Flaminia Coupé -the Bugatti-Wagen- - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 242 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Some backwork, the first set of components has been cleaned and powder coated. Part of them will be backup for repairs of the other cars.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 242 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Manufactured the first big panel. To punch the grooves I made a small mould. The panel is not fixed yet, will have to make the small webplates first.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S
post #33 of 242 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Webplates ready to install, made a nice little tool to fold them all identically
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-23-2014 at 04:20 AM.

post #34 of 242 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Very nice work Tedesco

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, '74 2000 GTV, '76 Alfetta GTV, '77 Alfetta GTV.`00 156
post #35 of 242 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
Some backwork, the first set of components has been cleaned and powder coated. Part of them will be backup for repairs of the other cars.
Looks like you have parts from 3 Flaminia's there....!
post #36 of 242 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
That is right. Here they are.

Should have placed them on ebay!!!

Perhaps the fork lift was too much for the light blue Coupé

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 11-29-2013 at 11:28 AM.
post #37 of 242 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
A lot of work, virtually no progress.

It took some days to prepare the panels. The "profile taker (?)" is a very helpful tool. (There are up to five segments that can be connected)

Hubert
Attached Images

post #38 of 242 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Hubert, how are you shrinking that flange on the radius - tucking fork , or have you got a shrinker/stretcher? Great work by the way.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, '74 2000 GTV, '76 Alfetta GTV, '77 Alfetta GTV.`00 156
post #39 of 242 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Richard, I have a shrinker/stretcher but also used a small tool I made on the milling machine to get the step properly shaped.

First I folded a strip of about 5 cm and stretched that until the base panel was plain again.

Then the fin was bent and afterwards shrunk until it was roughly right.

Finally the finishing was made by means of the special tool.

The C-frame device is a combined machine, below shrinker/stretcher and pneumatic planishing hammer top.

I have also modified an old small shrinker/stretcher to achieve more working depth.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 12-15-2013 at 05:43 AM.
post #40 of 242 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 AM

It is always good to see how others do their forming as I often pick up tips or alternative ways of doing things. Is that a combined shrinker/stretcher and planishing tool in photo 4?
They are versions I haven`t seen before. Are they German?
I`m not as capital intensive as you in that all my forming, shrinking, planishing etc is done by hand and it does take a while unfortunately but a shrinker/stretcher may be the next purchase.
Admire the work, and of course the car you are working on.

Richard J
post #41 of 242 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Some more panels in place. The lower strip has been spot welded. That is really easy, as long as the spot welder is set up correctly. If not, the spots look beautiful but will jump open if stressed.

Richard,

the planishing hammer and shrinker/stretcher is from Eckold a Swiss/German company.

Here in Europe their "Kraftformer" is regarded to be the ultimate machine for single or small series panel forming. The price for these machines is prohibitive.http://www.eckold.com/en-us/home.aspx

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 12-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.
post #42 of 242 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Left rear wheel housing under construction

Hubert
Attached Images

post #43 of 242 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Fitted the drain pipes to the sill, ths time made out of copper instead of mild steel.

Roughly made the wheel housing, (the covering panel between fender and the housing is still missing). In order to fit it properly, the fender should serve as fixing point. Unfortunately the fender also needs a lot of work before it can be used. But it is flexing by only looking at it, so I am afraid of welding panels in. Does anyone have an advice?

Hubert
Attached Images

post #44 of 242 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Hubert, I am concerned about galvanic corrosion of the steel around that copper pipe. I don't see how you could sufficiently isolate the metals to avoid this.

FYI the 3B Pininfarina coupe that Donald Osborne had restored by Wayne Carini is for sale at Gooding's Scottsdale auction: 1963 Lancia Flaminia 3B Coupe | Gooding & Company, Rescue Me--Flaminia PF on Ebay.

Best wishes for the new year,
Don
post #45 of 242 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 PM

Hubert, have you got a gas welder? I would weld that fender repair using a gas weld. If you tack first it will eliminate distortion and as you can get behind the panel there is no problem anyway. There will be almost nil distortion in fact I have welded with basically none. The gas weld can be planished very easily - can be done without using filler rod. I have seen but haven't used it yet a dough like sustance that absorbs heat and minmises any distortion which is an added insurance in case you are not confident. It is recommended for any type of welding or brazing. As long as you have support under that panel and the two pieces are held by magnets, or little clamps there shouldn`t be a problem.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode