Swap Meet / Tech Session 164S Adjustable Shock Rebuilding June 27th - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Swap Meet / Tech Session 164S Adjustable Shock Rebuilding June 27th

On June 27th, NWARC will have a Swap Meet, Tech Session. To join the drive to the event, meet on the north side of Barnes & Noble at Northgate Mall by 9 AM on June 27th. They had a café and restrooms, last time I checked. The drive will wander north to Birch Bay via Chuckanut Drive to arrive at Via Birch Bay Café & Bistro at 7829 Birch Bay Drive, Blaine, WA 98230 around 11 AM. The Parking Lot will have an Alfa designated area for our Parts Swap. There will be literature, books, sales brchures, 2L stuff, as well as Milano and 164 stuff. No need to starve as lunch space is reserved on the second floor of Via Birch Bay restaurant at Noon.
The Tech Session for the pesky adjustable shocks on the Alfa Romeo 164S. They are either unobtainium or painfully expensive to repair when they stop functioning… but when they work, they’re very cool. Our member, event planner, and Alfa dude, Richard Gray will lead a discussion on how to repair these yourself.
When you’re ready to head home, you can always enjoy the sights, and curves of Hwy 9 following past the small towns and lakes. This is worth the time by itself.
If you think you will attend, please RSVP to Richard at: TheGhost@graycastle.com or at 205 341 6096.

Fred R
Friend for life to any jackalope that drives a Jr Z.

Last edited by AlfaMale164S; 06-01-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Hi Fred, I just came across your post back in June and wonder if you might be able to help me.

I have a 1991 164S which I purchased new in 91. I finally accepted the fact that the shocks are done. I have been searching everywhere for some help on restoring or replacing the ones I have, but with no luck. I would like to restore them if possible.

I would be grateful if you or Mr. Gray could point me in a direction which might help me find instructions on how to restore the shocks or the contact information of someone who is capable of doing it for me (for a fee).

Thank you.

Dario S.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Do a search in Steve's help hints, or a search for shock rebuild. There is a pdf file which has all the info you need to do the rebuild, posted by pinino.

Both Richard2 (Mr Gray) and I have done the rebuild, and they turned out fine. The job is not difficult but a little time consuming and you do have to keep track of all the parts. Luckily, I didn't have to have the rods rechromed as Richard did, so that made things a little easier.

Biggest costs were the new bellows, bumpstops, bearings, new seal carriers from pinino, and the new Harbor Freight impact gun (the Earthquake model, ~$79 which worked very well). The new seals themselves don't cost much at all.

Good luck.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 10-16-2015 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode