WA State emissions/inspections? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

WA State emissions/inspections?

Hi,

I'm in discussions with a Seattle company about a new job so there is a possibility that I might be moving to the area soon (hopefully I don't jinx it by saying this!) and I've got a question about the WA emissions/inspections. How does it work in WA? I've decided that I'll have to sell my GTV6 as I probably won't have anywhere near as much space as I do in NH but I've had my Verde for a long time and really don't want to part with it!

I've got CSC headers and replaced the cat with a pair of high flow cats coming off that then mated to the rest which is the stock exhaust. In NH that is no issue and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pass the visual in CA but what about WA? Also what do you guys do for emissions testing? We only do ODBII here and any car without that is exempt.

I originally bought the Verde in CA and then did the Seattle convention with it before driving it across to NH, that was a fun trip!

Thanks,
Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

The move is now confirmed so now I really need to know! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Move to Wa

Congrats on the new job and move. depending on the year of the GTV6 it may be an automatic pass if you register it as an historic vehicle. Best to talk with Fred Wright, Fred S or Chris Benny at Prova motorsports, 206-650-9659, and they can guide you. Any of those three guys know the WA system. Good Luck!

Neil
1966 Giulia Spider Race

"Nominum quid geminus?"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! This would be for the '87 Milano, going to have to sell the GTV6 I think.

Kevin

)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM

WA State Emissions/Inspections

Kevin,

I sent you a message through your website with another person you can contact, who has learned the rules and work-arounds, in the Washington area. He's a native and has used many of the work-arounds.

You don't have an e-mail address on the bb and my PMs have been full for ages because of Alfisti over the years.

Cheryl
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Got it, thanks Cheryl!

Kevin

)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Simple. If the car is 25 years or older, no tests. Our 89 Milano is done, as is the 91S, and the 94LS, which easily passed it's test this summer, will also not have to go again, as the schedule is a test every two years if less than 25 years old.

Have never had an Alfa fail the WA tests, which is basically just a probe up the tail pipe for test at idle and at 2500 rpm. Nothing else. No lifting of the hood, etc. The criteria for passing is for the year of manufacture. One year, the tester laughingly asked if the Milano was actually running it was so clean.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 12-07-2016 at 01:40 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Del.

Kevin

)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:21 PM

I doubt you'll make the move in time, but our next Alfa events in the area are on New Years Day for a nice drive, and then a club meeting on January 10th. Go to our website: NWAlfaClub.com for details. Either way, welcome to the NW.

Fred R
Friend for life to any jackalope that drives a Jr Z.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Alas I sold all the Alfa's, last one is being picked up today, this will be the first time in over 15 years where I didn't have at least one! Once I get a permanent place maybe I'll start looking again if I've got the room...

Kevin

)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

That must be a very good job move! Who bought the Megasquirt project?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I'll be working for Amazon, looks like it should be fun! I actually removed the MS from the car and put it back to stock to make it easier to sell (hadn't quite completed everything on the MS install to make it look neat and tidy. I'll keep that for when I get my next Alfa! The Verde drove away 30 minutes ago to its new home in VT, not used to hearing that exhaust sound leave without me.

Kevin

)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:50 AM

I hope the move has gone well. Our next few club events are coming up March 4, 14, 17, and more. Keep watching the AlfaBB, our website Northwest Alfa Romeo Club :: Welcome, or our facebook page (NWARC). We are always happy to meet another Alfisti.

Fred R
Friend for life to any jackalope that drives a Jr Z.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode