license plate from the 90's for my car? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
license plate from the 90's for my car?

is there anyway i can get a period correct 1992 license plate from NY on my car registered with the DMV?

i think it would be nice if i had the 1992 license plate in NYS on my model year alfa.

thanks.
Attached Images

1992 alfa romeo spider veloce
2000 saab 9-3 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
is there anyway i can get a period correct 1992 license plate from NY on my car registered with the DMV?

i think it would be nice if i had the 1992 license plate in NYS on my model year alfa.

thanks.
Some states, like Texas, allow this sort of thing. When I lived in Texas, I asked my local DMV if it was possible. I was told they would need to inspect the plates to make sure they reflected light at night. So, check with your local DMV. New plates should be easy to find.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Hit an Apex
Why don't you go to your local DMV and ask?

Just kidding. I don't think it's going to fly here. Just keeping my "6 character" plate was pain enough!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit an Apex View Post
Why don't you go to your local DMV and ask?

Just kidding. I don't think it's going to fly here. Just keeping my "6 character" plate was pain enough!
i am going to call them, but i don't think it will work.

just wanted to get some experience from anyone who might have done it.

thanks.

2000 saab 9-3 coupe

Last edited by lgbalfa; 12-26-2008 at 07:48 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

i called DMV - has to be 25 years old.

2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 AM

my "understanding" has always been that the issuance of the new (crrent) format plates was intended to entirely and completely replace the old (statue of liberty) format plates. it was "suggested" to me at the time by a cop (as part of a road-side chat) that the statute of liberty format plates had been rendered illegal and would subject anybody who continued to use and display then to a ticket and fine, even though the number on the plate was the same and even though the displayed number agreed with the registration (as the case with my plates). in fact I still have the old statute of liberty format plates.

I'd be curious to know what DMV says these days on this issue.

Griffo ('81 GTV-6/3.0)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

KY does the same thing. The car must be licensed as "Historic", then you can display any other plate (or facsimile) as long as it is 25 years or older. I just did this; registered the '76 Spider as Historic, and excempt from tax, then transferred it's "ALFA" plate to the '91 Spider and dug out a 25 year old ALFA plate for the '76. To comply with KY regulations, I still have to keep the historic plate in the older car.

So now I have two Alfas with ALFA plates...and it's legal.

Quote:

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 01-05-2009 at 03:24 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
my "understanding" has always been that the issuance of the new (crrent) format plates was intended to entirely and completely replace the old (statue of liberty) format plates. it was "suggested" to me at the time by a cop (as part of a road-side chat) that the statute of liberty format plates had been rendered illegal and would subject anybody who continued to use and display then to a ticket and fine, even though the number on the plate was the same and even though the displayed number agreed with the registration (as the case with my plates). in fact I still have the old statute of liberty format plates.

I'd be curious to know what DMV says these days on this issue.
So you are saying the cop told you "All" Statue Of Liberty plates are no longer legal and need to be replaced even if you are the same owner as when they were issued?

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Tango: pretty much (although this was some years ago, not too long after the then "new" NY style plates had begun to be issued) and yes, they were replaced by NY DMV whether you asked or not. they just showed up (when you renewed your registration I seem to recall). the current style plates have been in issue for what 5, 6 years now (maybe longer)

I have had the same "tag" (alpha numeric vanity plate) since the early '90's, so it was the same for both the Statute of Liberty plate and the "new" style. the new style plates have been on my '6 since this "chat" (I had resisted putting the new one on even though I had received them) and while I still have both front and rear Statue plates, I've thought it not especially prudent to put this to a test (travelling under the radar is the better approach to things I think).

as an aside, my 3.0 '6 is stealthy grey, not arrest-me red, for which I have had occassion to be thankful.

Griffo ('81 GTV-6/3.0)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Wow, what do you think the logic was behind that? Too hard to see the letters or some other BS? I know here in California that some specialty plates are criticized for being hard to decipher but they do not make you replace them.

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Tango I note that your use of logic and DMV in the same sentence. I don't think I'm brave enough to do that. all kidding aside, it made then and still makes no sense to me either. sort of a "go figure" personally I like the old Statue plates better anyway but... I did have it in the back of my mind to frame one of them, maybe with a picture of the '6 (I have a great one at speed at Watkins Glen in the rain...)

Griffo ('81 GTV-6/3.0)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:37 AM

with all the changing of plates in this state, we're lucky the're made by criminals who don't command too much of a salary - otherwise we'd be more in the hole than we already are. But the good governor has all the answers - he's now going to increase the gas tax, increase the liquor tax, tax diet soda's, raise the bridge fees when we want to take a trip and get the **** out the state, etc. Another real genius.

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart

Last edited by lowmileage; 01-06-2009 at 06:41 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 AM

a related "go figure": the regular, non-vanity/special order plates are stamped (I think, anyway raised letters and numbers, like in the "old" days), while the much more expensive vanity plates look like the letters and numbers look like they are merely painted onto a flat sheet of metal and look cheap.

Griffo ('81 GTV-6/3.0)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Just stumbled across this old thread today while looking for something else and figured I'd reply with some actual data. I've been (legally) running with a 90's era NYS Liberty plate for a few years now on my '91 164. I had to apply for an exception to have it be registered as "Historic", but it was quickly approved.

Unfortunately, there's currently not much of an advantage in NY to having a historic registered vehicle. Inspection fees are $10 instead of $21, but registration fees are about the same. There's been talk for years of a single-time registration fee, but it never gets approved by the inept NYS gov't. I did it more for the novelty of running the old plate.

Brad
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
Just stumbled across this old thread today while looking for something else and figured I'd reply with some actual data. I've been (legally) running with a 90's era NYS Liberty plate for a few years now on my '91 164. I had to apply for an exception to have it be registered as "Historic", but it was quickly approved.

Unfortunately, there's currently not much of an advantage in NY to having a historic registered vehicle. Inspection fees are $10 instead of $21, but registration fees are about the same. There's been talk for years of a single-time registration fee, but it never gets approved by the inept NYS gov't. I did it more for the novelty of running the old plate.
thanks for the feedback.

your license NY license plate does say "historic" on it though?

2000 saab 9-3 coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode