'59 Zagato 750 DB - Someone can help me? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

'59 Zagato 750 DB - Someone can help me?

Hi,
I'm writing from Italy and I'm new of this forum so... greetings to all. I own a 1959 Abarth Zagato 750 DB (chassis 625313, Zagato body number 160)currently being restored. The car comes from USA but I don't know nothing about his history.

Recently I found, well hidden in a pocket of a door panel, two receipts (dated 1963) which can be a trace.
The first, Mars,08th,1963 was issued by European Motor Inc., Knoxville
(TN) client: Atomic Speed (and) Sport, Oak Ridge TN.
The second, dated May,12th, 1963, by Bearden Hardware & Marine, Inc.,
Knoxville, issued to Mr (or Mrs) E.S.Thomas.

So is reasonable to assume that the car, in the early sixties, was around
Knoxville (Tennessee). Whats Speed and Sport? May be a tuner or a racing team? Someone know nothing?

Some details of the car lead me to think that this can be had a sport past:
- on the engine there is a plate of a tuner: B&H Engineering (someone know
nothing about it?)
- the engine is fitted with a Mille Miglia crankshaft, lightened and
polished connecting rods.
- there is the second little radiator line under the car (this is almost
common).
- on the inner of each rear fenders and on the floor there are the typical holes of a roll bar cage.
- each seat is fitted with seatbelts, etc.

Thank you to all, since now, for any news.

Zagato59
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I will forward to two friends who were in this area at this time and see if they can help.
Andrew
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi Andrew,
many thanks....I hope that some news comes out!

Greetings

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Tennessee Double Bubble

I can't help much. I was living in Knoxville in the early seventies. By that time, "Atomic Speed and Sport" was defunct to my knowledge, and I don't know who they were. The late Rasey Feezel lived in Oak Ridge (which was/is called "The Atomic City") and raced Alfas. This was in the early seventies, same time I was in Knoxville. Oak Ridge is a quick 20 miles up the freeway from Knoxville. Perhaps he was "Atomic Speed and Sport." I cannot recall if Rasey ever mentioned racing a Double Bubble, though.

In 1975, when I went to work for Madison Smith, the Alfa dealer in Nashville, there was a Double Bubble sitting forlorn and in rough shape on a back lot. It was too rough for me, and that is saying a lot about the poor condition of the car. I believe I recall that Mr. Smith had raced it, but I cannot remember anything else about the car. I have sent an email to one of his sons, who is a member of the AlfaBB, to please provide any info on that car, if he in fact knows or remembers anything about it.

Same car? How many Abarth Double Bubbles could there have been in Tennessee back then?

OldAlfaGuy
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Dear OldAlfaGuy,
thank for your reply. May be the same car? who knows? My car arrived from USA (California) with a started restoration. Is fitted with recent Californian plates that cannot tell much. No news about previous registration(s). I don't know the original conditions. The floors were in very bad shape but the body was already done. I'm doing once again all the work from bare metal, and the aluminium (as you can see in the photo) is not bad. In truth, I went further and I removed all the alu body from the frame.
The original paint was light blue and, at some time, someone painted the headlights sites (under the plexi) with metallic gold, this I found under the primer.
These signs remind you of something?

Greetings and thanks for your time.
Z59
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM

I hope it isn't radioactive.. Oak Ridge is the home of the Manhattan Project...
Manhattan Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

That's why Oak Ridge is called "The Atomic City." Interesting story. Like a science fiction tale. My aunt (mother's sister) went to work for the Atomic Energy Commission right out of college and spent her working career at Oak Ridge. The AEC chose to build the nuclear facilities (Oak Ridge National Laboratories) there because of the abundant electrical power available from the all of dams in the area that had been built by the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority), one of the huge projects Roosevelt initiated to create work for all of the unemployed that resulted from The Great Depression. At the same time the AEC built the ORNL facility, the city of Oak Ridge was designed and built from scratch to provide a place to live for all of the people who were hired to work there. They created a city overnight for the purpose.

There were two facilities, one named X10 and the other Y12. As I recall X10 was just regular Top Secret, and Y12 was Super Dooper Top Secret. When I lived in Knoxville in the early seventies, Union Carbide was the firm contracted by the AEC to operate the two plants. A small cadre of AEC (including my aunt) oversaw the Union Carbide operation. Rasey Feezel was employed by Union Carbide and worked at X10, IIRC. Some years ago I heard that Union Carbide told the AEC they wanted out of the bomb-making business, and to find another company to replace them. I don't know who came in after them. I heard once, but have forgotten.

OldAlfaGuy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Not surprisingly, there's also an Atomic Motor Speedway in that area of Tennessee.

So "Atomic Speed & Sports" makes perfect sense. And with a name like that, they were probably what we called a "speed shop", meaning that they sold tuning parts to both rodders and sports car guys, and probably built rods or tuned cars in the back. At least that'd be my guess.

Rick, Oak Ridge and Hanford made the fuel, but the home of the project was Los Alamos.

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 AM

Garage
I knew of a couple of importers around the Visalia, California area that had a couple double bubble coupes, and one of them was blue. They were in a body shop getting some body work and repaint. I lost contact in 1990 so I have no clue what ever became of those cars. send me a PM and I will give you a name to look up.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM

abarth 750 gt

Dear Zagato59!
You may want to contact MR "JOHN DE BOOR" he as the archives of all Abarth cars and may come with the history of your car.
You need to resgister your car in is data base and with your vin # it will be traced the history of the car.
Send me your Vin # .....to my private mail I may look up in my current files.

Ciao! and bingo you have an Abarth
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM

I don't have any information on your car in my records, but if you haven't already contacted John de Boer, email him at iicar@earthlink.net
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Dear PabloAbarth, dear Charli,
many thanks for your the reply. I have already had I contact with John De Boer and my car is in the IICAR database. Very kindly John reply to my "message in the bottle" but him too, at the moment, nothing knows about the car.
You can find the chassis n and Zagato body n in the text of my first message.
Thanks again and if there are good news.....from my side I will not surrender until I do not discover something!

Greetings.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Does the car have it's decklid? I have one I found at a shop in NC...the state right beside Tenn...

Thanks

Al
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Dear Al,
luckily the body of the car is complete, still fitted with its original parts, Zagato body n160 stamped on.
Greetings and many thanks for your offer.
Attached Images

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 PM

anybody can help with my zagato nr169?

do not know mych about...rgds.henry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode