Abarth Crate Engine 1050 Info needed - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Abarth Crate Engine 1050 Info needed

Hi everyone, I really hate to keep asking help on pricing, But my partner has some cars and engines I know nothing about . We are having a hard time getting pricing for an original Abarth 1050 engine ( 75 HP ). Never installed, never run. Personally I would think it would need a freshening up but I dont know that that is true. It was bought new in 1967 for a moretti sportiva we have and decided not to install it. Any idea what price range this engine is worth? To be honest, From the prices I am getting for the Moretti, It might be better to use it as a boat anchor Any help would be appreciated. Again, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Hi there,

The 'Abarth' 1050cc engine is actually and Autobianchi motor, fitted to A112 Abarth models from 1976-1986...it didn't exist in 1967. If it's that old, you may have a 982cc motor, but who knows. I can tell you what you have if you have an engine number.

An A112 1050cc engine will have A112-A2 at the start of it.

A crated unused A112 motor would probably fetch US$2-3,000, if it is genuinely unused. They cannot be fitted to a rear-engined Fiat (or derivative) with out a reasonable degree of modification (especially a CCW rotating Fiat 850 motor).

However, you need to know exactly what you have first - a genuine Abarth motor (i.e. something from 1956 to 1971) would be worth more in 'as new' condition.

Cheers,
Duane
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Something is amiss with the 1967 date for the 1050 engine. Like the previous poster said, if it was from that era, it could be the Abarth 1000cc motor but not the A112 1050. Do you see any serial numbers on the block or head you can post?

Back to your question, the 1050 engines have become hard to find and rather sought after. I have heard of worn out engines needing complete overhaul selling for over $3000, and I paid that for a new one 14 years ago when the dollar was strong. A brand new motor in good working condition I think would fetch 2 times that amount or more.

If it has sat for that long though, it may have damage from storage. Does it turn over?

By the way, It wasn't too hard to put that motor in a Fiat 600 based Abarth car. The hardest part was drilling the crank for a pilot shaft bushing. The machine shop that did mine said the Abarth crank was made of the hardest metal they ever tried to drill a hole in. That motor also will not take the mechanical water pump fan assembly that was used on the 600's. I had to run an electric fan and a PBS racing water pump.

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 11-22-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

More Info

Yea, I have to get a number off of it. My partner is 73 years old and not the greatest on giving information sometimes I will repost when I have more correct information. Thanks a bunch.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schank View Post
Back to your question, the 1050 engines have become hard to find and rather sought after. I have heard of worn out engines needing complete overhaul selling for over $3000, and I paid that for a new one 14 years ago when the dollar was strong. A brand new motor in good working condition I think would fetch 2 times that amount or more.

If it has sat for that long though, it may have damage from storage. Does it turn over?

By the way, It wasn't too hard to put that motor in a Fiat 600 based Abarth car. The hardest part was drilling the crank for a pilot shaft bushing. The machine shop that did mine said the Abarth crank was made of the hardest metal they ever tried to drill a hole in. That motor also will not take the mechanical water pump fan assembly that was used on the 600's. I had to run an electric fan and a PBS racing water pump.
Goodness! US$3,000!?! I paid US$2,000 a couple years ago for my rebuilder, when the market was at it peak. A friend of mine has been offered no less than 10 short motors for sale recently at less than US$1,000. Given the current economic climate, prices are down down down.

With long term storage, one would have to assume the engine in question would need re-honing and a clean out to become a runner. Given that the Sportiva if Fiat 850 based (not Fiat 600), and assuming it is a 1050cc motor, to fit to a Moretti Sportiva it would need at least a sump (US$500-US$750), reverse rotation gears (US$500), valve cover (US$100), plus crankshaft machining, before fitting the Moretti carburettor, clutch and exhaust system. To control the cooling issues related to increased output, a thermostatic cooling fan (US$50), front or transaxle radiator (US$200), new water pump (US$300) and oil cooler (US$50)...it's not a small job. I know, because I'm doing it right now to my 850 Special!

Anything more than EURO$10,000 in the current economic climate is fantastic for the Moretti...jump at it, or hang it from your yatch. Check out Scuderia Topolino for the parts required, as they now own the rights to market PBS parts.

Last edited by degruch; 11-23-2008 at 03:14 AM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Moretti

Sounds to me like someone is selling very rare cars too cheap. And I am glad to hear that there is at least ten Abarth engines out there like this one at bargain basement pricing. Funny but an article I read recently said there was only ONE sportiva with the original running gear in the United States. And I am betting there arent a lot of the Abarths that are unrun either. I am not a Moretti or Abarth guru by any means. I am learning about this car as I go. My partner bought it at the factory , Not me. I apoligize for this posting, Please pay it no more heed. I will not be selling this car or this engine at give away prices. BTW, Any one owner Sportivas with less than 10,000 KM's on it for 10000 Euros out there ? Let me know. I might just buy them instead of selling.... Again, Thanks a lot
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 AM

Hi Gofast,

Sell it at EURO50,000 if you like Marion, I am an enthusiast, not a dealer. It all depends on how long you'd like to hold out for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your car is in pieces and needs to be completed, right? The car's one owner history does do it a favour, but don't be misled by others with inflated values in mind...if it needs a lot of work, restoration costs are not cheap these days, and the buyer should bare this in mind. As for an A112 motor, it is not worth much on the current market, IMO. However, if you have a genuine pre-1971 motor, it's another story.

Cheers,
Duane
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Moretti

The car is NOT in pieces. Chrome and small pieces was taken off to have it professionally prepared for paint. Everything is back on it. Ready to stick it back in storage again. Thanks for all the answers.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 04:02 AM

No problems...you ask, I'll answer. BTW, the original Moretti Sportiva engine is stock Fiat 850. However, from my observations Peter L is the Moretti expert on this forum, so he is better placed to give you an accurate price for your car than I - pictures will help though. Please don't take my opinions to heart (although it sounds like you have a price in mind already). I, on the other hand, am a pretty good judge of Abarth engine values...if you have an engine number I can help you. Otherwise, I can tell you, an A112 engine will not be worth any more than US$3,000 to the right buyer (I should know...I'm very opinionated...:-))

Cheers,
Duane
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Moretti

As I Said, I am going to have to talk to my partner and find out when he bought the Abarth engine. And exactly what size it is. It has been around 40 years since he purchased the car, so things might get a bit fuzzy. As far as the Moretti, I dont think I will pursue the sale of it any longer as it doesnt seem to be worth enough to make it worth the effort. Thanks
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 AM

if the motor checks out to be a new A112 motor , and posters think $3000 is current value, I may have a buyer for it at that price. Let me know..
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Be aware that the Autobianchi 1050 rotates in the opposite direction of the normal Fiat 850 engine. You can't just bolt it in in place of a Fiat 850 engine. If you do you will have one forward gear and four reverse gears.

Greg Gordon,
HI Performance Store, Inc
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 12:11 PM

It would be for a hot rod Fiat Multipla project a friend of mine is doing. I forgot to ask if the engine was in the US. Have to remember this is an international forum!
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Moretti

Engine is in the US. But I really dont think I will be selling it for $3000.00. Thanks for the reply tho.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:56 PM

It sure would be cool in a Multipla! Then again, the old Multiplas are just plain cool anyway.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode