Changing the subject within threads - Page 133 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 PM

Changing the Subject within Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
Actually, all I did originally was tell everyone what I was making for tonight's dinner...everything else came because of how you responded to that. I didn't even talk about it being important at all!

Now, how could I have been the cause?
Well, I guess, since you've admitted to being the cause I shouldn't even post my explanation...

I will admit to using the word "traditional" which Alex then responded to; it was based on the posts prior to Alex's since I had no way of knowing what Alex was posting while I was posting. But it was Alex who started the Dicken's discussion with what Scrooge had for dinner by asking the question.

FTR, I was responding to Alex's comment about what we were having for Christmas dinner being important as posted below:

"Obviously, whatever is being served at Chrsitmas is a VERY important topic...sorry."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1,6
Well, I like Cheryl's better. (Step away from the computer for 5 minutes in the middle of a writing a post, and that's what happens).
Was that in reference to my answers to Alex's acronyms or my public education thanks to the bb participants?

Just in case anyone is paying attention, we've passed 1,950; can we make 2,000 before the New Year?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
Was that in reference to my answers to Alex's acronyms or my public education thanks to the bb participants?

Just in case anyone is paying attention, we've passed 1,950; can we make 2,000 before the New Year?
It was for the acronyms (although neither of us won the dwarf chickens). In connection with public education on the BB, I had been thinking how close "public" is to an anagram of "pablum", but I figured I'd let that pass.

And before the New Year? I was wondering what time on Wednesday...

Last edited by 1,6 HF; 12-25-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
I'm not sure I follow that logic.
Huh? Is that something resembling work? Oh never mind, I don't really want to go down that path! It would be a whole nother thread

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 12-25-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
Huh? Is that something resembling work? Oh never mind, I don't really want to go down that path! It would be a whole nother thread
Well, then, we'll simply have to change the subject. Didn't I see a half-eaten board somewhere? Tastes like chicken. Or was it goose?...
Old 12-26-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
Or was it goose?...
Actually, the ham and prime rib was wonderful. The board sucked

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 12-26-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
Actually, the ham and prime rib was wonderful. The board sucked
1990 posts and growing. We only need a few more to make history here. Pearls before Pork I always say. Or was it the other way around?

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 12-26-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:21 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Following my holiday tradition, after enjoying an obscene amount of food yesterday, I've been sipping hot chocolate and eating panetone all day...

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Enrique, are you just a nighthawk or are you vacationing in some other time zone?

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! - Hunter S. Thompson 1971
Bianco 1985 GTV6 "Tramontana" (North Wind)
President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada & Club Alfa Romeo de Montréal
AROC USA, ARCC & CARM Social Media Chair (Facebookie)

Member: A.O.N.E., St. Louis & Capital Chapter AROC and Scuderia Non-Originale (SNO)
Club Alfa Romeo De Montreal (CARM): www.clubalfaromeodemontreal.com
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
(514) 771-9513
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
I don't believe that I posted that he bought it for his nephew, Fred; I concurred with you on that, that we, in fact, do not and did not know what was on the menu at Fred's house where Scrooge ate dinner Christmas evening.

A Christmas Carol (1938)
"In this version, Scrooge actually delivers his Christmas turkey to the Cratchits' personally himself on Christmas Day, with nephew, Fred, and his fiancée, Bess, both in tow."

A Christmas Carol (1938) - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

As I said, I did not go dig for my original copy of Dicken's as you did; this was the 1938 edition of the movie. I interpreted "his" Christmas turkey to mean the one his family was going to have instead of him personally delivering the one he purchased from the street vendor. I'm probably wrong in that interpretation; so along with Alex, I am more than willing to state that I was incorrect.

I believe we're in agreement here on the latter --- I have no idea where Garrison Keillor spent Christmas Day.

I have several A Christmas Carol book versions, I went and pulled the one that was easiest to get to; it is identical to the text that you posted in the area that we were discussing. The edition I pulled, has these notes at the back of it on the endpages:

"It is generally agreed that A Christmas Carol has helped promote Christmas as is, in the words of Scrooge's nephew, 'a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time' ever since it was published; yet the first edition has caused confusion and disagreement among bibliophiles for years. In some copies the title page is printed in red and green, while in others it is printed in red and blue. In some the endpapers are green, and in others they are yellow. The opening section can read 'Stave I' or 'Stave One.' Even the date on the title page can differ, with some copies having 1844 and others 1843.

Dickens himself closely supervised the design production of this first edition, which was first published on December 19, 1843, by Chapman and Hall in London. The following year a second edition was published with thirty-nine changes. Except for thirty-five of those changes, the text of this Holiday House edition is identical to that of the first edition published in 1843. The four changes not included are (references apply to this volume):

1. Page 12, line 14. The manuscript and first edition have double quotation marks after suppose? The second edition has a single quotation mark. This Holiday edition has double quotes.

2. Page 15, line 22. The manuscript and first edition have a period after gloom. In the second edition the period is absent, or else very faint. This text contains the period.

3. Page 33, line 13. In the first edition there is a dash after fervour. For the second edition the dash was removed and not replaced by another punctuation mark. The manuscript contains a period, which has been reinstated in this text.

4. Codes may be printed at the bottom of the first page of each signature in a book to aid in the binding process. None appears on page ninety-nine in the first edition. 2H appears on that page in the second edition. No such markings appear anywhere in this edition.

When it was not clear whether a hyphen at the end of a line in the first edition indicated a hyphenation or a word break, a facsimile of the original manuscript was used as a guide.

For those who wish to pursue the curious history of the first edition and its variations, perhaps the most plausible account is offered by Philio Calhoun and Howell J. Heaney in 'Dicken's Christmas Carol after a Hundred Years,' published in The Paper's of the Bibliographical Society of America, Volume XXXIX (1945). Appendix I in this study lists the thirty-nine changes that were made in the second edition."

And just think, all of this because Alex questioned what was a traditional Christmas dinner and if it was important to any of us......
My favorite part was when Tiny Tim breaks out his trusty Ukelele for a rousing rendition of "Tiptoe throught the tulips"- oh wait- that was another Tim- I hope I didn't derail this thread off topic...... BTW, hope everyone had a great Christmas, and is gearing up for a Happy New Year!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
Enrique, are you just a nighthawk or are you vacationing in some other time zone?
I'm in my regular time zone... We celebrate Christmas eve and this year we didn't get back home until 4:30 AM... So, so yes, nights and days are a little turned around. Nonetheless, many moons ago, I used to be a regular nighthawk. However now, I just don't need much sleep. Five hours a night (tops) is pretty normal for me, and it's not unusual that I wake up at 3 AM and get on the PC. More often than not, I wake up before 5:30 AM, and I don't own an alarm clock.

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 AM

Welcome back to whatever time zone you're in.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Happy Boxing Day, All!
Attached Images

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! - Hunter S. Thompson 1971
Bianco 1985 GTV6 "Tramontana" (North Wind)
President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada & Club Alfa Romeo de Montréal
AROC USA, ARCC & CARM Social Media Chair (Facebookie)

Member: A.O.N.E., St. Louis & Capital Chapter AROC and Scuderia Non-Originale (SNO)
Club Alfa Romeo De Montreal (CARM): www.clubalfaromeodemontreal.com
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
(514) 771-9513
Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Is that from the digital edition of Planet of the Apes?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Is that supposed to be what's left of the PC that the Statue of Liberty holds in her left hand? I ask 'cause they got the color wrong... it's supposed to be a bit more green...

What are you supposed to do on "Boxing day" anyway? I've asked and no one ever seems to know...

Oh, BTW, I'm definitely back in my time zone now...

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM

This has been happening quite often lately. Please start a new thread if you change the subject. There are now many threads that have interesting and valuable historical information, but it is difficult to find because it is not where it "should" be..

I’m sorry; I keep losing track of the subject. What post are we up to now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.