses just don't do a large amount of business but are expected to carry most stuff in inventory so the prices must be high. The sad thing is that there seems to be a trend now where the customers think they are better at pricing service then the shops are. Lots of bidding requested and lots of playing the shops off against one another. It is all taking its toll on quality. Mr Chinetti would have had no part of any of it.

italcarguy 09-28-2004 08:14 AM

One thing you must also look at is the shop. For example....if you go to an exclusive Ferrari shop, chances are the prices are going to be higher than if you were to bring your Ferrari into a shop that specializes in all Italian cars.

jimcheney 09-28-2004 11:48 AM

I'd rather buy 8k in tools and learn to do the job myself.

claykilla 11-29-2004 01:02 PM

The tune-up Timo speaks of is due every 15,000 miles. New timing belts are also required at that time to prevent accidental breakage of same before next service is required. If they do give out before the next service, it's almost the same cost as the service itself to replace them. :eek:

dretceterini 11-29-2004 04:50 PM

If you can afford $250,000 for a new Ferrari, than you can afford the service..

alfajim 11-29-2004 10:17 PM

Having worked on Ferrari's for the past 25 years I sure see alot of bad information 5k is not a simple tune up. If people maintained their Alfa's like ferrari's are they would be spending much more on them.
From Ferrari chat

(All prices are approximations; prices include appropriate parts and labor)

*15,000 mile (MINOR) Service for 308's, 328's, Mondial 3.2's, & QV's = $1195.00
(348's and Mondial t's are $1495.00 & F355's are $1995.00 due to parts cost and added labor)

{Documentation of every service comes complete with full write-up, pictures, and receipts for your records}

-Replace Spark Plugs (NGK or Bosch)
-Change Oil and install new Filter
-Replace Air Filter
-Change Transaxle Gear Fluid
-Replace Fuel Filter(s)
-Bleed Brake Lines
-Replace entire 3 gallons of Coolant
-Replace A/C Belt
-Replace Alternator Belt
-Replace Water Pump Belt
-Check Lambda System
-Check Fuel Injection System
-Check Air Conditioning System (possibly pressures)
-Inspect Distributor Caps / Rotors / Ignition Wires
-Inspect all Bulbs
-Inspect all Motors
-Pressurize Coolant System (check for leaks, replace hose(s) if necessary
-Check CV Boots
-Thorough Inspection of entire car

*30,000 mile (MAJOR) Service for 308's, 328's, Mondial 3.2's & QV's = $2995.00
(348's are $3995.00 and Mondial t's & F355's are $4995.00 due to parts cost, engine removal, etc.)

{Documentation of every Major Service comes complete with a full write-up, pictures, and all receipts for your records}

-Replace Spark Plugs (NGK or Bosch)
-Replace Timing Belts and Tensioner Bearings
-Replace Cam Seals and Housing O-Rings
-Replace Valve Cover Gaskets
-Replace Distributor Seals and Housing Gaskets
-Replace Distributor Cap Gaskets
-Replace Cam End Cover Gaskets
-Replace Air Filter
-Replace Fuel Filter(s)
-Replace A/C Belt
-Replace Alternator / Water Pump Belt
-Adjust Valves (where applicable)
-Torque Cam Journals
-Torque Heads (check only)
-Set Timing
-Bleed Brake Lines
-Change Oil and New Filter
-Change Transaxle Gear Fluid
-Replace Coolant
-Inspection/Service of Air Conditioning System (recharge "R12" extra on 308's/348's but "R134" is included on F355's)
-Inspect all Lines (fuel, oil, water) and replace if necessary (extra charge for parts)
-Check of Lambda System and Bosch Fuel Injection System (make adjustments if necessary)
-Clean Engine Compartment
-Pressurize Coolant System, check for leaks
-Inspect CV Boots
-Inspect Fuse Panel
-Inspect Tires / Adj. Tire pressure

{The items below are inspected and advised to the customer at no charge. If any item(s) require service, the customer will be advised of the cost.

-Inspect Water Pump
-Inspect all Seals (shift shaft, main, timing gear assy)
-Inspect Ignition Wires / Caps / Rotors
-Inspect all Bulbs, Lights, Electrical Motors
-Inspect Clutch Pedal play (adjustment setting if necessary)
-Inspect all Suspension Bushings / Connections
-Inspect all Exhaust Joints / Connections for leaks
-Inspect Brake Pads and Discs
-Inspect Wheel Bearings

*3 Year (Timing Belt Change Only) Timing Belt Service for 360 Modena's = $1595.00

{Documentation of every service comes complete with full write-up, pictures, and receipts for your records}

-Change Both Timing Belts
-Set Timing Belt Tension (reset tensioners)
-Check/Set Cam Timing
-Replace all Accessory Belts
-Inspect Idler Bearings
-Change Coolant

*30,000 mile (MAJOR) Service for 360 Modena's = $2995.00

-Change Both Timing Belts
-Set Timing Belt Tension (reset tensioners)
-Check/Set Cam Timing
-Replace all Accessory Belts
-Replace Both Idler Bearings
-Change Oil and Filter (incl. cleaning screen)
-Change Gear Oil (incl. cleaning screen)
-Change Air Filters
-Change F1 Pump Fluid (if applicable)
-Change Brake Fluid
-Change Coolant
-Change Spark Plugs
-Check R134 Pressures
-Inspect Brakes
-Inspect Hoses
-Check Power Steering Fluid
-Check Alternator
-Inspect all Lines (fuel, oil, water) and replace if necessary (extra charge for parts)
-Check Oxygen Sensors
-Clean Engine Compartment
-Pressurize Coolant System, check for leaks
-Inspect CV Boots
-Inspect Fuse Panels
-Inspect Tires / Adj. Tire pressure
-Inspect Water Pump
-Inspect all Seals
-Inspect Ignition Wires
-Inspect all Bulbs, Lights, Electrical Motors
-Inspect all Suspension Bushings / Connections
-Inspect all Exhaust Joints / Connections for leaks

JudgeDredd 04-07-2005 09:35 AM

I want AlfaJim to adopt me just so I can maybe someday drive his cool Alfas. We're not worthy, we're not worthy. :) Thanks for clearing up the myth. I too have considered a Ferrari but think an Alfa will bring as much joy without the heartache.

D&SW 04-30-2005 04:58 AM

Ferrari of Greater Washington (DC) gives the following cost in their May 2005 newsletter:

Valve job for a 355 $ 18,000.

Replacing a head gasket on a V12 is 18,000 - 20,000.

Zinhead 04-30-2005 10:23 AM

I recently took a look at a cheap 308. Prior to looking at, I called Continental in Hinsdale and they quoted me a price of $5,000 to $6,000 for the 30K service, but said that they typically run between $8,000 to $9,000 because of other things they typically wrong with the cars. That was enough to swear me off Ferrari ownership, at least for a while.