Flaminia Coupé -the Bugatti-Wagen- - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Flaminia Coupé -der Bugatti-Wagen-

Hi everybody,

After one or two comments out of the dark distance, please let me briefly introduce myself in this forum. I would like to participate a bit more actively. As you can see, I focuss on Lancia, especially Flaminia. My cars are GT 3C, Convertibile 3C, Coupé 2.5, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth 70hp and the Coupé below.

Hubert

Barn find Flaminia

About two years ago, I was contacted by a strange guy, asking me if I were the person with the Flaminia Coupé featured in a certain car magazine. I confirmed that, and learnt that then I would be the right person to become the new owner of his Coupé, ready for restoration.

I was a bit surprised by the arguments of the seller, but decided to have a look at the car. The negotiations turned out to be difficult, as my contact was not the owner of the car, whereas the owner, to the words of my contact, was "a bit afraid of people". Finally I returned home with empty hands.

Weeks later my phone rang, it was my contact asking me, when I planned to pick up the car. Well, I asked him if he remembered that we did not have an agreement, no contract, not even a common feeling for the price level of this precious jewel.

My contact replied, that would all be true, but if the car would not move within the next three days his landlord would have the thing pressed. So I quickly decided to save the car from being scrapped and bought it for the price of a spare engine.

Luckily the car came with the original documents, showing only one owner from new. A quick research showed that the only owner was a well known man in German motoring sports during the thirties, when he was private race driver on Bugatti. When I cleaned the car I found a Bugatti-Club sticker on the windscreen, so I call the car "der Bugatti-Wagen".

Now as my Convertibile is finished, I think I will try to bring it back on the road.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-18-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Some more pics

the car is complete, had to pull it into my workshop room with a tackle as nobody around to help pushing.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-23-2014 at 04:24 AM.
post #3 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Good luck with it - Coupe's are definitely worth restoring.

Very jealous of your collection!

Keep posting the pictures as you progress. I hope to have my GT on the road next year - Flaminias are very addictive....

post #4 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:07 PM

Hubert,

I'm very glad to learn that you're going to save that Coupé. Please keep up posted on your progress.

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
post #5 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM

Looks like a nice project. Well done on rescuing it. My brother has one of these which hopefully will get restored. At least his though doesn't have the rust.

Will enjoy seeing this one come back to life.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years"
post #6 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Stripping is in full progress, I placed the body on a special "trolley". It was laid out to carry a Flaminia Berlina, but I am not sure whether this will ever happen.

Removal of the gear box was a thrill, the drive shafts were stuck in the connecting pieces and did not move. The left finally went but I had to cut the right connection piece. Maybe I was to impatient.

Due to my impatience the body shell crashed down during set up on the frame deforming the rear left fender. Luckily this is the part I acquired some weeks ago as original spare part. According to the stickers it left Torino in 1965, it is a long time, but finally it reached it´s destination.

Referring to the underneath of the car, let´s see what´s left after blasting
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S

Last edited by Tedesco; 06-28-2013 at 02:15 PM.
post #7 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
some more pics
Attached Images

Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S
post #8 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The body has been to the blast cleaning shop in the meantime. They used a special blasting material (sodium bicarbonate, better known as baking powder) to clean the painted parts. This is no joke!!! You can not remove rust with that, so the rusted areas had to be blasted with abrasive stuff afterwards. The shop also did the priming.

During stripping I found the last guardian of the Bugatti-Wagen. It was sitting in front of the right wheel arch behind the fog light. After all the nuts were finshed off, it obvoulsy tried the front mask and the fenders,which did not do good to it.

In oder to gain better access to the hidden areas I removed the front end. Now panel beating can start.

My shop has to be equipped with some more tools and devices. I must have a spot welding machine and an oxyacetylene torch!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 10-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
post #9 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
More pictures
Attached Images

post #10 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 PM

This is a very courageous project indeed - best wishes with it. Perhaps you should encase the "guardian" in Lucite, as a reminder that the car was in similar condition.

May I inquire where you found the technical information posters ?
post #11 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
A friend of mine digged them out somewhere (i do not know where) and scanned them. Mine are 1:1 scaled prints of these scans. I will take pictures of each of them and place them here.

They are really nice and although based on Berlina very helpful for an overview.

If you like, I can try to find out if there is a chance to make a set available.

Last edited by Tedesco; 10-24-2013 at 01:48 AM.
post #12 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Technical images part 1
Attached Images

post #13 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
and part 2
Attached Images

post #14 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM

These are great I would love a set of those, there similar pictures in the repair manual but not as nicely laid out.

Here is another Flaminia curiosity
Attached Images

Julian Wood, London, UK
post #15 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
A friend of mine digged them out somewhere (i do not know where) and scanned them. Mine are 1:1 scaled prints of these scans. I will take pictures of each of them and place them here.

They are really nice and although based on Berlina very helpful for an overview.

If you like, I can try to find out if there is a chance to make a set available.
Many thanks for this information and the photos. The drawings are beautiful, fully reflecting the special character and sophistication of these cars.

I would be grateful if you could inquire about making a set, but I would be even more interested to purchase the digital files of the scans. They would be rather easier to ship, and I could then print in even larger scale for the walls of my new garage.

Again thanks,
Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode