A funny FIAT... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 AM

A funny FIAT...

In 1956, Gianni Agnelli commissioned to Pininfarina a special vehicle based on Fiat 600. The idea was to build a car service for guests of the Villa Leopolda, one of the summer residence of the Agnelli family.
Built in 1902 by King Leopold II of Belgium, Villa Leopolda is always the most beautiful residence of the Cote d'Azur and is strategically located on the heights of Villafranche-sur-mar, Villafranca marittima from 1861 to 1945 under the italian House of Savoy. (The property was purchased in 2008 by a russian oligarch for 750.000.000$). The special 600 was called the "Eden Roc" as the promontory overlooking Cap d'Antibes. Guests of the Villa Leopolda, therefore, could visit the beautiful park, boasts of Donna Marella, but well cared for throughout the year by 50 gardeners, or be accompanied in a cove for a swim. This vehicle was derived from a platform of Fiat 600 multipla, which retains only the mechanics and the grille and curiously hasn't the Pininfarina's badge, but the legendary flags crossed only. The interior, inspired by those of a motorboat, are in teak as well as the planks on the sides and bumpers. In the late '60s, this car was taken to the Lingotto in Turin and replaced the Fiat 1900 Cabriolet Boano used by Prof. Valletta to lead guests to visit the factory. My father (employed in FIAT at that time) had the opportunity of a ride, sitting in front though. The car turned out to be very inconvenient for visitors, perhaps at the Villa Leopolda was equipped with pillows, because the seats were hard and there were no handrails to hold on while standing on mythical helical flights of Lingotto. And in case of rain could not get to the track on the roof because there was no canopy. Some evil said that Gianni Agnelli reserved it for the "unwelcome personality". However several times he drove it, up and down the factory. The car moved to Mirafiori and was later shelved and sold. Purchased by an american collector, the picture seems happy, has been restored in their original colors and presented to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 2006. This is a very funny car!
Attached Images

Last edited by PG1964; 01-18-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I'd love to see it...

Thanks for the story and photos, I'd love to see that car. But I don't want one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Why does that remind me of a Chevy Corvair Pick-up?

Very interesting car!

1972 Montreal
2008 Mercedes E550 4-Matic
2005 Mercedes C240 4-Matic
2013 Ford Taurus (company car)
2008 Piaggio Fly 50
1977 Peugeot 103 Moped
------------------------
Former Italians:
1968 Fiat Dino Spider 2.0 2003 - 2013
1992 164S 2002 - 2008
1981 Spider Veloce 2001 - 2003
1974 Fiat 124 Spider 1979 - 1981
------------------------
Dad's Former Italians:
1962 Giulietta Spider 1964 - 1969
1969 Berlina 1750 1970 - 1971
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modena782002 View Post
Why does that remind me of a Chevy Corvair Pick-up?
...that shrank in the laundry.

PG1964; Interesting story and great pictures. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Corvair, maybe.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Mini Moke.

Mo in NJ
Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 AM

Here is the preproduction model of it as displayed at the Pininfarina design museum:
Turin :: IMG_0476.jpg picture by thadkirk - Photobucket
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Does anyone have an idea of this cars or a like cars value? Production numbers?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM

They made the ONE of this. No way to establish value.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM

I have been lead to believe that there is another one here in So.Cal. and I was asked to abtain info on it. It is currently not restored so I'm trying to find as much info as I can.

I'm thinking that maybe this is the same one being restored. Anyone know what it may have sold for to the American that bought it and brought it to the USA?

Last edited by hotrodbob; 03-15-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: ms spillin
Old 01-27-2011, 02:25 PM

I apologize in advance for digging up this zombie thread, but I was hoping some more information may have come to light since the last post.

I can confirm that there are, in fact, two Eden Rocs in existence, one in the possession of a Reno-based Pininfarina collector in the picture above and the other in the possession of a private collector in southern California, which was recently restored. There are rumors of a third car residing in Florida, but they are unconfirmed at this point.

I'm researching the Eden Roc for a feature story in Motor Trend Classic magazine and would appreciate any additional information anyone would be willing to share on the car.

Thanks in advance!
Scott Evans
Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM

I sent you a MP.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Very nautical... from the U shaped wood slat cockpit to the wood laminate rubrails and bumpers.
Needs a mast.

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Recent pics. taken from someone here?

Attached Images

'67S
'66 912
'57 Vespa150
'62 Lambretta150
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 PM

It's almost comical that it took so long for collectors to recognise that such cars are a work of art! I only wish I had the money to roam the world looking for these treasures years ago, as do many of us. The price of individually has x 10 over the last decade.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiuliettaLucine View Post
Recent pics. taken from someone here?.
not mine, but looks like Palos Verdes 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.