Flaminia Coupé -the Bugatti-Wagen- - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 242 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM

If I may, the design for construction of the door is a PF design, not a Lancia design.

That said, I have had a few PFs, and seen many others. When they are right they look and feel magnificent, but metal gets tired. Door sag can be an issue, and poor refitting, with one
corner not quite flush, absolutely spoils the surface.

That won't be the case for Hubert....

As to what is "really required", that's rather subjective, no? Myself? I'd favorably compare Lancia engineers against most contemporaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 242 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:42 PM

From my perspective it is nice to see something whereby pure function is not the sole criteria. Those inner pieces of the door ensure strength and that tank like feeling by reducing movement on a large door at time of striking closed. The holes strengthen (and marginally reduce weight) plus they look good. A cheaper car would have had just W beams for reinforcing and nowhere near the number of pieces within. Nice to see something made by artisans - like yourself Hubert. Done for form and feel with no CAD. Not necessarily the most efficient way but who cares - tactility and form rules and keeps these art pieces interesting forever.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, '74 2000 GTV, '76 Alfetta GTV, '77 Alfetta GTV.`00 156
post #228 of 242 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:18 AM

actually, from a structural standpoint the door is a very good design. the diagonal brace from the bottom hinge area provides support for the trailing structure of the door. as long as the a pillar is intact, that door will fit the opening perfectly. i love it.

brian
s1 fulvia sport, s3 appia vignale

post #229 of 242 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
After collecting tips and tricks from various sources, today was the day to try my first complete door skin on the English wheel. It is not finished yet, but the result achieved so far is absolutely promising. One key statement was, if you understand what you (resp. the machine) do to the material and see how it reacts (the result), you gain control and when you have control you have all you need. Maybe i am at 80% control and 20% coincidence by now.

No coincidence but simply a little bit of carelessness was the use of the vise grips causing some dents. Luckily these could be easily rolled out.

Now the bead roller has to be delivered even faster, because the bead at the door skin needs to be made with it!

Hubert
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S

Last edited by Tedesco; 02-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.
post #230 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Octopus

While waiting for the new equipment, there was some spare time to make a new and very useful tool. It is not my idea, but it is "freeware".

The original device has four arms, but is mounted on a slightly wider base plate. Mine had to be made of material "off the shelf". The plan was to fix it on a stand so that it can be necked. The aluminum rod used for the hinges was good for making eight arms, so two semi-octopusses were made.

For the first test, a front wing was mounted to them. It is obvious, that the wing would be a bit too big for only one of the devices, whereas the two of them fix it perfectly while it sits on the table. One could think about a versatile base, allowing to put the two base plates in different distances.

Hubert
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, A112 Abarth, Flaminia Coupé 2.5, Fulvia Sport 1.3S

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.
post #231 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Looks like artwork

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #232 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:49 AM

Garage
Hubert's whole place looks like artwork - love this thread

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #233 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I see a face. The radiator grill fits quite well, maybe a little bit of fine tuning at the driver´s side . . .

Hubert
Attached Images

JCDK and PhilBoncer like this.

Last edited by Tedesco; 03-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #234 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:27 PM

So Hubert how are you going to alter that opening on the drivers side? Will you remake it or hammer it back and then reform, or will you build it up with lead and file form it?
Its looking good. Amazing from where you started from.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, '74 2000 GTV, '76 Alfetta GTV, '77 Alfetta GTV.`00 156
post #235 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 AM

Another milestone!
Seeing this I feel very privileged owning a original solid and rustfree car! (At least, let me think it is... underneath the paint...)
Keep up the great work!
post #236 of 242 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Richard, the grill is not positioned properly yet, it might come by 1 or 2 mms. Panelwise the new parts are exactly where the old were. They formed the mouth of the grill using a lot of lead which had been removed when rebuilding that part. It is ok to do it the same way, I think. At least it´s worth a trial.

Jones, keep yours dry and enjoy it!

Hubert

post #237 of 242 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Mandatory break

The project had to be paused due to some other more important topics. But at least the new equipment has arrived. There was no time for extensive testing yet, but some bead rolling on test panels was fantastic

The shrinker/stretcher and the bead roller are from LAZZE Inc, CA. They are incredibly well engineered and executed, it´s simply awesome. My Eckold shrinker is high class, (Eckold is the reference here in Europe), but the LAZZE tops it all.

Moreover, Lazze is sharing his knowhow by supplying his equipment with a set of DVDs showing how to do things right.

Lazze also does hands on workshops, but California is far away. I should definetely come over to lift my skills to a new level. Maybe before starting the next project.

The brake also is a US brand, but made in Asia. It replaces my homemade brake, which was better than nothing, but could not handle the forces occuring very well.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 04-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.
post #238 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM

LOVE the lazze equipment. did the bead roller come with euro spec motor? i also like the brake. looks like a baileigh magnetic brake. i've been thinking about changing out my box brake for one of those so i can do radius bends easier.

brian
post #239 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
the bead goes on
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Brian,

the bead roller has a 220V/50Hz motor, only the German plug had to be attached. This has been agreed with Lazze upon placing the order and worked fine. Although I am not one of his students, he answers my questions and explains things clearly and in detail so that you know what to do.

The brake is a Baileigh 4816M. It is executed better than I expected although the release works a bit slow (we are talking in seconds, I´d expect a reaction like switching on and off the light, clamping is fast). There was no time to extensively test it, but I have already made two short sleeves with it. At least it works, but I was not as good as the guy on the Baileigh promotion video.

Hubert
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedesco; 05-01-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #240 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 AM

ahh, good to know about the release time. that might be an issue for me. funny, i have other magnetic devices and they release very quickly. i wonder if there is something that can be done to modify that.
can't wait to see what you make with your new stuff! enjoy!

brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode