Flaminia Coupé -the Bugatti-Wagen- - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Just as well you are welding and hammering Hubert - keeps you warm and you Germans are tough, aren`t you? I thought you chaps that live where it gets really cold in winter would have some form of heating in workshops? How do panel beating or car workshops get on in winter when the temps really drop?
I presume you are going to let extra metal in to make up those gaps after correction of the wing rear? How is that going to affect the fitment of the boot panel? I`ve been there before and you end up correcting one thing after another because of each panels relationship to the next - a bit like chasing your tail.
The car is looking great though. I sometimes reignite my enthusiasm by looking at the photos as it was and the bits I have already done because you do forget and sometimes it seems as though you are getting nowhere. Keep up the fantastic work.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, '74 2000 GTV, '76 Alfetta GTV, '77 Alfetta GTV.`00 156
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
When enthusiasm is running through your veins, you do not notice the temperature. My rooms are part of a hundred year old factory, which is out of operation for forty years now. The old heating has been removed some day in the past. I only rent the rooms and therefore am hesitating to have a new heating installed. Today temp was 6°C, enough to start sweating.

Where possible I chisel the panels out and hope to be able to weld them with very little filling material. In other places I use an angle grinder with 1 mm discs. I will have to use filling rod there. Will report when coming to that point.

I don´t want to fix the wing before having solved the lower rear panel connection issue. The boot lid has to be fitted too, but one of the hinges is broken, so the panel holding the hinges has to be made first . . .

See pics how I approached this chapter.

Hubert
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S
post #63 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
Ratten
Hubert , I had the same 'tennant' in my Fulvia Rally hidden.

Sauber gearbeitet, hohes schaffen wünsche ich dir!
http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/zerjQJaSdi.jpg

Last edited by hufo; 02-14-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: insert picture

post #64 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Hubert the more I see of your restoration the more admiration I have for you. I have gone over this thread time and time again because of my admiration for the Flaminias and the work you have performed -That is a monumental restoration which really is the kind only tackled by professionals and your end product appears to be as good. Essentially a tens of thousands of Euros job if you didn`t do it yourself. Absolutely fantastic.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, '74 2000 GTV, '76 Alfetta GTV, '77 Alfetta GTV.`00 156
post #65 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the friendly words. Right now the parts have been removed only. Let us see how rebuilding will turn out. But you are right Richard, having that job done would cost much more than the commercial value of the car will be afterwards

A friend of mine came over from Vienna this week. We wanted to do some weighing and balancing on the pistons and conrods for his Flaminia Convertibile.flaminia touring

We ended up with a weight difference of 0,1 g for the pistons, the pins(Bolzen) were ok (difference 0,2 g ). The conrods (Pleuel) needed some attention. Started with a max difference of 4 g and a center of gravity difference of almost 1 mm. Ended up with a difference of 1g and +-0,25 mm of balance point difference.

Went out for the first open ride this year.

Hubert
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S

Last edited by Tedesco; 02-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #66 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The upper traverse and the top panel are ready. Pictures show parts before final trimming. The top panel of the traverse is convex from front of car to rear and concave from left to right.

I used the English wheel for the convex curve, resulting also in a convex shape from left to right. That was not what I intended. I folded the edges to 90° and used the shrinker to turn back the cross directional convex to concave. Do you know a frog in a panel? (a buckle jumping back and forth). It drives you crazy!!!

Now the spare wheel recess is in progress. Originally made of only two panels, I have to make each half out of two pieces.

Hubert
Attached Images

post #67 of 236 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM

Wow, panels like this are very difficult to make in one piece - it`s not until you try to replicate that you find out how difficult. I`m impressed - I`d have made it in three parts probably- using my gas welder to connect each to the other and just filed and planished to get right.You`re professional standard undoubtedly. Car should be fantastic when finished.

Richard J
post #68 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The spare wheel pocket is almost finished. Gas welded the two parts of each shell, and planished them with the pneumatic hammer. Also fitted some couplings to the air hoses of the hammer, so I can use it at the steel table or at the car.

Copied the reinforcement embossing of one shell free hand. That has to do for the moment.

Hubert
Attached Images

post #69 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
more pictures
Attached Images

post #70 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Einfach eine Augenweide deine Arbeiten.
Da hast volles Programm ;-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #71 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
No new panels this week, but I am making some moulds for the reinforcing seams of the trunk floor. Of course none of them is like the other. When I counted correctly, there are 11 different shapes to be found (including the seats for the two covers and the groove for the fuel pipe) and I want them all as close to the original as possible.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-07-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #72 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Hubert, have you got your own milling machine as well? What material is the mould? Some kind of hard plastic, or aluminium ( I see no cutting lubricant required)? Great idea though for something like that surface. Is the mill CAD, or have you just transferred the measurements onto the cut piece manually and used manual control to follow your pattern drawn on it?

Richard J
post #73 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Richard, the milling machine belongs to my company. It is CAD and I wrote the programs myself. In the first machining picture I was only scratching the surface at very low speed in order to see if the program is correct, so no lubricant was needed. In the second picture you see that there is plenty of lubricant/coolant.

The straight lines could have been made by manual control, but the radiuses can not be made manually with that machine.

The raw material is the most simple mild steel, sheet thickness 10 mms, so I can use both sides.

On Monday I hope to finish one or two of the bigger moulds. I am really excited how it will turn out. You will see photos.

Hubert

post #74 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Most of the moulds are ready, so I started embossing. It works very well, I like the precision of the embossings. An additional advantage is that there is very few distortion in the panel.

Made some mistakes in the programs leading to some off way milling, but I am improving, only crashed two milling cutters so far. The machine only has a working range of 40 cms. I had to shift the bigger plates and program in two steps.

I started stamping with a wooden hammer, then refined the shape by means of a wooden "chisel", which I made out of a hammer shaft. Then i used special "chisels" I made out of aluminium. They do not leave sharp markings on the surface of the panel, but have to be reshaped every five minutes.

Found a five digit number on the old floor panel. It is not the spare part number. Does anyone have an idea?

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-14-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #75 of 236 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
more details
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-16-2014 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode