De Tomaso Mangusta race car - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

De Tomaso Mangusta race car

Here are some pics of the Mangusta racer at the HSR West vintage races at Auto Club Speedway this last weekend. This is the only Mangusta racer that I have seen after many years of going to races in the SOCAL area. It sounded great and was driven with gusto! You can see from the pics that this thing is really short. Very cool!
Attached Images

Greg
1967 Duetto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

**swoon**

Thanks for posting -I hadn't heard of anyone trying to race one either, very cool - love the wheel arches (tail lights, not so much).

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

VERY cool. A family friend in the UK had one of these 15 years ago (or so) and it was, erm, 'highly patinated'. It was painted (mostly) white and had a set of shark's teeth painted on the side of the nose like the old P-40 Tomahawks. I doubt that any of the panels were straight, and there was liberal use of safety wire and baling twine to hold things together. It was also extremely fast. This guy turned up at a well-known drag strip one Sunday morning and, lined up next to him, was this guy in a Ferrari F40. To say that Fred left this F40 for dead would be an understatement and so chastened was the F40 driver by this experience that when he finally reached the end of the straight he headed straight for the exit and was never seen again. The Mangusta was eventually sold and has now been exquisitely restored by its new owner (who even learned the skills of upholstery and metalwork so he could truly say that it was all his own work) and the car is occasionally seen at Italian car gatherings. Still sounds as good as ever, too .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Fabulous and an all time favourite. Pity that the racer loses those whacky engine covers along the way though....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I got a few more pics processed, so I thought I would post them as well. Yeah, this car does have a very exotic look to it. The flares really do set it off. They were done in aluminum, very period correct looking.
Attached Images

Greg
1967 Duetto
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Mangusta Race Car

Here are some pictures of a DeTomaso Mangusta that was raced in IMSA, before vintage. These were taken at Road Atlanta in the early seventies.

I am also posting a picture of a lovely 246 Dino that was raced in IMSA, too. The picture was also taken at Road Atlanta in the early seventies, but it was a different weekend than the one with the Mangusta.

Ted A.
(OldAlfaGuy)
Attached Images

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

IMSA Mangusta

DeTomaso Mangusta at Road Atlanta.
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

IMSA Mangusta

Coming out of turn 5.
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Enjoy the video.....

.... turn UP YOUR SPEAKERS!!!!

subitocorse.com - Digital resource for classic transxale Alfa Romeo cars
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Ted, I did a little digging and found some more pics of the red and black car at Racing Sports Cars - Home Page , looks like it ran at Sebring, Charlotte, and Mid Ohio in 1973. The Mid Ohio car was white and blue, but one of the drivers was the same for all three races, so it might be the same car. It would not let me pull the pics to post here, so you will have to go to the site to check them out if you want. Warning!! you can waste a lot of time on that site as it is pretty extensive.

AlvaroSeco Thanks!! The video is very cool.

Greg
1967 Duetto
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
VERY cool. A family friend in the UK had one of these 15 years ago (or so) and it was, erm, 'highly patinated'. It was painted (mostly) white and had a set of shark's teeth painted on the side of the nose like the old P-40 Tomahawks. I doubt that any of the panels were straight, and there was liberal use of safety wire and baling twine to hold things together. It was also extremely fast. This guy turned up at a well-known drag strip one Sunday morning and, lined up next to him, was this guy in a Ferrari F40. To say that Fred left this F40 for dead would be an understatement and so chastened was the F40 driver by this experience that when he finally reached the end of the straight he headed straight for the exit and was never seen again. The Mangusta was eventually sold and has now been exquisitely restored by its new owner (who even learned the skills of upholstery and metalwork so he could truly say that it was all his own work) and the car is occasionally seen at Italian car gatherings. Still sounds as good as ever, too .
i believe this is the car your talking about?

here what it looks like today..

cheers
Attached Images

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAlfaGuy View Post
Coming out of turn 5.
great shots!

here's another
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
The F40 was'nt exactly left for dead! Mangusta ET 12.01 F40 ET 12.5
Fred
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Grant
Too bad they put a V8 in the Mangusta....

My dad almost bought one for 8,000 in the early 80's. And a Turbo 2 Renault, and he had Le Mans raced 1300 Simca Abarth. If he had all 3 of those cars now, we could probably buy a second house !

1987 Milano Platinum - check for many new items. [B][COLOR="Red"]
[/COLOR][/B]

1989 Verde - Harsh shocks and SS rears, 27mm torsion bars, stainless lines, pads, 16X7.5 rims, 4.10 rebuilt platinum tranny, poly bushes, and RSR 28mm front and 25.4mm adjustable sways!

1984 GTV-6 - 80K miles
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I have the Corvette LT79 powered Mangusta, made at the factory, 8MA670. There are several videos on the internet by DT ROCKSTAR 1. I have written a book about the design of the Mangusta, 7000 words and 64 stunning full color images. It is an art and design book that discusses the design, engineering and fabrication of the car and de Tomaso's vision of a race car for the street.

It is called BELLA MANGUSTA, The Italian Art and Design of the De Tomaso Mangusta and is available on the internet and from Xlibris, the publisher.

It is being sold in Italy, the UK and across Europe as well as in North America. If you are interested in the car at all you will enjoy the book very much and learn a lot about it. Giugiaro designed it on his kitchen table and it really was designed over a racing chassis, a forgotten fact due to it's stunning beauty.

DICK RUZZIN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode