Audio info - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-18-2005, 07:51 AM

Audio info

I am in desperate need of finding a way to use my iPod in my GTV. Heck, I'd like to hook it up in my work car, but that isn't looking possible either...the GTV I can work with

I have a newer Alpine CD player in the car now...and would like to spend only a small amount of money putting an amplifier in. I figure that way I can run the iPod through the amp and make it easy.

That said, anyone out there have a good suggestion for a model to check out on ebay? I'm thinking $25 to $50 used....was going to go with Alpine, but am open. I don't know if I need 2 channel or 4...or any of that....

Thanks,

Ted

Former :
88 Milano Verde
78 Alfetta Sedan
87 Milano Verde
70 GT Jr. 1300

[URL=http://www.flickr.com/groups/scuderiano/]Scuderia Non Originale Flickr Group[/URL]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
I know some CD/radios come with aux jacks in the front of the units for just such a purpose. I suppose that they short into the pre-amp section. Have you asked a radio repair shop if they could wire in a jack for your IPOD? I know that there are cassette adapters so you can plug IPODS and CD players into radios with cassette players.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to GV27
A lot of Alpines have an Aux input in the back. Get an adaptor (RCA to Mini or whatever you call a headphone jack) from Radio Shack.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. My deck doesn't have an Aux output...my understanding is that you have specify you actually want the one with the output...otherwise you get the regular model. It is a CD player, so the tape converters don't work.

Former :
88 Milano Verde
78 Alfetta Sedan
87 Milano Verde
70 GT Jr. 1300

[URL=http://www.flickr.com/groups/scuderiano/]Scuderia Non Originale Flickr Group[/URL]
Old 05-18-2005, 11:52 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Have you tried a radio transmitter for the iPod? The tape deck in my Spider works crappy with tape adapters for some reason so I bought a Griffin iTrip. It works reasonably well for me, though the SF area can be pretty tough in places because the radio spectrum is so crowded.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
Old 05-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Yup have one, waste of money.

So no ideas about amps?

Former :
88 Milano Verde
78 Alfetta Sedan
87 Milano Verde
70 GT Jr. 1300

Old 05-18-2005, 02:34 PM

I have a Pioneer Cd player and it has (I believe most Pioneer units do) an aux in connector on the rear intended for control of remote CD magazine.Pioneer sell a cheap ($30) connector which plugs into this input and provides 2 rca in connections.I run my Palm MP3 into these and get great results.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Toptick
Audiovox makes an adapter that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit. If you have the capability of adding a changer, you can put the ipod in the glove compartment and control it from the CD controls on the head unit--and charge it at the same time. Cost is about $100, perhaps cheaper on ebay.
'84 White Honda Spree
'99 Black BMW 323i--Wife's new best friend
'03 Blue BMW 325XIT--Mine
'03 Volvo X/C 70 Family spare
Building a new garage
Old 05-29-2005, 10:37 PM

THe newest generation (2005) Alpines have direct iPod adapter available. All the older Alpine CD palyers have a connection to an external CD player, either Ai-net or non-Ai. Alpine makes a cable that connects to this ouput plug and has RCA connectors - mine cost about $60. Get a mini-phono jack to RCA adapter for your iPod and you're in business. Power thru the iPod dock jack with an auto adapter (they have a 12v to 5.7 volt regulator built in) and an aux 12 v power socket.

If you also get one of the Griffin remote controls for the iPod (IR or RF) the audio cable will route straight down behind the 'pod. Any car dock will also provide the mechanical support.

Robert
Old 05-30-2005, 09:04 AM

Sweet...I'll have to look into that. Knew there had to be a way...

Former :
88 Milano Verde
78 Alfetta Sedan
87 Milano Verde
70 GT Jr. 1300

Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have a mid to late 60's pushbutton (AM/FM) Blaupunkt with two outputs on the back for a CD player and / or iPod. It (in theory) has 40W per each of the 4 channels. It will be going into client's '69 Spider and fits original dash holes.

Umm, yes, its a tad bit modified also.

Perhaps that wasn't much help?

Biba
Old 05-30-2005, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to BKCowGod Send a message via Yahoo to BKCowGod
Hey Biba, that the same one you were discussing on the Digest about 8mo ago? Got any pix?

Ted - if you still want an amp, I have an old Denon sitting in the back of my store... Also, Audiovox makes a FM system that actually works pretty well because it connects inline with the antenna. I have it in my Mercedes and it works great if the aux in falls through.
Formerly - 1978 Spider
Old 05-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber

BKCowGod (do you not think I feel quite silly plugging in that name?) - so's you asked for it.

I'm very seriously looking for another face plate just like (or very similar?) to the one in the final shot. Have one on your back shelf?

Biba
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2005, 06:10 PM

Ooo... that's a toughie... I'm clean out of the vintage stuff lately, but could watch evilbay . Any branding or markings?

Very cool looking modification...
Formerly - 1978 Spider
Old 05-30-2005, 06:16 PM

Ooo... that's a toughie... I'm clean out of the vintage stuff lately, but could watch evilbay . Any branding or markings?

Very cool looking modification...
Formerly - 1978 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.