Fulvia Sport advice - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Fulvia Sport advice

After attending this year´s Lancia Club Deutschland autumn meeting, my daughter informed me, that it would be time to acquire a Fulvia Sport. She is 15. Whatever strange planetary constellation was on, my wife agreed to my daughter´s idea. So the start window is open and I have to be quick before it closes again.

Any advice is highly appreciated. The pic shows one candidate I am going to inspect next week.

Hubert
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

These are great cars, and I have one in the shop right now.
I love the seats and the way they drive.

Number one item to look for is ... tada rust of course, everything mechanical can be fixed, and at this age you just have to go over it, and look at mechanical items

Having said that
Parts are generally more expensive to work on than an Alfa
The cars in general are harder to work on than a comparable Alfa
They will require more special tools than the Alfa

I really do love the things though

Kevin Harper
BIF Motors

KL Harper
Mebane, NC yes another one from Mebane and it is not that big of a town.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:47 PM

You are lucky if you have more than one to choose from. The earlier ones are prettier, with lovely hand formed bumpers, ( without rubber ), and fantastic spare wheel compartment.

1972 Lancia Fulvia 1.6HF Lusso
1958 Giulietta Spider project

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I smell a trap
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 PM

I realize that there are many more "normal" Fulvia Coupes in Germany than in the US, so the Fulvia Sport has the appeal of being more unusual.

But the standard Coupe is just so beautiful. The Zagato is certainly striking but to my eyes nowhere near as attractive as the coupe. Of course I am somewhat biased - here's my Series 2 1600HF at the local Italian car show.
Attached Images

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 AM

your daughter obviously has good taste. if you've ever driven a fulvia you already know how nimble and responsive they are. if you haven't driven one, you're in for a treat. as was mentioned, rust is the biggie to look for. the front subframe rear legs and mounts in particular. if the car is aluminum body, then look for corrosion on all of the lower portions of the car where the skin meets the unit body. i'm sure you must already know this.
be sure to exercise the brakes well to see if there is any pulling to one side, and check the on throttle/off throttle as well. if the steering components are worn the car tends to change direction when performing those tests.
one more thing to think about, as a father you will be concerned for safety. i have noticed that the visibility to the rear is a bit limited. be sure you are comfortable with this. most of the time this isn't a problem, but there are a couple of places where i need to look back and up a hill when pulling out that i notice this problem.
i hope you find a good car, it will certainly be a hit with your daughters circle of friends.

brian
s1 fulvia sport, s3 appia vignale
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Thanks a lot so far. My daughter´s taste is a special subject, Brian. We think we made a mistake when she was about 9 by visiting a car event at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium. There were many modern Lambos and Ferraris around and from that day she asks me to buy an Aventador or La Ferrari. Despite the fact that she obviously has a misled idea about the depth of my pocket, that is not the direction we intended to educate her. But perhaps you are right and now as she is growing up she starts discovering the really good things.

I had the chance to drive a 1.3s Coupé and found it to be a real fun car, and of course much more of a sports instrument than any Flaminia.

I will have a close look regarding rust and on the complete subframe/drivetrain/suspension assembly. Good hint to check moving of it by brake and acceleration tests.

What my main interest is, is there any recommendation regarding which series to prefer? The first series with more or less aluminum (and more chrome and less rubber) or the second series out of steel. Or should I go for the 1.6 HF? Literature says that the 1st series is 8 cm lower than the later ones, is it so and any ideas why?

Hubert

Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S

Last edited by Tedesco; 10-25-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM

its hard to say which model is better as all have merit. i prefer the first series as they seem to be a more pure interpretation of the design. i'm very happy with mine, 1st series, aluminum body, 1,3 engine. i think sometimes i would like the increased power of the 1,6, but whenever i drive mine i don't really think it's lacking for power. its a nicely balanced combination as is. i believe the first series sits a bit lower due to different springs, maybe the later higher setting springs are to meet regulations for headlight height or something. the early aluminum body, and the 1,6 are probably the more expensive and rare versions, and it's really up to you to decide if they are worth the premium price. hopefully you can drive both and then decide.
please keep us informed on what you decide.

brian
s1 fulvia sport, s3 appia vignale
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 PM

Hubert,

Chapter 9 of the out-of-print Weernink collectors' guide to Fulvia and Flavia has been posted on AlfaBB and might be helpful. If you simply Google "choosing a fulvia or flavia" it is the first item to appear.

Among both Alfa and Lancia 4 cylinders, the 1.3L engines seem to me more balanced and lively than the 1.6L, thus noticeably more enjoyable to drive. The difference in power simply doesn't matter, compared with modern cars. Especially with Italian cars, I also believe that the earliest iterations are almost invariably the most beautiful and the purest manifestation of design intent (hence my recent acquisition of a 2nd series Aurelia).

Although I have two sons, I always imagined that if I had a daughter, putting her into the right kind of car could be an effective means to encourage the right kind of potential boyfriends. Older cars also teach more attentive and careful driving. I think you are on the right track.

Best regards,
Don
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Don,

this will be very helpful. I found Wims text immediately. Besides asking knowledgable people about their opinion I purchased the shown book written by Carlo Stello and Bruno Vettore (nice name for a speed oriented person btw). Although dedicated to the competitione they describe the series cars in detail and point out the differences of the 2 series, including the pre-series cars, which are different in quite a few details and display the pure lines of the car (and appear to be the most beautiful ones in my opinion).

Keeping my daughter as a future driver (young and not experienced) in mind, I tend to concentrate on the 2S all steel 1.3S. One of my friends has a 1S which he would sell, will keep that in mind, too.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 10-27-2016 at 12:09 PM.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Although I have two sons, I always imagined that if I had a daughter, putting her into the right kind of car could be an effective means to encourage the right kind of potential boyfriends. Older cars also teach more attentive and careful driving. I think you are on the right track.

Best regards,
Don
This makes sense, but ... my father and I used to help my sisters buy cars and we bought a FIAT 125 once and while it only broke down once that sister never really bonded with the car I believe.

We found that once they started buying their own cars that the bonding formed and that is a big part in how well they look after them. A car they look after will be the safer car IMO due to their attitude.

My daughter, who has just got her learners license, is very artistic (and intelligent) and looking after things comes very second so her first car stands no chance of being kept clean and tidy ... but she did let slip that if I ever finish my GTV restoration it would make a great wedding car
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Gsp

Garage
Hi Hubert

First post I am the proud owner of a 1.3s, owned the car for 27 tears and finally got it back on the road last year. Absolutely fun to drive, they like to rev through the gears. I have photos of my son at the age of 12 standing in the engine bay with a spanner in his hand. he is now 21.
the 1.3s is a lovely car much prefer it to the Zagato. Will post pictures of mine but I have to reduce them in size first too big.

1.3S

George
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
Keeping my daughter as a future driver (young nd not experienced) in mind, I tend to concentrate on the 2S all steel 1.3S.
A seemingly nice one is offered at an auction this weekend: Automobiles sur les Champs 10 - Sale N° 3117 - Lot N° 174 | Artcurial. I purchased my Flaminia convertible through Artcurial, it was a good experience.

Don
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Among both Alfa and Lancia 4 cylinders, the 1.3L engines seem to me more balanced and lively than the 1.6L, thus noticeably more enjoyable to drive. The difference in power simply doesn't matter, compared with modern cars....Don
Have you driven a 1,6 Fulvia? Because I really disagree about the difference in power.

There's no question that the 1,3 Fulvia is smoother and freer revving -- the 1,2 is even better than the 1,3. And without suggesting that either is better, there's a huge difference in character between the 1,3 and the 1,6; they drive more like two different models than just a different engine. The 1,6 makes significantly more power and far greater torque than the 1,3. There's a substantial difference on the road with modern cars.

I'll admit that my current engine makes lot more than stock power. And I run short gearing. But there was a real difference even with my tired stock engine.

In any case, a 15-year old daughter would be much better served by a 1,3 Sport. Sport 1600s are hard to find and a good bit more expensive. If you're looking for a daily driver, the early all-alloy cars tend to be a little more fragile, so I'd suggest a 1,3S -- either 1st or 2nd series, or a later S1 1,3 with only the doors and bonnet in alloy. The only real difference is the leva lunga of the 1st series 4-speed versus the more 'modern' vertical stick of the S2 5-speed; that comes down to personal preference.

Beyond that, choose on the basis of condition.

And, yes -- the Artcurial car does look very nice. Though for a 15-year old driver, I think I'd put the bumpers back on...

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF

Last edited by 1,6 HF; 10-29-2016 at 09:07 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post

And, yes -- the Artcurial car does look very nice. Though for a 15-year old driver, I think I'd put the bumpers back on...
The car looks great in deed, but I am looking for a car in full road trim and very important for the purposed use, no war paint please. The common Cromodoras are accepted (as are the steel wheels), but it must have bumpers.

This one is for sale as well, it is a 1.3S with aluminium doors and hood. I like this a little bit more than the other one, because of the rubberless bumpers, chrome face and front window chrome frame. But to come back to one of my questions. Is this one lower than the one above? And if yes, how did they do that?

Perhaps I should explain one thing. In Germany you are allowed to "accompanied driving" with 17, meaning that e.g. one of your parents has to be on the codrivers seat. My daughter will only be able to test drive the car on The Farm for short distance and otherwise have to wait untill she is old enough. But that is 1 1/2 years only. Up to then I will victimise myself (?) driving it

Probably it will be the next to inspect

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 10-29-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode