FIAT 500C Sport Question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
FIAT 500C Sport Question

There have been some threads on the Fiat 500's on here and from what I have read, they are favorable. We are considering the purchase this year of a Fiat 500 Sport. The Abarth is more than our budget can afford, so we have thought about the 500 Sport because it has a turbo (?), so we get a good boost in performance without sacrificing gas mileage. My question is what to look for when considering a used 500 and comments about reliability. I thought I could purchase after market parts to pump up appearance and performance at some point down the proverbial road. I appreciate your comments.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
There have been some threads on the Fiat 500's on here and from what I have read, they are favorable. We are considering the purchase this year of a Fiat 500 Sport. The Abarth is more than our budget can afford, so we have thought about the 500 Sport because it has a turbo (?), so we get a good boost in performance without sacrificing gas mileage. My question is what to look for when considering a used 500 and comments about reliability. I thought I could purchase after market parts to pump up appearance and performance at some point down the proverbial road. I appreciate your comments.
My wife has a 500 Sport (non-c) that we bought in 2011 from the first regular shipment to the dealer. It is set to turn 98k today. At least in the first few years, the sport model did not have the turbo. It just had larger (huge!) wheels and stiffer suspension with the same drivetrain as the basic pop. We got it because it also had much better seats. I understand they have recently made some changes and reduced the number of trim levels, so maybe the later sports do have turbos.

Watch out for head clearance in the convertible or sunroof models. The basic sedan has lots of headroom.

As for reliability, it hasn't been back to the dealer since its first free oil change in which the dealer filled the poor car with enough oil for a v8 hemi. The only failures it has had were a rear wheel bearing that was probably self inflicted when we ended up driving through a flood, a broken shift cable end and one loose radiator hose. Not bad for almost 100k. In spite of its Mexican assembly, its been just as solid as all my other Fiats.

Oh, and the early ones had optional Bose audio which to my ears sucked. Just like the dealer radios in old Fiats. I actually think the basic stereos sounded better and you gain trunk space from the amp and a nice little tray under the passenger seat in lieu of the subwoofer.

As long as it hasn't been crashed and the oil has been changed when the reminder light came on, I don't really know of any unique issues to look for.

Sent from my TM800A612R using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 AM

Hi Velocedoc

I am only sorry that we live on opposite sides of that big ocean.....we could have done some sort of swap or whatever but I think postage will kill any deal.....at least for you!

Some 5/6 years ago I bought a new 500c Abarth from the UK and shipped to Japan; within the month I bought an EsseEsse kit and had fitted, so original Abarth wheels, brakes,suspension, exhaust, exhaust even an Abarth ECU! etc. now sitting in my garage taking up space....

I suggest you phone around and see if some garages/owners did the same and have the stuff still.....

Richard

Last edited by richards; 01-26-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Clarity!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richards View Post
Hi Velocedoc

I am only sorry that we live on opposite sides of that big ocean.....we could have done some sort of swap or whatever but I think postage will kill any deal.....at least for you!

Some 5/6 years ago I bought a new 500c Abarth from the UK and shipped to Japan; within the month I bought an EsseEsse kit and had fitted, so original Abarth wheels, brakes,suspension, exhaust, exhaust even an Abarth ECU! etc. now sitting in my garage taking up space....

I suggest you phone around and see if some garages/owners did the same and have the stuff still.....

Richard
Richard, you must have been reading my mind. Since the 500C has been out for a while overseas, it would make sense to start looking for upgraded parts to install on the car. Your comment makes perfect sense, so it would behoove me to get on a Fiat 500 forum and start to see what others have done. Also someone like you said might have some "parts" laying around.

What is the difference in the EsseEsse kit over the stock Abarth?

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Chris, I thought you were going to buy another Alfa and not a Fiat. I am planning to buy a Giulia QV from the local Alfa dealer that also sells Maserati and Fiat. I have a hard time believing that a Maserati Ghibli costs less than an Infiniti Q70 5.6 liter engine which might be a replacement for my wife's Infiniti I35. I might buy her a Maserati Ghibli which costs less, but she likes the Maserati Coupe which costs more. I was just watching the Guilia QV turn a 7 minute 32 second lap at Nurburgring breaking Porsche Panamerican record. I would like to drive at Nurburgring in a Giulia QV and see how fast I could go.

Last edited by kuni123456; 01-26-2017 at 11:04 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 PM

Hi Christopher

The `early` European Abarth had, from memory, 175+ hp, the EsseEsse kit increased that to 185+. I think after about 2/3 years all got the 180/5+ kit. When I put the `SS` kit on they also provided a new ECU; then, of course, FIAT just remapped the existing ECU.

I also put Brembo 4 pot callipers on w/ competition pads, crossed drilled discs, Koni shocks, a competition straight thru exhaust, and finally OZ racing wheels....The latter not included in the EsseEsse pack....

The EsseEsse badge completed the deal. Official EsseEsse kits were not imported into Japan; I did a self import, but my local Abarth dealer fitted everything.

Richard
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni123456 View Post
Chris, I thought you were going to buy another Alfa and not a Fiat. I am planning to buy a Giulia QV from the local Alfa dealer that also sells Maserati and Fiat. I have a hard time believing that a Maserati Ghibli costs less than an Infiniti Q70 5.6 liter engine which might be a replacement for my wife's Infiniti I35. I might buy her a Maserati Ghibli which costs less, but she likes the Maserati Coupe which costs more. I was just watching the Guilia QV turn a 7 minute 32 second lap at Nurburgring breaking Porsche Panamerican record. I would like to drive at Nurburgring in a Giulia QV and see how fast I could go.
John, it comes down to economics...fixed income. We could get a decent 2nd hand 500C if we have a good amount of money to put towards it. There is no way I can afford a new GV sedan even with the 1800 motor. Now if PCH shows up that could change everything...Hello Alfa Dealer!

Christopher

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Chris, I understand that most things are related to economics, but after restoring my 101 SV and restoring other Giulietta cars that buying a new QV is a good thing. My son was involved in a nasty car accident last month and probably would have been seriously hurt if his Infiniti G35 Coupe did not have side air bags. The car was totaled by the insurance company. I realize that safety is very important and driving old Alfas without any air bags might not be a wise ideal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode