Abarth Crate Engine 1050 Info needed - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdesen View Post
Hello
According to the "Abarth buyers guide" by Peter Vack the Autobianchi 112 Abarth were actually modified by Abarth (by then also a part of the Fiat group) and sent to Autobianchi in Monza.

As far as I know the Fiat 127 Sport 70HP has nothing to do with Abarth - but perhaps engines were identical.

Engines produced like that surely haven't the stamps to identify production month etc. as the parts used for early Abarth engines.

Regards
Yes the 1050 127 is a completely different motor,strangely.Its an overhead de-bored 128 single over head cam.I was offered 1 for $50 but there was no way it was mating to a 600 or 850 gearbox.
I am sure it has caught a few out over the years.
Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schank View Post
If anyone has a line on a 1050 engine for sale, please send me a PM. An A112 Block plus head would be good. A complete motor as pulled out of an A112 with all the bits attached would be even better. Needing full rebuild is fine too.
Andy i sent you an extensive pricelist,photos and parts compatability advice a few days ago.All prices were below market price (exc exhaust) here in Europe and at home in Australia,i know,i sold 2 motors that i prepared this month.I have also bought and sold Abarth motors from and to the USA this year (Record Monza and 1000 TC).

Grant Gauld
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Gauld View Post
Yes the 1050 127 is a completely different motor,strangely.Its an overhead de-bored 128 single over head cam.I was offered 1 for $50 but there was no way it was mating to a 600 or 850 gearbox.
I am sure it has caught a few out over the years.
Grant
HA !
There was 2 types of 127 1050cc motors !! 1 was the A112 1050cc 70 hp and another was the Rally (?) 1050cc which was a 1300 de-bored Fiat 128 OHC motor.
That makes as much sense as Fiat making there 124 spider and coupes out of class with 1438 v 1300cc and under class and 1608 v 1600cc and under class.Hmm
Grant

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 AM

[QUOTE=Grant Gauld;683291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by degruch View Post
Goodness! US$3,000!?! I paid US$2,000 a couple years ago for my rebuilder, when the market was at it peak. A friend of mine has been offered no less than 10 short motors for sale recently at less than US$1,000. Given the current economic climate, prices are down down down.

Duane,10 short motors for $1000 ??? Please send a pic !(i just trashed 6 motors and gearboxes that looked the same).Unless you have seen it in the flesh,dont believe it.There was an old wifes tale of the Fiat and clutch guy near Brisbane having the same deal about 12 years ago.In fact he only ever bought 1 motor into Aus and 1 crank and piston set (now in VIC).I know i saw them and spoke to the people face to face.But still i hear about the Aussie 10 Abarth motors (diff to your story).
Did you hear about the 5 Fulvia Zagatos with expired parking in Singapore ? Again i spoke the owner of 1 of the 2 cars.Another ripper.

Grant
Hi Grant...that was US$1,000ea. However, they turned out to be blocks only. Still, you can get a complete engine off eBay for around US$1,500 if you want to try importing yourself. Having done it, I'd much rather buy off someone who really knew what they were doing next time.

Hi all...for those keen on an A112 Abarth motor, here are some numbers for reference:

Fiat 850 (817cc): 100-G3...
Fiat 850 (843cc): 100-G203..
Fiat 850 (903cc): 100-GB...
Fiat 127 (903cc): 100-GL...
Autobianchi A112 (903cc): A112-A0...
Autobianchi A112 Abarth 58hp (982cc): A112-A1...
Autobianchi A112 Abarth 70hp (1050cc): A112-A2...

There is also a 965cc Autobianchi A112 Junior, that apparently is a short stroke version of the 1050cc motor, but I'm not sure if they share the same block number. Superficially, the FWD engines can all look very similar and I've heard of a few Junior motors being sold as Abarth motors (not that I'm suggesting 'Gofast' would sell anything less than as described above, and Grant is a very well respected trader ). If you are after an A112 Abarth motor, always check the engine number if you are in doubt.

Happy hunting!
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 AM

Duane,
A $1000 each,not a wifes tale after all.
The Block IDs may help buyers,well done.
Remember after 30+ years many many motors now have different bore sizes and strokes in them.The only real way to check is to take the head and sump of,if possible.It certainly will not make you popular if you then get on your bike and race off to the moon without buying the now dissasembled motor.

The Elegant A112 965cc motor which is not very common is in fact a 903cc A112 motor with 67.2 70HP pistons.It revs nicely but lacks the torque of the 1050cc.

The A112 heads tend to crack around their welsh plugs on the top face.The blocks tend to crank around the cam entrance on the front face.The cranks tend to crack on the journals where the hardening meets the jounal.Oversize forged pistons are not cheap and oversize main bearings can be hard to find.
That said,they perform so so well for their capacity.
Grant
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Abarth Engine

Well, I have an engine that has never been in a car. It was run for a few minutes to make sure it was good. I understand that is not a bad thing. Now I am being told it is not new and that it isnt worth but a thousand dollars. It is also being hinted at that I would sell something other than what it is. I thought someone on here could use the engine, I guess I was wrong. Of course, with the market flooded with 100,000 of these engines available I guess I just have something worth nothing Good thing it doesnt cost me anything to leave it in storage . Thanks for all the good info guys. I now know our Moretti and our spare engine is basically not worth much. If anyone wants to buy the engine, My number is on posts above.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast View Post
Well, I have an engine that has never been in a car. It was run for a few minutes to make sure it was good. I understand that is not a bad thing. Now I am being told it is not new and that it isnt worth but a thousand dollars. It is also being hinted at that I would sell something other than what it is. I thought someone on here could use the engine, I guess I was wrong. Of course, with the market flooded with 100,000 of these engines available I guess I just have something worth nothing Good thing it doesnt cost me anything to leave it in storage . Thanks for all the good info guys. I now know our Moretti and our spare engine is basically not worth much. If anyone wants to buy the engine, My number is on posts above.
Haha! Yes GF, you're obviously peddling a $500 Fiat engine

Well, I'm happy to lend my opinion to those who ask, I'm not the only 'expert' available for comment, and I'm not to upset that you've labelled me a cheapskate because the engine is not worth an outrageous amount of money. I think both are worth good money, as has been quoted, but if it's not enough (and hardly likely to increase in light of recent Wall Street performances), I really do believe you should just put the whole lot in storage.

If I know of anyone after an A112 engine, I'll be more than happy to forward your details
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Moretti

I dont think I ever labeled you a cheapskate. And I dont beleive, Nor does anyone else that thinks about it, That an engine this old, and this new isnt worth more than a worn out engine. I have what I have. And I feel it is worth what I ask. I am not broke and I do not have to sell it. I just thought someone here could use it and I could get a decent price out of it. If I cant, I will keep it. No Problem. I do appreciate all of your information on the engines. I admit I dont know a lot about them, yet. But I am learning. Have a great day.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 AM

Just to add to the confusion.....
PBS did a few conversions years ago, putting a 128 motor in 600 sedans. My friend had one. Everytime that he would go against my 600 with a hotted up 903 it was interresting. If he went easy, I would win. If he really jumped on it, the input shaft would break and I would win ;^)
The best performance combo made for street driving was the A112 with PBS cross-flow head! 1050cc, 120 HP and a tourque curve as flat as Kansas!! Drove a friends Moretti Sportiva with one and it was wonderful .
Oh, considering that Abarth and Alfa ran their new engines on a dyno before installing, his motor is still "new"

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Abarth

Thank You !!!!
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
Just to add to the confusion.....
PBS did a few conversions years ago, putting a 128 motor in 600 sedans. My friend had one. Everytime that he would go against my 600 with a hotted up 903 it was interresting. If he went easy, I would win. If he really jumped on it, the input shaft would break and I would win ;^)
The best performance combo made for street driving was the A112 with PBS cross-flow head! 1050cc, 120 HP and a tourque curve as flat as Kansas!! Drove a friends Moretti Sportiva with one and it was wonderful .
Oh, considering that Abarth and Alfa ran their new engines on a dyno before installing, his motor is still "new"
Hi,
First i think the previous posts hint at the motor having a value between 1000 and 5500$.Including my imput.
Abarth DID dyno their engines.
This is not an Abarth motor per se,nothing after 1971 was except perhaps the Lancia Rally department,and perhaps Osella's flirtation.Nonetheless an Autobianchi motor from the 80's was a mass produced FWD motor.Please keep it in context,i love these motors (!!!) but they are a cheap alternative to the real thing,Abarth TC and OT motors (dynoed at the factory).
Your 'as new' motor should/could reach $5,000+ and i hope for you but....you did ask us how much we thought it was worth.
PBS actually made a beefed up input shaft,if that broke the car was really under stress.Fix it and what would go next ?
Lastly,120 BHP is not possible from a PBS head 1050 cc A112 motor.I believe 115 was the closest dynoed fuel injected result so far at an enormous financial input.On paper it allways looks different.In fact dyno results vary as much as 'what is it worth' opinions.
Please dont take offence,just my opinion.
Grant Gauld
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

No Offence Taken. All I know is that it was ordered from Italy as an Abarth engine from a reputable supplier. I guess it will continue to sit in the storage Thanks for the reply...
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM

It sounds like you do have an Abarth engine from Italy,an Autobianchi Abarth engine at that.Given the expense of freight and taxes to the states you should be able to sell it to someone living there.Have you considered evilBay ?It can work even just to promote its availability and negoitiate afterwards,?.
Good luck,Grant
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Call me crazy, But I thought I would offer it to members of the forum first. Im kind of attached to it I might do Ebay, But I am not in a hurry to sell the engine. Probably not a lot like it left. Someone will need it eventually. Thanks for your replys, I know a lot more now than I did ...
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Hi... is the engine still for sale?
Do you have pics?
Thanks

CURRENT= '93 164L, 2x Milanos, VW Cabrio, '80 924 Turbo FIXERS= '91 164L PAST= Audi A6, 5000 & 200 turbo, 93 164 TS, Renault, Mitsu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode