Flaminia Convertibile 3C - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I think I will try to solder it. As you say building it up with copper would mean to rework the edges afterwords. if you make a mistake there, you have to do it all again (and again and again).

You are absolutely right about the accuracy of some of these guys. Once I made new door handles for my Flavia Vignale literally spending days and days on working out the edges and curves. And this butcher simply draws the part over his gigantic belt sander.

That was a steep part of my learning curve!

But one has to be fair. i spent some time with my plater in the shop, it is a Sisyphos task (Germanism?) if you want to achieve a perfect result

Hubert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S

Last edited by Tedesco; 09-10-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 PM

Impressive, and difficult/laborious hand work.

Was the original cast in Zamac (zinc alloy/white metal)? As it has a considerably lower melting point it can be, and usually is, die cast in rubber molds, with better surface finish, and less need for grinding.

The brass castings may fare well with vibratory finishing. A good shop should be able to spec the right media to polish without losing all the edges.

Sisyphean is how we say it.
post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:27 PM
lgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
After correcting the last small issues I presented the car to the TÜV, which can be a torture for man and machine (when you try to get a certificate for a car that left the road 35 years ago). The inspector was in a way impressed, but that did not keep him from complaining about the tires, which in his eyes appeared to be winter tires, but did not have the characteristic M+S sign. He was confused, I was sure (that the Michelin 165x400 are definitely what has to be on the rims).

Finally he followed my arguments, but insisted on stamping two approval stamps in front and behind of the id number of the car. I can not describe my feelings watching him hammering around with his embossing tool, talking to himself, "I can´t see anything, have to punch harder ..."

Anyhow, finally I held the expertise in my hands, enabling me to register my absolutely favourite car.(This is to happen on Tuesday, I wonder what the guys at the registration will say, as I only have a very limited assortment of documents)

I went about 400 kms with intermediate number plates, the engine is so smooth, no transaxle vibrations, inlet sound even more exciting than exhaust, you get goose pimples driving this car!!!

Regarding wheel colour, we identified a RAL ivory tone to suit well, but the paint shop missed it.

Meanwhile I found a spare wheel, where we scanned the colour from inside the rim, so I have a very original tin can of correct wheel paint now, only have to take the spare rims to the paint shop.
Sorry, I am new on this forum and somewhat late with my comments, but I am so impressed and touched! You have a wonderful car and the colour composition is so outstanding. Touched, because I can well understand your approach, because a silver/black 2.8 Convertibile was my first serious car ... I loved it and really regret having sold it. Naively, I thought a DB4 could top the Flaminia! Wrong! Although the AM is a masculine and characteristic car with a wonderful shape and sideline as well as perfect proportions, but it can't match the Flaminia's fantastic qualities as a fast, save and reliable driver. And all these technical and esthetic details! Probably the best end 50ies concept ... congratulation and enjoy it to the fullest!

PS: we share a similar taste; a had a Supersport, HF2000 and no Flavia, but the rest was the same!

Last edited by lgs; 09-10-2014 at 01:58 PM.

post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
But one has to be fair. i spent some time with my plater in the shop, it is a Sisyphos task (Germanism?) if you want to achieve a perfect result

Hubert
Sisyphean task is what you mean i think?
Sisyphus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
status report

To begin with the first picture: never, really never run a new or amended program with a good part in the machine. This time (again) the program command I typed in was in direction "x +". Should have been "x -".For the fine adjustment I am using a cutter of 2 mm diameter. It is very sensitive, two are gone already, but now I have found a setting which at least works, although the surface of the milling leaves a lot of optimising potential.

As can be seen on the following pictures the lower arm of the mirror sits well on the foot. I do not want to bolt the mirror to the fender metal to paint directly, so I had a mould made and a handful of pads (underlayments, mats, spacers?) made. Due to the small production lot it cost me an almost prohibitive amount of money. At least the pad was made on the same line otherwise used for BMW and Mercedes components. (I wonder if this is a quality statement or not)

The white part is a sample printed on a 3D printer.

Next step will be to get the underside of the foot processed. I will have to make the invisible components which hold the mirror to the wing as well.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S
post #51 of 93 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Update

backside machining, still five steps to go
Attached Images

post #52 of 93 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Hello TEDESCO,
i will send images of the mirror i have from my Aurelia.
I looks a bit like yours.
Btw, the mirrors you are developing interst me. Could you please tell me via MP how could icontribute to your project?
Thank you
ZZARCHI
post #53 of 93 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 02:29 PM

This is spectacular - although there is a risk that it will make everything else on the car look terrible.

My son has a mini-CNC mill, and the same experience with small bits and typographical errors. We used it to make the "2.8" that was missing from my convertible.
Attached Images

post #54 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Update

Don,

the 2.8 looks fabulous. How many hours of programming and testing?

Best regards

Hubert
Attached Images

post #55 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Hubert,

The 2.8 was simple, with just square and surfacing cuts. It took about two to three hours for programming and machining several, using a rubbing I made from the emblem on another car, even with a few coding errors and broken bits. I spent another hour with my hand files refining the piece for plating.

Your mirrors are absolutely spectacular, and many orders of magnitude more difficult. Even the engraved lettering looks perfect. Bravo ! I remain interested in purchasing one, but if someone else has more urgent need to complete a restoration mine would only be retained as a spare (and sculpture for my desk).

Best regards,
Don
post #56 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Update

Last week I started manufacturing the fixing elements. The steel bar on picture 3 will help to fold the tips of the strap to the correct angle, which yet has to be done. This strap will be mounted onto the wing. Instead of the two single holes at one end I made a slot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-10-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #57 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Last update

Things moved quickly the last days. My original plan for the fabrication of the spring washer was to make a simple pressing tool and modify standard washers. We made this tool, consisting of a seat and a plunger, but the washers available turned out to have wrong sizes. So I went for the turned and milled brass execution on the photos. The simple jig to fold the tips of the strap was finished today as well.

Spring holding mechanism finished, fixing straps finished (except galvanising), stem and mirror head finished, foot machining finished ("only" requiring polishing and removing of dents, scratches etc and chroming).

A long project is heading towards the end and the result is a mirror, only. Well, that is not true. I gained a huge amount of experience and benefit from a gorgeous knowhow boost.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-11-2015 at 11:40 PM.
post #58 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
more pics
Attached Images

zzarchi likes this.

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-11-2015 at 12:20 PM.
post #59 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:57 PM

macché bello !!!!!!!!
post #60 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
assembly before chroming

Checked them all once again. Last time i thought that all work had been done but spent another 16 hours on drilling, threading, adjusting . . .
Will definitely visit the galvanizer next week. It is high time because I start hating them
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode